Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Question Washer & Dryer Question

We're going to look at washers & dryers tomorrow and I kind of like the front loader washer, however I have only owned a top loader.
Does anyone here have a front loader and if so what's your take on them...are they worth the money? I know some time back I heard complaints about them smelling funny and water getting behind a seal.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have also heard those complaints. I've had a front loader for a few years now, and I just keep the door open after a wash load is done, so it can fully dry. Even when I had a top loader washer, it was always left open. Usually the next day, I just close it, but not all the way, never had any odor problems....Remember to buy the HE detergent for these type washers, I think they have less suds...

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 8th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Captain

We have had a Whirlpool front-load washer & dryer set for 10 years now. The only complaint is it eats socks. (Actually, they get behind the door sealer gasket of the washer, but it took us a while to figure it out... and arguments as to whether a washer can actually consume laundry... trust me, it can.)

We had our house built with a laundry machine "podium" about 22 inches tall, so that the machine doors are actually at normal-human level, and laundry can be more easily handled.

Capacity is way better. Since we have a family, we are not going back to top-load. When we bought it there were not many HE (High Efficiency) detergents available, but that has all changed. We like the "pods"... easy.

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:17 AM
First Mate

We've had front loads for 10 years and we just love them.
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Admiral

We too, have front loaders (SamSung) , and REALLY like 'em. As noted above, you MUST leave the door on the washer open after using, so it can fully dry, and you MUST use "HE" detergent. Seems to me that they do a superior job of cleaning, and probably use less water than a top loader. In any case, YES, I'd buy them again.

"SKY"
Old May 8th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Admiral

I must confess I don't do the laundry at my house. We have front loading LG machines Energy star with a hand wash cycle that works great. After we had the washing machine a year I bump into it and turned it on. That is the moment I realized I had not idea how to turn it off. So my hip is the first thing that turned on the machine. I have used it three times since then for my quilt fabric and it works great. My hubby seems to like the hand wash and delicate cycles. Here are some pictures.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 8th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

After my old 20+ year top loader malfunctioned and flooded my hold house, I bought front loader wassher and dryer. I got the LG Brand. They are good looking, does a very good washing job and once you learn which buton to push it does fine.

I have had these since last August and so far no problem. And yes keep the washer door open to dry for awhile. They say it will smell when wet but I never hang around to find out.

RayB

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old May 8th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
We too, have front loaders (SamSung) , and REALLY like 'em. As noted above, you MUST leave the door on the washer open after using, so it can fully dry, and you MUST use "HE" detergent. Seems to me that they do a superior job of cleaning, and probably use less water than a top loader. In any case, YES, I'd buy them again.

"SKY"
Sky is right my front loader machine also takes the HE (high efficency) detergent.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 8th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

One thing I don't like about my new front loader is, I cannot figure out how to do a short wash,and the cycles are much longer then on my old one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 8th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Admiral

I don't know, having to leave the door open is a problem with my cats. I do like the new HE top loaders, their as big as the front loader.

Thanks for all your help!

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Admiral

I too have the Samsung, and love it....Also, very quiet, especially when spinning...

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Interesting thread.

I'm learning new things all the time. I'm not sure if I like the idea of leaving the door open to let the drum dry out. My laundry room is the entry from the garage to the house and it is a fairly high traffic area. I can see me stumbling and breaking the door off. I have heard that they do a good job of cleaning but I don't have the setup that Ship2shore has so the bending could be a bit of a problem.

My washer is about fifteen years old and still works great. The dryer is thirteen years old and is starting to have "issues" that the dryer repairman can't figure out. It decides to stop heating whenever it feels like it. We've had the control panel replaced, the heat sensor, and a couple of other things. Yes, the dryer vent and outlet are clean.

We replaced the old dryer the day before we left for Europe in 2001. It went out when we were doing last minute wash. Aghhhhh!! My mother lived with us at the time and there was no way she could go three weeks without a dryer so I made a run to Sears and asked "What's the largest capacity dryer you have in Bisque?" The salesman showed it to me and I said: "I'll take it. When can you deliver it and take away the old one?" The whole process was less than five minutes and the dryer showed up two days later. Maybe the dryer wouldn't be having issues after thirteen years if I had spent a few days researching it.

Thanks for the information. It helps in the event we need to replace one or both.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 8th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Captain

Apparently, appliances these days are designed with a 10-year life span, so 13 years aint so bad...
The "internal breakdown clock" was a bit on the slow side.

(I guess this means WE are "due"...)

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old May 8th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Ok so we purchased the Whirlpool HE washer top loader and matching dryer. I like that I can a fit comforters and blankets in it and like that there's no middle agitator.

It's not a real expensive set like some of the others we looked at, I just can't see spending thousands on a washer & dryer. I don't ever recall taking out my clothes and wished they were cleaner or dryer with the set we're replacing, in fact the set I'm replacing was only 1 1/2 years old but were ruined when the basement flooded and they were on the cheaper side and washed & dried just fine.

Too many bells and whistles out there, makes me wonder when is good, good enough?

Yes, todays appliance are only built to last 10 years anything over is a bonus.

One more thing with the money we saved I'm thinking my I Pad should be here for mothers day!

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 8th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
Ok so we purchased the Whirlpool HE washer top loader and matching dryer. I like that I can a fit comforters and blankets in it and like that there's no middle agitator.

