Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Retired or Working?

Are you retired or working?

If you are retired, are you enjoying it as much as you thought you would, possibly even more?

If you are working, do you like your job? Is it your chosen profession?

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Retired in 1982. love it.

I Sail The Carnival Dream.

The Royal Princess Transatlantic.

I sail The Crown Princess to The Southern Caribbean.
Old April 11th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Admiral

I retired in 2006 D/H retired June of last year, yes we both are enjoying not working.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013

Last edited by Aerogirl; April 11th, 2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old April 11th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Admiral

I love being retired!

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old April 11th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Admiral

I retired from my full-time job after 31 years in 2006. But before doing so, we started our travel business in 2002 part-time so that when I retired, I would have my own business to work at and be my own boss. I'm also an ice hockey referee (30 years) and do that 5 to 6 nights a week - worked about 350 games last year.

I use to work a 7:00am - 3:30pm job, now I work from around 10:00am to 12:30am - guess you could say I'm not really retired as I went from working for someone else to working for myself and loving it! We really enjoy dealing with our clients. Plus, now that the kids are grown and gone, we're able to travel more often, which is something we really love!

So, like they always say, once you retire you become busier than when you worked full time - ain't that the truth!

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old April 11th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Admiral

I was a pre VMD student but changed to Psychology as my major . I worked in the Industrial Psychology department of one of the largest insurance companies in the US . I spent 25 years in the insurance industry and retired in 1998 .
After retirement I found myself being bored ,possibly because my better half was still working and I went to work in the Advertising industry .Aside from taking an elective class in Advertising while in college I had no expertise in the field .In 2001. I became Vice President of the company. In 2003 I retired for good but my wife continued to work until 2008 .
It was that year that we rediscovered cruising .
Old April 11th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Admiral

I retired from TVA in 2008 with 26 years in nuclear power as a radiation protection manager. I keep current in the industry with periodic consultant contracts, so I am really just semi-retired from my profession. I don't miss the daily drudgery of working at a nuclear facility and for a large corporation (albeit a federal one). I was fortunate to be able to retire from TVA at age 52.

Coincident with leaving TVA I became editor of the Cruisemates sister site, Cruisereviews, as well as a contributing writer for Cruisemates. Thus I am busy but have the luxury of working on my own terms and schedule. I am right were I want to be and happy.
Old April 11th, 2013, 07:22 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

I'm working....and I still have 30 years to go......*sigh*

I started out going for my degree in psychology and ended up in business. Now I work in banking. You would probably be surprised in how much I use my psychology training in banking...lol

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old April 11th, 2013, 07:55 PM
First Mate

I retired in 2006 and after being out for a year I was asked to go back and do some contract work. I did that for 5 years but worked only about 45 days at a time - twice a year. I enjoyed going back in but do enjoy being retired. My wife continued to work until 2007 and it was that year that we discovered the wonderful world of cruising and we have now cruised just over 100 nights. We love to travel and are working our way through our travel "bucket list."
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Still working for the man.

I the I might go into physical therapy in college and become an athletic trainer. Then I took anatomy. After that I switched major to computer science and have been a happy programmer ever since. I have worked in aerospace, pharma and finance,

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old April 11th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Captain

I "retired" from my last job over a year ago but will work again eventually. Just looking to travel to until the itch stops, best year of my life by far.

I'm only 32 lol.

11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries

Next cruise: None scheduled
PM me if you need a cruisemate for any Europe, transatlantic, or Panama Canal cruises
Date, ship, cost pp
Old April 12th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Admiral

I retired last year in May after 36 years in the telecommunications industry. I have toyed with the Idea of doing something part time but right now I'm just enjoying retirement. My wife and I also owned our own travel agency from 2001 -2008. Although my credentials are not current (RTA, TA, CTC, CLIA) I may re certify. If not, then Wal-Mart, Sam's Club or K-Mart. I can be a greeter.
Old April 12th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default poppadock age 101

Yes i & my wife R. retired, we love being so. We love having the time to enjoy life without work, taking the time to cruise & doing whatever.
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Familiar Face

Still working, I'm a VP of a mid-size(80 people) aerospace manufacturing operation. Retirement is probably 6 or 7 years off, or 10 to 12 if you ask my DW as we have 1 DD getting married next month and another DD getting married next year. But we love to cruise, taking our first NCL cruise this October on the new Breakaway.
Caribbean Princess....Jan. 2007
Crown Princess.........Jan. 2008
Caribbean Princess....May 2008
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2009
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2010
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2011
Old April 12th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Both really..stopped actual full time work when the computers overwhelmed the print trade...but didn't have enough money to enjoy life sol we both still work part time doing this & that...we call it ''cruise vouchers''..
Old April 12th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Admiral

I'm still working; hoping to retire in 15 or 16 or 17 or 18 or 19 . . .

