CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Act / sat (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/395753-act-sat.html)

Aerogirl April 23rd, 2013 04:03 PM

Act / sat

SO D/S took the ACT today and for the life of me I don't understand why these teachers stress these kids out so much over it. Wouldn't it be better for the students to feel calm instead of having panic attacks over the test?
Last night was the ceremony for the new inductees of the National Honor Society and when I asked one od D/S friends why he didn't come he replied " I was too stresses out to come" , now that's just sad to me. I could tell D/S was on edge this past weekend and yesterday so I had a little talk with him about it. I simply told him do your best and you'll get what you get. I assured him with his GPA and class ranking as well as all the community service hours he has he should be fine in his picks for college, its not like he's looking at Harvard.
I feel really bad for todays kids with a world gone crazy and no job how do they even begin to start their life.

canuckity April 23rd, 2013 05:51 PM

Aerogirl I totally agree with you. These days the kids graduate and then have a very difficult time getting work in their field. It is totally different from when I graduated and was able to not only find work in my field of study but turn it into a 35 year career. My daughter is 4 years post graduation as a teacher and is still being told that a permanent teaching job could still be 3 years away.

Aerogirl April 23rd, 2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckity (Post 1471064)
Aerogirl I totally agree with you. These days the kids graduate and then have a very difficult time getting work in their field. It is totally different from when I graduated and was able to not only find work in my field of study but turn it into a 35 year career. My daughter is 4 years post graduation as a teacher and is still being told that a permanent teaching job could still be 3 years away.

Yikes:shock: My son wants to get into teaching.

canuckity April 23rd, 2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerogirl (Post 1471066)
Yikes:shock: My son wants to get into teaching.

That's the situation in Ottawa, Canada......don't know how it is where you are.

green_rd April 24th, 2013 09:28 AM

I know our daughter seemed to experience a lot of stress in HS. Not sure how much came from teachers and how much from peers. There was a lot of emphasis on getting into the best college possible.

Me - I took the SAP the day after returning home from Spring Break. No stress, just had to drag myself from the bed in the early AM. I wore a red t-shirt to match my skin color. Still scored over 1310.

katlady April 24th, 2013 11:33 AM

I have a BS in Business with an option in Finance and I never took the SATs. I took all my general education stuff at Junior College then transferred to a four year college for my last two years. I think kids today care more about the status of going to the 'right' school and that causes stress to the teenager and the pocket book of the parent. Save the money/stress and send them to a junior college. Here's an article on the benefits of Junior college. If you child has to get a student loan he/she is starting out life in the hole. The average cost per year is $22,261 according to CNN. So in four years you are spending at least $89,044 and private colleges are more expensive. Now your kids if fresh out of college and also $90K in debt now many years will it take them to get clear again? My degree is finance after all :wink: so let's see $90K at 3% interest for 15 years the monthly payment is $621.52 that is higher then a car loan and the loan period the length of some home loans. Plus the student is paying $21,874.23 in interest so the real cost is $111,874.20.:shock:

I was an adult when I went back to school so my 4 year degree took 8 years because I was working full time until the last two quarters where I quit my job and finished by degree. I paid my college as I went along while I was working. The last two quarters I requested a loan from my dad of $15K so I could pay my bills and finish quickly. I was a full time student I took 7 classes in one quarter and 6 in my last quarter. I fully tended to pay my dad back. But my dad is awesome and he forgave the loan as a graduation present. :mrgreen: But say he hadn't done that my 5 year loan at 3% would be monthly payments of $269.53 total interest of $1,171.82. I did gradute in December of 2002 so costs have increased I'm sure. But the cost of education is a much better deal. I have a good stable job I enjoy the junior college route didn't hurt me at all.

Aerogirl April 24th, 2013 05:03 PM

I couldn't agree more KL. Many of my friends kids are in their first year of college and are taking loans out to pay for most of it. One on my close friends kid will have a $150.000 loan to pay off, that's just nuts. We do have some money for school saved up and his two choices are NIU or NEU both of which we can pay almost all of It with what we saved for college, I do not want him coming out of school with debt. If he chooses NEU he cam live at home at take care of the cats while D/H and I travel ;)

katlady April 24th, 2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerogirl (Post 1471194)
I couldn't agree more KL. Many of my friends kids are in their first year of college and are taking loans out to pay for most of it. One on my close friends kid will have a $150.000 loan to pay off, that's just nuts. We do have some money for school saved up and his two choices are NIU or NEU both of which we can pay almost all of It with what we saved for college, I do not want him coming out of school with debt. If he chooses NEU he cam live at home at take care of the cats while D/H and I travel ;)

He's very lucky to have parents that saved for his college and can support him this way. I wouldn't go the teacher route that's hard to find a job in the field. Plus the pay is bad and teacher end up out of pocket for school supplies. My hubby works at staples and back to school sales a lot of teachers come into the store. I went Business degree. I graduated in December 2002 and started my career March 2003. So it took me three months after graduation to get a job that I'm still doing and enjoy. Really that's the key to find a job you enjoy it makes going to work so much easier.

A $150K student loan is the size of a house payment. What career is this close friend going to get that will pay off this loan quickly? $150K at 3% interest with a 15 year loan is $1,035.87 monthly payment:shock: and $36,457 in interest. That payment is so high my guess is the loan is at least 20 years long montly payment of $831.90 and $49,655.14 in interest over the life of the loan. So in the end she could be paying almost $200K for her education. :shock: This is way so many people default on student loans.

green_rd April 24th, 2013 06:39 PM

Kat you are fortunate that California has such a strong JuCo system. Other states, not so much.

Aerogirl April 24th, 2013 09:32 PM

Public school teachers make ok money right out of school as long as you get into a school, they make about $45,000 plus benefits and the more certification you have the more you make. I believe here most teachers are in the $75,000 a year range after 10 years, private school make bad money, I'm still hope D/S keeps the dentist / orthodontist interest like he was a few years back. Hard to say at 17 what you want to be for the rest of your life when you never really worked for a long period of time.

only time will tell:)