It's not a real expensive set like some of the others we looked at, I just can't see spending thousands on a washer & dryer. I don't ever recall taking out my clothes and wished they were cleaner or dryer with the set we're replacing, in fact the set I'm replacing was only 1 1/2 years old but were ruined when the basement flooded and they were on the cheaper side and washed & dried just fine.

Too many bells and whistles out there, makes me wonder when is good, good enough?

Yes, todays appliance are only built to last 10 years anything over is a bonus.

One more thing with the money we saved I'm thinking my I Pad should be here for mothers day!
Robin,

Glad to hear you are now the proud owner of a new washer and dryer. Will insurance cover the replacement? It sure would be nice. I also love that I can stick a king size quilt in my wash machine without worrying it will walk across the room when it hits the spin cycle.

I do have to agree with you that on some things, like washers, dryers and other appliances, too much is too much. When we bought our last refrigerator there were models with televisions in the door. I'm sorry but I don't need a TV in my refrigerator door. Even my old wash machine has more "cycles" than I ever use and all I want the dryer to have is "no tumble" and four heat settings: No heat, low, medium, and NUKE THE SUCKER!

I hope you double the ten year projected life span and have years of joy washing, drying and ironing.

Take care,
Mike (Who only irons when it's a matter of life and death)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old May 8th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Robin,

Glad to hear you are now the proud owner of a new washer and dryer. Will insurance cover the replacement? It sure would be nice. I also love that I can stick a king size quilt in my wash machine without worrying it will walk across the room when it hits the spin cycle.

I do have to agree with you that on some things, like washers, dryers and other appliances, too much is too much. When we bought our last refrigerator there were models with televisions in the door. I'm sorry but I don't need a TV in my refrigerator door. Even my old wash machine has more "cycles" than I ever use and all I want the dryer to have is "no tumble" and four heat settings: No heat, low, medium, and NUKE THE SUCKER!

I hope you double the ten year projected life span and have years of joy washing, drying and ironing.

Take care,
Mike (Who only irons when it's a matter of life and death)
Mike... I iron almost everything but the older I get I'm starting to give a rat's behind about looking so pressed.

Yes, our insurance cover all of our cost...thank goodness. It's not flood insurance but a water back-up policy as we don't live in a flood area. The reason we flooded was the check valve was completely broken off so we are having a new system put in...well worth the cost!

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Robin,

I'm glad that insurance is covering you. We had an incident about ten year ago. I had moved the washer and dryer out to clean under and behind them. I didn't notice that when I pulled the washer out I had pulled it too far and the drain hose came loose.

Later that day I put a load in the washer and went downstairs to my office. A little while later the lights suddenly went out and I figured we had a power failure. When I went upstairs the whole laundry room and part of the kitchen floors were wet. That wasn't the real problem. The laundry room has a floor heating vent and most of the water went down that vent and to the furnace. When it hit the furnace it must have been running and the main breaker snapped. The furnace was fried. Luckily, the homeowners insurance covered a new furnace and cleaning out of the duct work. The flooring was fine and it only took a mopping to clean it up and there was no damage to the under floor.

Let's just hope that neither of us have to deal with another "flood" again.

Take care,
Mike

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Congratulations Aerogirl on your new washer. I am a real stickler on laundry so was somewhat hesitant of the big step of which I took advantage when I purchased a couple of years ago during a big sale at Lowe's, a Samsung front loader that I believe was retailed for $1,100 dollars for I think $795. I too was hesitant but now, I couldn't be more pleased.

As is the case with Mike, space is a consideration for me as well, as the washer and dryer are in a small laundry nook in the sunroom just large enough to fit the washer and dryer. When the bifold doors to the area are closed the front of the machine is just inches away from them. Therefore all I can do is just leave the door ajar. The only downside is that due to shelves above the machine I was unable to get a pedestal for it. Consequently, I have to bend over which definitely isn't a "win" for me because of all of my back problems.

So far no issues whatsoever with the machine and contrary to what I believed would be the case, gets my clothes just as clean if not cleaner than the top loader. I love the huge capacity and the fact it uses far less water which in and of itself, could amont to a significantly lower water bill for those with large families, etc.

I sincerely believe you will be more than happy with your new washer.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Admiral

A couple of years ago we had the LG front load washer and dryer and one of the sensors in the washer went out. This was after the mfg. warranty had expired. I had additional coverage on both and it still cost a pretty penny to repair. As far as the smell goes all most all HE washers gets it. I recommend that you use the washer cleaner tablets that can be bought at almost any supermarket. It is recommended that all machines that uses HE detergent use the cleaner tablets once a month to counteract the smell. I do this for my HE washer and all is well. There are different kinds of cleaners but I recommend the tablets. I'm not sure if it's ok to give the brand name that I use but it comes in a green plastic pouch with black lettering across the front. Try it, it works.
Old May 9th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Admiral

I've never had any odor problem with my washer, and have had it a few years now. I just make sure it dries out after each use, so far, have never cleaned the washer either...

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I've never had any odor problem with my washer, and have had it a few years now. I just make sure it dries out after each use, so far, have never cleaned the washer either...
Ditto. No problem with our washer either, and we just leave the door open after using.

"SKY"
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Sky & Donna
I can only speak for myself but having to leave the door open in order to not get an odor to me is something I wouldn't want to deal with.

Thanks everyone for your opinions I do appreciate it.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Thumbs up

Oh the sweet sound of the washer & dryer ...how I miss you!
sheets in there right now!

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014