CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Substances Onboard (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/394937-substances-onboard.html)

Ralendz March 4th, 2013 05:34 AM

Substances Onboard

It hasn't happened to me but I've heard about it before and I'm just a bit curious if it's happened to any of you.

When cruising have you ever been on-board with someone that has had some illegal substances with them, or heard of any experiences where someone has become ill from a drug of some kind.

What about cruises that stop of in countries that allow the use of some substances, like the Netherlands?

Manuel March 4th, 2013 06:17 AM

Substances can happen.

They can be found anywhere, not just where they are legal.

I have smelled wacky tabbaki on a couple of cruise but since it did not envolve me, there was no problem.

TM

green_rd March 4th, 2013 06:49 AM

Our recent stop in Aruba reminded us not to bring illegal substances on board even though they might be available in port.

Paul Motter March 4th, 2013 10:53 AM

People have been busted and ended up with major problems by cruising into places with strict drug laws.

Bermuda, for example, once went onboard a ship and arrested a guy who had been identified as a "dealer" during the days of cruising to get to the island. The kept him in prison and it eventually cost him a lot of money to get out.

Cruise ships have a policy that if you are caught with drugs they can drop you off in the next port of call by handing you over to the local authorities - and you have no control over where that might be. Many places are not that lenient.

seadog2 March 4th, 2013 02:13 PM

On a cruise we were on about a year ago several nights there was a very strong smell of grass down the hallways. I guess some people complained. One night the smell was particularly strong and ships security was knocking on doors. I think they found the culprits cause we didn't smell anymore for the rest of our cruise. It does happen.

Trip March 4th, 2013 03:22 PM

Not that jails here, aren't scary, but what "experience" could be worth the chance of ending up in a foreign jail, far far away? Think twice,then think again.

Dave Beers March 4th, 2013 05:11 PM

I think Bermuda fairly routinely will bring drug dogs aboard the ships for a sweep.

Too many stupid Americans think they have rights no matter where they are, when in fact all they might get is a visit from a U.S. consulate official offering to notify family of the predicament and providing a list of local lawyers who speak English.

green_rd March 4th, 2013 08:31 PM

A lot of people believe that the ship is an extension of the US.

Paul Motter March 7th, 2013 12:44 PM

That concept - that a ship is an extension of the U.S., is interesting. I never thought about it, but I will bet you are exactly right, that some people think it is like an American embassy where you are on "American soil"

Dave Beers March 7th, 2013 03:55 PM

Additionally, most Americans do not realize their rights are limited when in a Customs zone such as during debarkation. This is the 'border search exception' to the Fourth Amendment requirement for a warrant or probable cause. Customs could perform a cursory pat down of every debarking passenger for no specific reason if they wished and it is legal. More invasive body searches would need reasonable suspicion.

Manuel March 10th, 2013 07:00 AM

On one of my cruises the CD advised everyone to consume their " substances " before they reached an American port.

TM