CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Your favorite African-American actress (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/397074-your-favorite-african-american-actress.html)

Lakers Fan June 18th, 2013 10:09 PM

Your favorite African-American actress

My favorite african-American actress is Charlize Theron .Who is yours ?

Phil&Liz June 18th, 2013 10:28 PM

Hmmmmm I thought she is a South African citizen.

Cicely Tyson, Halle Berry, and the very pretty Holly Robinson Peete come to mind.

Kuki June 19th, 2013 12:04 AM

Tyler Perry

ToddDH June 19th, 2013 08:24 PM

I guess I'm revealing my age here but since around the age of eight or nine, my favorite Black Actress has always been Hattie McDaniel who played a house servant at Twelve Oaks.

She has always reminded me of two people who were instrumental in my life. The first was Dora (who unlike Hattie was quite short and as thin as a rail), who ranks in the top three of the most marvelous people I ever met. Dora, in actuality, raised my father as his mother was always prancing around Europe as her husband worked. When my twin and I came along, Dora, who was then in her upper seventies, helped Mother with us and I loved (quite obviously) her as much as my own mother, something that strangely didn't upset my mother but rather pleased her to a huge extent. Dora lived well into her nineties. The other lady didn't come along until I was a teenager. Carris Robinson (who actually was about the size of Hattie but was much prettier, worked in the high school cafeteria. I absolutely worshipped the ground she walked on and she loved me without reservation. I was so close to her that mother didn't inform me that she had died until after her funeral because even though Fran and I didn't have the money, I would have been back in Tennessee within 12 hours of notification. One thing I'll never forget about Carris was that the term "Black" for people of color, was then coming into vogue. She absolutely despised the term. I can remember her quote as if it was uttered this very morning. The quote was, "Todd, no one had best ever call me a 'black' woman because the word 'black' denotes an absence of color and honey, if there's anything I have, it's color!" She actually favored the term "colored." God love her, she was quite "politically incorrect" for the times.

Ah, the memories!

Lakers Fan June 19th, 2013 11:19 PM

Todd : I was referring to African American actresses and not black .

The noted black actress Gloria Reuben has stated that she as a black woman is also referred to by the press as African American .However,she is Canadian American .
Charlize Theron may be the ONLY African American actress alive today .

venice June 20th, 2013 04:17 AM

I wonder how she self identifies on the US Census survey?

My favorite US born African American actress is Pam Grier

ToddDH June 20th, 2013 07:14 AM

Sorry Laker's Fan but I'm utterly confused by the first line of your response????????

ToddDH June 20th, 2013 07:21 AM

Venice. In response to your query, I've no idea. But knowing Carris, it might well have been quite interesting.

Aerogirl June 20th, 2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki (Post 1476586)
Tyler Perry

Your too much! rofl

venice June 20th, 2013 11:30 AM

Is not the correct term she would use is Afrikaner which is different from African

She is a really good actress (The Italian Job), and so beautiful that I would be a fan regardless of her ethnic background

Lakers Fan June 20th, 2013 02:54 PM

Venice ,have you given up on Vanessa Williams ?

Luanne Russo June 20th, 2013 06:21 PM

I actually don't have one. I look at the work and not the skin color.

seadog2 June 20th, 2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1476732)
Is not the correct term she would use is Afrikaner which is different from African

She is a really good actress (The Italian Job), and so beautiful that I would be a fan regardless of her ethnic background

Venice thank you for bring this point out. The question was convoluted. Not meant to deceive but maybe a bit to confusing. An African American actress that I've admired is Cicily Tyson.

venice June 20th, 2013 11:18 PM

Lakers Fan...lol...Chante Moore (R&B singer) is the love of my life these days...I had the great pleasure of meeting her on my Smooth Jazz Cruise two years ago on the Carnival Freedom ...Vanessa Williams will always have a special place in my heart....thanks for remembering

To Luanne's point...Keri Washington is the hottest actress regardless of skin color, on the scene today...

SeaDog2...you are right on...the original post thru me for a loop for a second

Lakers Fan June 21st, 2013 01:11 AM

Luanne

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luanne Russo (Post 1476758)
I actually don't have one. I look at the work and not the skin color.

This is not a thread about skin color .It is about African -Americans .Charlize Theron is caucasian .

Lakers Fan June 21st, 2013 01:16 AM

Keri Washington

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1476770)
Lakers Fan...lol...Chante Moore (R&B singer) is the love of my life these days...I had the great pleasure of meeting her on my Smooth Jazz Cruise two years ago on the Carnival Freedom ...Vanessa Williams will always have a special place in my heart....thanks for remembering

To Luanne's point...Keri Washington is the hottest actress regardless of skin color, on the scene today...

