Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 7th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Default My Tribute to Emma

Topics :
Pictou County , Nova Scotia , Caribou River
Out and About by Donna Belanger
About a week ago, I discovered a new Facebook page called People of Pictou County. It is an upbeat page, featuring just your average residents who may be your friends, neighbours, relatives, the guy who makes your pizza, the girl who cuts your hair, or someone who serves your restaurant meal. Photos are featured on each of these people, or groups of people, and little stories about them accompany the photos, keeping them anonymous, except for those who may recognize them.
When I first perused the page, I though what a wonderful way to recognize all the special people who make Pictou County the special and friendly place it is, and I commented on a few photos saying just that.
Imagine my surprise this past Friday evening when I became the focus of one of those photos and stories! Sitting on the front porch of Carvers in Pictou, enjoying the warm evening, a pot of tea, and with our two dogs with us, my husband James Sheen and I were approached by someone with a camera and asked if we minded having our picture taken. It was then I realized this was the author of the Facebook page, and we agreed wholeheartedly.
We posed for the photo, our 11-year-old golden retriever Emma smiling into the camera, while our 10-month-old puppy Griffin sat on my lap, and we answered some questions about why we love Pictou County. As transplanted Montrealers, we have a lot to love about living here in Nova Scotia!
Little did we know that this chance encounter would be the lasting memory of our beloved Emma on her last evening here on earth. Early the next morning she suffered some sudden and serious health problems and sadly passed away.
We will always treasure the photo and story posted that day on People of Pictou County. It shows a smiling, happy dog who was doing what she loved best – sitting on the patio at Carvers, greeting the customers, receiving adoring pats on the head and the occasional biscuit. We will miss her dearly, as will the customers who frequent Carvers and knew her well, but we hope our little Malti-Poo pup Griffin will help fill the void for all of us.

Donna Belanger is a resident of Caribou River who is involved in many different groups in Pictou County and is always willing to find out more about what is happening while she is out and about. She can been reached at rollerdonna@hotmail.com

Last edited by rollerdonna; June 7th, 2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: add on
Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Admiral

Donna,

How so very heartwarming and what a tribute! Emma was so very precious she'll be missed greatly by me as you made me feel as if she knew me.

I know what you and James are going through but you have Griffin and that will help to an extent.

God Bless and Love to you both
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old June 7th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

A wonderful last tribute...Emma was a gracious dog,and will be missed by many of of us here...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 7th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Default Mt Tribute to Emma

A beautiful picture, Donna. Emma was a very special dog.

Judy
Old June 8th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

What a beautiful photo of your family. A wonderful way to remember Emma. She is at peace now and watching over the family she loved.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 8th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Admiral

That's a wonderful tribute to Emma.