Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Let's Share Travel Tips

I have one for the ladies. For those who use curling Irons. I use to hate having to wait for it to cool down, before I could pack it in a suitcase.

I bought a cheap oven mit at the store. After using it, place the iron, brush or whatever in the mit, which can go straight into your suitecase, without hurting other items.

Now everyone share your favorite travel tip.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Familiar Face

Does that really work? I've been afraid to try it. I do have an 'ov glove' and thought something like that would work but not sure if it was cool enough. I too am nervous about the time it takes to cool the iron down before packing.
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have seen quilted pouches for sale to do that...the oven mitt is a good idea. With my little travel iron, I always wet a face cloth,and place the iron right down on it, for a fast cool..

I now will always bring a white light flashlight with me when traveling, & extra batteries..you never know when you might need it..strong and bright.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 1st, 2013, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsrocster View Post
Does that really work? I've been afraid to try it. I do have an 'ov glove' and thought something like that would work but not sure if it was cool enough. I too am nervous about the time it takes to cool the iron down before packing.

It really does work. I keep mine stored at home in the mitten, and use the loop to hang on the backside of the bathroom door.

Okay, Here's another tip. When you check into the room, and you have a mini frig, take the ice bucket while empty, and put it in the frig for about 30 minutes. After it has cooled, then put ice in it and return it to the frig. Your ice will stay colder, for longer periods of time. In some frigs the bucket won't fit, but by taking one of the shelfs out, it should fit nicely. I stand the unneeded shelf beside the frig, so I can return it when we leave.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 1st, 2013, 01:10 PM
Captain

2 tips:

1; I empty out the refrigerator and put bottles of water I've brought onboard. It kills me to spend $3.50 for a bottle of water when the whole case cost only $3.50.

2; Bring an extension cord/power strip as there is usually only one plug in the room. I have battery chargers for the camera, phone chargers, walkie talkies, computers etc so this one really comes in handy.
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old March 1st, 2013, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

On the last cruise on Carnival Dream they took my power strip and extension away from me. It was packed in my checked bag but they found it. That was in Port canaveral but I don't know if the applies to outer ports. Something new because on other cruises I bring along the power strip. Check it out.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old March 1st, 2013, 06:54 PM
First Mate

One of the items we always bring with us is an LED nightlite that turns on automatically when it's dark...I can't recall the term for it.

The ones we have are a little larger than a golfball, and swivel. I think we got them at Lowes and the came 2 to a package.

We were surprised last time we went out on Summit as they decided to eliminate the outlet in the bathroom where we usually plug it in. Every other place/ship we have used them.

I think someone else mentioned flashlights, and we take 2 with us as well. They are LED, about 3"-4" long. They were giving them out free (No purchase necessary) for awhile at Harbor Freight with a coupon usually in the Sunday paper. My wife has one on her side, I have one on mine.

We also take travel mugs with us. When on a cruise we use large plastic Dunkin' Donuts mugs. We like to get up early and go out on the balcony to watch the day break. I am tasked with getting the coffee, and the mugs with handles make it a lot easier. On land we use 2 metal LL Bean ones. When on land I always buy a small container of milk for the room, and keep it in the fridge. My wife likes her coffee light, and I cannot stand having to open a zillion of those miniscule creamers that are usually available. I take mine black.

These, and of course Kindles, are our travel tips.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:33 PM
Admiral

My travel tip

Do it often

travel that is....

Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old March 2nd, 2013, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Ray, They have never taken my power strip from me. It might be because I pack mine in my c-pap bag and they just classify it as part of my medical equipment.
I purchased an plastic document organiser. When I print my documents I put them in there along with my insurance papers and all the luggage tags. Passport goes in there too. I put in a pen also. I keep that in my carry on. while boarding everything I might need is right there at my fingertips.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 2nd, 2013, 01:53 PM
Admiral

Make sure to have your own pens .Do not use the ones in the cabin because they may not be clean .