SeaDog2...you are right on...the original post thru me for a loop for a second

Keri Washington is a brilliant ,beautiful woman

(Re your other love of basketball-check out the documentary Undefeated:The Roger Brown story .I contributed toward the making of the film ,my name appears in the credits).

Luanne Russo June 21st, 2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers Fan (Post 1476779)
This is not a thread about skin color .It is about African -Americans .Charlize Theron is caucasian .

Now I am confused.

venice June 21st, 2013 05:01 AM

Luanne...ditto.....lol

Trip June 21st, 2013 08:30 AM

confused.....?:).....the thread title did that.

ToddDH June 21st, 2013 08:43 AM

Since everyone's confused (including me) consider this. In this thread the term "actress" is used. Has anybody noticed that within the entertainment community, etc., the term "Actress' no longer exists. Everyone regardless of sex is now an "Actor."

Inasmuch as Actor is by definition a "male" term, what are we all now, considered to be male or even gender neutral???? Talk about political correctness going berserk, it's almost enough to make the average person throw up!

venice June 21st, 2013 10:59 AM

Todd..it's a generation thing....much like the term flight attendant..after all, it is called the "Actors Studio"...rather then be frustrated, just "roll with it" and check with your younger relatives for the "PC" phrase of the hour...lol

One of my favorite movies of all time is Mel Brooks " Blazing Saddles"... it's a tribute to Mel's genius how he used humor to poke at "PC" of his generation. I wish a young director/producer in the footsteps of Brooks, would make a sequel to Blazing Saddles set in today's politically charged cllimate

AR ...could an updated Blazing Saddle type movie be made today?

Luanne Russo June 21st, 2013 11:01 AM

I am sorry, I didn't mean to start something, but I was speaking the truth. I do not generally notice the nationality, color of an actor.

The first thing I notice is the dialogue of the story being told. I then notice how well it is being presented on screen, and then I notice how the actor is handling it.

I guess in many ways I have evolved faster than some. I see the person, not as a color, but as a performer, doing a good, or bad job.

Take Hallie Berry She is beautiful, and also a very good actor, even when she has a very bad script. The last thing I want to do is limit her to being skinny, fat, dark, light. etc. I get lost in all the category's, and miss out on her talent. When she has a press conference, and announces who she is other than a great actor, then I will take notice, but I prefer to list her as a good actor.

venice June 21st, 2013 11:34 AM

Luanne...don't apologize...you are very much on point !!!! Gene Roddenbury with his "Star Trek tv show and movies", paved the way in how roles could be cast without being type casted...Halle Berry has been lucky to have had the opportunity to be cast in roles that are not limited to her skin color (think James Bond movie), it helps that she can act

The issue is not the actor, but the paying audience accepting and believing the acting...

So if our grandchildren were doing the original post, it would be....my favorite actress from South Africa is?......Charlene would get my vote...lol

Kuki June 21st, 2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1476812)
confused.....?:).....the thread title did that.

It was LF going about 4 blocks past the corner of Cute and Reality :shock:;)

Africa is a continent, not a country.

Luanne Russo June 21st, 2013 01:29 PM

I don't want LF feel bad about his question, because It started conversation
that we might not otherwise have.

I do have a question, or a clarification.

People from South Africa are black and white

People who have become Americans are South African- Americans

People born in this country who are dark skin sometimes call themselves African-Americans, but that is not So. AA.

Do I have it right?

venice June 21st, 2013 02:04 PM

If it were that simple.,lol...,,South Africa is a multi ethnic culture..there are Black Africans, Europeans (Dutch), Asians, Indians and lots of mixtures (ironic it is much like New Orleans)..Charlene is most likely a product of mixed heritage

If a person that emigrates to America from South Africa and becomes an American citizen will probably identify on the Census survey based upon their ethnic background in relation to their choices on the Census form

The US Census form is being modified in the next round to add a box that reflects the growing trend of multi ethnic backgrounds in our society

Clear as mud heh Luanne...lol

skymaster June 21st, 2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1476846)
..Charlene is most likely a product of mixed heritage

Clear as mud heh Luanne...lol

Now I'm confused??? Who the hell is "Charlene"?

"SKY"

venice June 21st, 2013 06:51 PM

Sorry..meant Charlize!!! ( she allows me to call her Charlene...lol)

Aerogirl June 21st, 2013 11:40 PM

So I take it LF you knew the answers you would get that's why you asked the question, you must have been board to come up with this:D

To rephrase the question would to be Who is your favorite actress from South Africa?

Cruznut2 June 22nd, 2013 11:56 AM

Now I am confused and I really need a cruise and a foo foo drink to think about it.

Laura