CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   My cruise possibility in trouble (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/395115-my-cruise-possibility-trouble.html)

rayb March 14th, 2013 09:45 AM

My cruise possibility in trouble

Just got the news that Carnival Dream is still in St Maartin with problems. So looks like we are gonna be late on our departure from Port Canaveral on Sat 16th.

Looking for more updates.

sue March 14th, 2013 09:59 AM

Not nice! they seem to have a bit of problems lately? I hope it will work out for you and all the other cruisers!

DougR. March 14th, 2013 10:10 AM

At least they are in Port at St Maarten so the problems can be addressed quicker than if they were adrift at sea.

AR March 14th, 2013 12:05 PM

This poses an interesting question:

If you were booked on a ship that limped into port a day or two late, and were told not to worry, everything's fine, welcome aboard. . .would you be at all apprehensive?

As I recall, the Triumph was known to have had propulsion problems on at least one run before that little fiasco. Would something like this deter you in any way?

Dave Beers March 14th, 2013 12:21 PM

As you may have heard by now, the March 16 cruise has indeed been cancelled.

rayb March 14th, 2013 12:47 PM

Yep our cruise march 16th has been cancelled. full refund pluse 25 % discount on another cruise.

When I got the news. all I could say was ah S..t. Here we go again.

Aerogirl March 14th, 2013 01:02 PM

First off, Ray sorry to hear your cruise has been cancelled but look at it as a blessing in disguise.

Now as for Carnival, those who know me know I'm fond of Carnival because you really do get the best bang for your buck and after the Triumph incident I just chalked it up to "ship happens" as of now I do believe Dec 7,2013 will be my last Carnival cruise for awhile as I'm going to explore other lines. I'm starting to think Carnival Corp has some major issues going on and I feel they don't have their costumers best interests in mind.

Carnival is lucky that Dream just happened while at port, not so sure I believe Carnivals update I'm sure it's water down, at this time I just don't trust them and if I didn't book ES I would be canceling my cruise and booking with another line.

Once again Ray this was truly a blessing in disguise for you!

DougR. March 14th, 2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerogirl (Post 1467296)
First off, Ray sorry to hear your cruise has been cancelled but look at it as a blessing in disguise.

Now as for Carnival, those who know me know I'm fond of Carnival because you really do get the best bang for your buck and after the Triumph incident I just chalked it up to "ship happens" as of now I do believe Dec 7,2013 will be my last Carnival cruise for awhile as I'm going to explore other lines. I'm starting to think Carnival Corp has some major issues going on and I feel they don't have their costumers best interests in mind.

Carnival is lucky that Dream just happened while at port, not so sure I believe Carnivals update I'm sure it's water down, at this time I just don't trust them and if I didn't book ES I would be canceling my cruise and booking with another line.

Dont blame Carnival Corporation as a whole as their other independently operating lines do not seem to have the scope of trouble that the Carnival Line has experienced. Carnival is just darn lucky this one didn't turn into another Triumph. I will stick with Princess and Royal, thank you.

Aerogirl March 14th, 2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougR. (Post 1467298)
Dont blame Carnival Corporation as a whole as their other independently operating lines do not seem to have the scope of trouble that the Carnival Line has experienced. Carnival is just darn lucky this one didn't turn into another Triumph. I will stick with Princess and Royal, thank you.

True Doug.
I wonder where the costumers right come in, so your cruise is booked your contract signed and if things keep happening with their ships your just out of luck, does Carnival not have a responsibility to costumers by putting them on a safe vessel?

So lets say last month it was Triumph this month Dream two months from now Freedom people who are booked on these or other ships and are now concerned about their safety either cruise or loose their money,this somehow seems wrong.

DougR. March 14th, 2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerogirl (Post 1467300)
True Doug.
I wonder where the costumers right come in, so your cruise is booked your contract signed and if things keep happening with their ships your just out of luck, does Carnival not have a responsibility to costumers by putting them on a safe vessel?

So lets say last month it was Triumph this month Dream two months from now Freedom people who are booked on these or other ships and are now concerned about their safety either cruise or loose their money,this somehow seems wrong.

This one has no good answers. Yes they do have the responsibility to put customers on a safe vessel. However, I do not see any merit to allowing those in a panic over an incident on another ship to cancel at anytime without penalty. It would be not only an unsound business practice, but could welll result in the lines financial ruin. This would be akin to the airlines allowing no penalty cancellations after an aircraft crash. They don't allow it and no one expects it either.

Aerogirl March 14th, 2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougR. (Post 1467307)
This one has no good answers. Yes they do have the responsibility to put customers on a safe vessel. However, I do not see any merit to allowing those in a panic over an incident on another ship to cancel at anytime without penalty. It would be not only an unsound business practice, but could welll result in the lines financial ruin. This would be akin to the airlines allowing no penalty cancellations after an aircraft crash. They don't allow it and no one expects it either.

I agree over one incident but to me two ship in two months there's been some neglect on some level here. Obviously I will be taking my cruise in December but I have to say I'm beginning to loose some not all confidence with there ships and how sound they are, time will tell if I continue to feel this way. My post was referring to a continual problem if so happens.
I also wonder if we would of been hearing about this if Triumph hadn't had the issue last month.

