Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Default I did it ,I did it

I have a friend who I know for 30 years .He and his wife were never interested in cruising .Every time we talk I bring up a cruise that we've done . Well he decided to try it and loved it ,so much that he just booked a second cruise .

Tonight I told him that he should join CM ,I hope he does .
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Isn't it a great feeling to bring another cruiser into the fold?!
Old April 18th, 2013, 03:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Great News....Don't you just love it when people finally try a cruise and love it??

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I had a major fail in that area. For as long as I have cruised I reccommended cruising to my friend Bev. Two years ago I finally convinced her and another woman to cruise with me. Big mistake! I have never seen anyone less excited about a cruise. I had to take her to the Carnival website to set up her account. Not once did she ever log in and research the ship or the ports. There was absolutely no excitement about this trip whatsoever. It was a good thing I printed the documents and the tags for the cruise. I sent her letters over the time we were waiting for the cruise. Just giving her tips and ideas about what to expect and what to pack. I do not think she ever read them. I got them a room here for the night before the cruise here at the complex where I live because I am closer to the port than they are. They had the nerve to ask me to drive the 50 miles north to Brooksville pick them up and take them to the ship and return them there. That is 100 miles out of my way each way. I asked them that if they booked the cruise with another agent would they have the nerve to ask for free transport to and from the port. They said no. During the cruise she complained about everything from the room size to the prices of drinks. They did not ever look at the daily schedule nor the shore tours. She claimed to be afraid of heights and would not walk near the rails. She was afraid to go ashore at Grand Cayman because of the fear of heights. I explained that she would board the tender at sea level. I really think she thought she would have to climb down the side of the ship or something. Because she never looked at the daily schedule she complained that cruising was boring. She was unadventurous in the dining room and complained that there was "nothing to eat". When she got home all she did was bash cruising and swear she will never go again. The other woman was fine. she had done research and was very excited about the cruise.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 19th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Admiral

This morning I joined a Walkers group in my community .The guy walking closest to me has never cruised .I told him about my cruising experience and he now wants to cruise to Alaska.
Old April 19th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Admiral

That's great Lakers!

I'm sorry Laura.

I have one of two reactions when I talk to people about cruising. People are scared and won't budge or they are excited and want to go with me...with me footing the bill! lol
Old April 19th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moiraine View Post
That's great Lakers!

I'm sorry Laura.

I have one of two reactions when I talk to people about cruising. People are scared and won't budge or they are excited and want to go with me...with me footing the bill! lol
Many of the nay sayers I have met would certainly go if I foot the bill!. Many years ago in the 80's I wanted to book the then brand new Celebration. I asked everyone I knew before I finally accepted the 200% it would cost me to go. I made the initial deposit and was a bit nervous about going alone. So I decided that if I had to pay for 2 people then 2 people were going to be in that cabin. My friend Bev from the previous story and another friend Shirley had always made negative comments every time I talked about cruising so I ruled them out. They both had jobs and were doing fine and could afford to pay their own way if they wanted to go and I had asked them before and got all the excuses why they could not go. I had another friend Sharon that really would love to go but air and cruise were way over budget for her. She was a stay at home Mom with 3 kids. I decided to ask Sharon she was delighted and asked for time to talk it over with her husband. I had explained that I had to pay 200% anyway so there would be 2 in the room. She called me back and said her husband was tickled that she had the opportunity to go with me. So we made our plans. I booked a room in the Intercontinental for the night before. In a few weeks I got a call from another friend, Marchal. She asked if she could go on the cruise with us. She was willing to pay her share. So since we were all friends I said sure and made her booking too. We went and had the time of our lives. Both Shron and Marchal are outgoing and friendly as am I. We had no problem getting to know people and enjoying ourselves.
All these years later when I was on the cruise with Bev and Sandra. Bev spoke up about the cruise that I took Sharon on. She said that she and Shirley were waiting for me to invite one of them to go. They were really mad that I asked Sharon. I told her that every time I mentioned cruising all I ever heard were negative comments from them so I asked someone who would enjoy it. Funny how they had different attitudes when they thought they would get a free cruise. As it turned out when she finally did cruise I heard nothing but negative comments.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 19th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

You really don't know a person until you travel with them. I have one friend who, after 3 days on a great ship, I had to ask, "Are you having any fun?". I simply could not tell!

Have cruised with about 4 people, but find that only one friend is my travel soul-mate. Her husband captains a freighter on the Great Lakes and is not interested in cruising, so I "get her" in the fall and he gets her in the spring, and they go to a resort on land!

Most of my 40+ cruises have been solo and some of them the best cruises ever.

Agree that 2 people can have such different opinions or reviews on the same cruise.....go figure!
Old April 20th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Admiral

I was posting on CM one day and began to get PM's from another CM person .We cruised together and became hopefully lifelong friends.
Old April 20th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Admiral

Belgigue, When I was younger the idea of cruising alone made me nervous. Once I finally did it. I love it. I get the whole room to myself. Since I have sleep disorders I am wide awake at odd hours and I have to get up. At least when I am alone I do not disturb anyone.

Laura
---Mark Twain

Old April 25th, 2013, 01:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Cruznut2: You're right! The first cruise I took alone after my husband died was to the Panama Canal, Colombia, Costa Rica.

I had the "what the hell am I doing, I don't know anyone, I'm going SO far away from home" feeling.

I sat on the bed and then the "selfish gene" kicked in and I realized all the closet space and drawers were MINE! Breakfast would be delivered on my time!

I unpacked, changed my clothes and never looked back. It was one of the best cruises ever (Sky Princess, 1994), and I made 2 lifelong friends whom I've cruised with several times.

Life is what you make of it!
Old April 25th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Listen carefully

One of my dreams is to get on cruise it seems it's a great opportunity to experience it.

Last edited by Mike M; April 25th, 2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: remove commercial link