Wife retired in 06 when we moved overseas (left her job; we just call it retirement).

As long as I can take nice long vacations and still pull in a paycheck, I think I will be susceptible to OMY (one more year).

Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 13th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Jim retired from the military in 03, and went to work for the gov. doing a job he loves. Not one of those high paying jobs you hear about, but one that gives him satisfaction.

I retired several years ago, due to medical problems.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 13th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Admiral

The majority of my working life was in the non profit area . Although my last job was not in this category I did not take a salary nor did I take a commission .I worked solely for the enjoyment.
Old April 13th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Admiral

While I so loved the thrill and excitement of my profession and miss it to this very day, I was getting too old to do it justice (hmmmm.....appropriate word there given what I did for a living). Like Lakers Fan I also was in a non profit profession but not exactly the type in which Lakers Fan was engaged.

I can, however, now indulge in helping others to the extent I literally have never been happier in my life. Everyone is stunned that I quit smoking. Yes I have health issues so numerous and severe I truthfully should have been dead long ago and yes, I just this past week spent three days in the hospital but I honestly don't care.

Toward the plus side I now have a weight and a waist size that I haven't seen in 30 years (221.3 lbs. and a 42" waist). Within the past couple of months I've shed just over 70 lbs. I was shocked to find out I actually still have a chest!! Also, they won't need a back hoe to lift my coffin!

Were I to be "on the prowl" (which of course I am notnor ever again will be), it has shall we say, opened new and very attractive doors and I'm 66 years old!!!!! If you're as I was for literally decades, morbidly obese and you are also single but looking, it definitely would be to your benefit to lose some poundage (hint-hint) .

So yes, I absolutely love my retirement but I also understand and support those who don't wish to retire even if eligible simply because they so enjoy theirs.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old April 14th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Admiral

Default GREAT news ,Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
While I so loved the thrill and excitement of my profession and miss it to this very day, I was getting too old to do it justice (hmmmm.....appropriate word there given what I did for a living). Like Lakers Fan I also was in a non profit profession but not exactly the type in which Lakers Fan was engaged.

I can, however, now indulge in helping others to the extent I literally have never been happier in my life. Everyone is stunned that I quit smoking. Yes I have health issues so numerous and severe I truthfully should have been dead long ago and yes, I just this past week spent three days in the hospital but I honestly don't care.

Toward the plus side I now have a weight and a waist size that I haven't seen in 30 years (221.3 lbs. and a 42" waist). Within the past couple of months I've shed just over 70 lbs. I was shocked to find out I actually still have a chest!! Also, they won't need a back hoe to lift my coffin!

Were I to be "on the prowl" (which of course I am notnor ever again will be), it has shall we say, opened new and very attractive doors and I'm 66 years old!!!!! If you're as I was for literally decades, morbidly obese and you are also single but looking, it definitely would be to your benefit to lose some poundage (hint-hint) .

So yes, I absolutely love my retirement but I also understand and support those who don't wish to retire even if eligible simply because they so enjoy theirs.
There was a time in my life when I weighed 239 pounds and had a 44" waist.I got tired of seeing that image in the mirror and dieted to 173 pounds and a 34" waist .
While I have gained back a lot in the past few years my health dictates that I once again lose some weight.

Todd ,you are a young man ,embrace life
Old April 14th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Captain

When I moved down to Florida in 2007, I planned to semi-retire but the economy would not let me do so at the time. Still working but it shouldn't be long now. Well, hopefully anyway!
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14

Legend of the Seas; 04/16/2014; Booked
Old April 14th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Admiral

I so appreciate your support Lakers Fan but to be truthful, for the past couple of months I've never embraced life to the degree I now enjoy.

And in case no one noticed, I not only thoroughly enjoy a gallows sense of humor I diligently indulge in same myself, more so if it involves my own situation.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old April 14th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Admiral

I can only wish to be retired. I had hoped, when we made the move from Montreal to Nova Scotia that I could retire from the early childhood career I'd enjoyed, but my hubby is retired now, the cost of living is higher here, we have to operate 2 cars, and if we want to cruise, then I have to work.
So I'm stuck at it until I die I guess...

donna
Old April 14th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Both working in the crazy financial market.
Old April 14th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Admiral

Working and enjoying
also
Planning on retiring a couple of years.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old April 14th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Admiral

I am retiring two days before Rob and I depart on our repositioning cruise. Wahoo, I can't wait!!!
Old April 15th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Captain

Since I am the "boss", I guess retirement will never happen.
I like working.... and the wife likes shoes.

Why you should never follow a penguin underwater