DougR. March 14th, 2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerogirl (Post 1467316)
I agree over one incident but to me two ship in two months there's been some neglect on some level here. Obviously I will be taking my cruise in December but I have to say I'm beginning to loose some not all confidence with there ships and how sound they are, time will tell if I continue to feel this way. My post was referring to a continual problem if so happens.
I also wonder if we would of been hearing about this if Triumph hadn't had the issue last month.

This one probably wouldn't have been the hours top news if not for the Triumph. Like I said there are no good answers and I understand your concern. It looks like Carnival is really stepping up to the plate on this one making sure the passengers get home or to Orlando and allowing them to tour St Maartin until thier planes leave.

Donna March 14th, 2013 04:12 PM

Oh Ray,
Sorry to hear your cruise was cancelled, but better for them to cancel it over having problems....You will just have to book another one...

sue March 14th, 2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerogirl (Post 1467296)

I never sailed with them and will continue to avoid them. From what I read so far I am right. The last ship that drifted and people had no food etc I just don't understand why they did not air lifted food unto the ship and or took people of the ship. Either way when I was new to cruising from what I had read about Carnival in general it never made my list :roll: Just my 2 cents

Aerogirl March 14th, 2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sue (Post 1467329)
I never sailed with them and will continue to avoid them. From what I read so far I am right. The last ship that drifted and people had no food etc I just don't understand why they did not air lifted food unto the ship and or took people of the ship. Either way when I was new to cruising from what I had read about Carnival in general it never made my list :roll: Just my 2 cents

I have sailed Carnival and always said they get a bad rap, I have never had a bad Carnival cruise. They did have food that was all nonsense, way to much media overblow. Here's a good read on last months ship. My only issue is with what's going on now and hopefully this will force them to take a closer look as to what's going on.

Carnival Triumph: One Passenger's Story and Photos : People.com

Aerogirl March 14th, 2013 05:16 PM

One more thing as far as onion sandwiches that was reported as what people were being served there were sandwiches filled with lunchmeat it was the greedy people who pulled them apart leaving only the bread and onion behind for others but somehow that wasn't reported.

I have always found Carnival to be more than accommodating and for the most part great service but they do need to get the mechanical issues under control or they will loose loyal costumers.

Trip March 14th, 2013 05:52 PM

Ray, knowing you, you might have already booked a replacment cruise..The good thing for you is, no air is involved. Keep us posted on your new choice!

rayb March 14th, 2013 06:08 PM

Opinion

I like carnival and wil continue using them. Any piece of equipment that has moving parts and electronics probable have a malfunction. So The DREAM had a problem. That Problem can be fixed in time.

I have received an URGENT NOTICE from Carnival today. They were very nice and explained the problem. They will refund all monies I have pent and will give me 25% off another 3-7 day cruise. The category and other details will be honored as I had on the Dream.
I have no problem with that.

And so as soon as I got the message I called Nancy, our booking agent, and asked her book us on the Dream on April 27 going again to the Western Carib. I feel sure the mecanical problems will be repaired and she will be in fine shape.

Reason I am asking for the April 27 cruise is that I want to take Robert and his wife on that cruise because on May 1 will be their 1st Wedding Anniversary. And so Nancy is working and all we have to do is be patient.

I will never blame a cruise line for having this type of problem. As I said machines do break.

Trip March 14th, 2013 07:25 PM

See, I knew it;)

balabusta March 14th, 2013 08:13 PM

There can be "problems" on any cruise line but, after two bad "incidents" on Carnival, I would be very hesitant to even try going on a Carnival cruise. You would think that after "two mishaps", Carnival corporation would "go out of their way" to make sure that their ships are safe. They have a "major public relations problem right now" that could take several years to fix. Just giving those affected on those two cruises a discount or a partial refund for what they paid for the cruise doe not solve "damage control".

Donna March 14th, 2013 08:57 PM

This story actually made our evening news tonight....I sure hope they can fix the problem and not have to cancel any more cruises. I have not heard any recent updates on Triumph??

Ron March 15th, 2013 12:01 AM

And while most of the media and tens of thousands, or maybe hundreds of thousands wring their hands over a malfunction on a cruise ship that's safely in port on a beautiful island where no one is in danger of starving, being killed or injured, the bomb blast in Iraq that killed over 2 dozen people and injured scores of others got some mention on the crawl at the bottom of the screen. Odd world we live in. ;)
The Dream will be fine-- those who would create a problem if a puff of wind comes along will do so, some will accept it as it is and go on their way, some will sue and so it goes. And come Sept., I'll sail my 3rd cruise on the Dream, and enjoy myself.
Happy sails to all, whether on Carnival, RCCL , HAL, or regardless of what line you choose.

belgique March 15th, 2013 01:17 AM

Ron said it all. As a wise old friend (90 years old) said to me after 9/11/01, "You are not safe anywhere, so you might as well go everywhere".

Yes, Carnival has some major PR problems right now, but in each case (Triumph and Dream), no one was hurt, starved or died.

Think of the big picture of the world today and count your blessings. Inconvenience does not equal pain.

Cruznut2 March 15th, 2013 04:36 AM

Ray, I am sorry that your Dream cruise was cancelled. You never let these things upset you, you just jump right back in and book another one. I pray that your new booking will be a success for you. Have a wonderful trip.

Laura