CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   NCL didn't do right..RCI did.. (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/395853-ncl-didnt-do-right-rci-did.html)

Trip April 30th, 2013 07:42 AM

NCL didn't do right..RCI did..

Sometimes you have to step up to the plate ,regardless of the "rules"

7 On Your Side: Cruise sets sail without Sandy victims | 7online.com

Moiraine April 30th, 2013 08:07 AM

Well it sucks that her first cruise did not happen. Too bad she did not have insurance. Glad she and her family will get to go on this one. It's good PR for RCI.

Manuel April 30th, 2013 08:33 AM

That story does have a happy ending.

Of course I happen to be a fan RCI, but those people did need a break.

TM

green_rd April 30th, 2013 08:39 AM

Kudos to Royal - jeers to NCL

Manuel April 30th, 2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1471776)
Kudos to Royal - jeers to NCL

Bob, you stated it very well in just a few words.

TM

Truck Cruiser April 30th, 2013 10:43 AM

Really??? That is what cruise insurance is for! These folks probably booked online and never even knew about the Insurance available that a good travel agent would of told them about.

These incidents happen to a bunch of people. My cousin had to be put in the Hospital just days before a cruise and therefore missed the cruise. They didn't have insurance and lost all their money they had paid to Princess for the cruise.

This should be used as a wake up call to all of those who forgo cruise insurance instead of celebrating the rescuing of their mistake by RCI.

seadog2 April 30th, 2013 11:53 AM

Glad this had a happy ending. Even if you book your cruise through an online site there is still a page that will pop up asking if you want to add insurance to your booking. It's a yes or no answer. They probably said no.

Manuel April 30th, 2013 12:49 PM

No matter what, you do have to admit that NCL could have been a bit more understanding in view of such a disaster.

TM

thecruisequeen April 30th, 2013 12:50 PM

Kudos to Royal...

storybookcruises.com April 30th, 2013 02:23 PM

I have to agree with Truck - these people probably purchased the cruise online and were never told about the importance of travel insurance.

This is really a tough situation. The press is always going to play up any negative story, but when it's something like Sandy, they're going to go out of their way to put anything out there like this.

While I sincerely sympathize with those who suffered through this disaster and have personally donated to the cause to help with the recovery, these things do happen all the time and people should be prepared for them just in case. They need to make sure they have all the proper insurance to cover their property in times of natural disasters, whether it be floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. Each geographical area has their own problems and insurance needs are different.

I always suggest purchasing travel insurance. This is especially true when traveling during hurricane season, traveling during Winter, traveling overseas, traveling with young children, or when traveling with seniors. And as I always say, you hope purchasing travel insurance is a waste of your money because if you need it, it's usually not for a good reason. But if you need it, you sure glad you've got it.

Personally, I do not understand the logic of someone spending $4,000 for their vacation of a lifetime, as in the case of the story, and not wanting to insure that investment by purchasing travel insurance. The average person cannot afford to lose $4,000!

While I completely understand the situation and my heart goes out to these people, you also have to ask the obvious question; what makes them any different than anyone else who has to cancel a cruise because of an emergency situation? What about the elderly lady whose husband died of a heart attack the day before their cruise? Or what about the family who whose house was blown away by a tornado? Should they also be allowed to get a full refund from the cruise line if they don't have travel insurance? What differentiates one from the other?

While I applaud RCCL for stepping up to the plate, quite frankly, if it wasn't for the press making a big deal about this, RCCL would never had offered to provide a cruise to them. They jumped at the chance to get good press, while NCL got bad press for following what all the cruise lines would have done.

So the next question is, what about all the other people who were put in the same situation? Until those who don't have insurance gets the attention of the press, we'll never hear about them and they'll never get a free cruise.

I'm glad these people got a cruise, because if anyone needed it, it was definitely this family. But they should have purchased the travel insurance and none of this press coverage would have been necessary in the first place.

Lesson learned; talk to your agent and make sure you get the travel insurance! You hope you never have to find out what it's like to go through what this family has gone through as you may not be as lucky as they are.

Pete

Manuel April 30th, 2013 02:28 PM

I always buy travel insurance when I cruise or go on a land vacation.

However I still say Kudos to Royal :D, and BOO to NCL:mad:.

TM

Trip April 30th, 2013 05:00 PM

This site has stood on the mountain since the beginning, proclaiming travel insurance is a must,and as many you know, we were blessed to have it, when we needed it.

No matter how many travel professionals, urge their clients to be protected I would safely bet, the majority are not. It is their choice to roll the dice,and face whatever might come their way.

We know these serious situations when there is illness, or a death,and there is no insurance in place,and families lose it all, and try in any way to recoup,and don't, & read of this, and wonder why they were not treated as such. I guess it takes the elevated circumstances of a Hurricane Sandy and all the damages it did, & the entire world knowing of the despair of many, that RCI decided to step in where NCL deigned not to. Getting publicity, maybe so, but, I am glad they did. Fair, maybe not..:(

BernieG April 30th, 2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1471818)
Getting publicity, maybe so, but, I am glad they did. Fair, maybe not..:(

This sums up my feelings. Get insurance or don't, your call, but one situation does not trump another.

green_rd April 30th, 2013 09:37 PM

Not necessarily true that this woman booked online. This was a 70 year old school transportation worker. She probably didn't think she could swing the extra cost. When we booked our first cruise, with a local TA, we did not get insurance. Later I started to think about it and tried to get insurance. My TA told it was too late, the CL would assume I was buying to cancel. I didn't know any different so went with what he said.

Donna April 30th, 2013 10:28 PM

Kudos to Royal Caribbean! Also great PR for them.....Very suprised with NCL....shame on them for, at least not re-schedule...

storybookcruises.com May 1st, 2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1471848)
Not necessarily true that this woman booked online. This was a 70 year old school transportation worker. She probably didn't think she could swing the extra cost. When we booked our first cruise, with a local TA, we did not get insurance. Later I started to think about it and tried to get insurance. My TA told it was too late, the CL would assume I was buying to cancel. I didn't know any different so went with what he said.

This will depend on the travel insurance, but most of the major ones will allow you to purchase the insurance up until a few days before the cruise. However, if you book by final payment due date, then you'll also be covered for pre-existing conditions. And normally, you cannot purchase Cancel for Any Reason insurance after final payment due date. But usually, you can still purchase the regular insurance and still be covered for any non-named events. For example, if you purchase the insurance after a tropical storm/hurricane has been named, then you won't be covered for any problems caused by that storm. So I would question the agent as to why it was too late to purchase the insurance, because that's not the norm.

Pete

Lisa May 15th, 2013 04:21 AM

The only reason Royal did this is because NCL is coming out with the Breakaway, and they did it to get publicity.

Why should people who did NOT book trip insurance get ANYTHING? Does Superstorm Sandy trump a fire and losing your home? Does Superstorm Sandy trump losing a loved one a week prior to your cruise?

My answer is NO! Sandy does NOT supercede other circumstances. And in all these cases, if you don't have travel/trip insurance, I am sorry, but you are out of luck.

BTW - if Royal was really that concerned and magnanimous, then they should have offered EVERY NCL passenger who could not cruise because of Sandy the same offer they made this lady. Until they do, I call this a publicity stunt.

storybookcruises.com May 15th, 2013 02:18 PM

Well stated, Lisa!!

Pete