CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Celtic Thunder Cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/397152-celtic-thunder-cruise.html)

venice June 21st, 2013 05:21 AM

Celtic Thunder Cruise

I was watching PBS a couple of weeks ago and came across a show featuring the Celtic Thunder production and was not surprise to discover that there is a full charter music cruise this November featuring this group among others of Irish Heritage

Paul usually does an annual round up article about various full charter music theme cruises

What would be your dream full charter experience?

rollerdonna June 21st, 2013 09:00 AM

My dream would be the Bee Gees, but that's not going to happen, but I'd settle for a
Barry Gibb cruise. I sure wouldn't mind seeing Celtic Thunder though, LOVE them!

donna

skymaster June 21st, 2013 05:15 PM

I too, would like to do the "Celtic Thunder" cruise, but it's at a time when I couldn't leave (the lovely Mrs. Jones is doing another Med Cruise/X-Atlantic at that time) and frankly, I think the price it truly outrageous!
If I had my choice of music theme cruises, it'd be a "Big Band" theme, with folks like Harry Connick Jr. aboard. LOVE BIG BAND music. Sadly, most of the very best of the big bands, and their singers are no longer with us.

"SKY"

venice June 21st, 2013 06:45 PM

The Jazz (straight ahead) Cruise is a big band full charter theme cruise that you might take in a future year (and yes Sky you can gring your Tuba and participate in the passenger allstar big band midnight jam session)...good news is that big band music is coming back led by New Orleans native Harry Connick Jr !!!!

The greatest barrier for most folks to try a full charter music theme cruise is the rate, but once they try it, most will tell you it' a great value for your vacation dollar...very high repeat business every year and some sell out more then a year in advance. The cruiselines have figured out that music theme cruises are "recession proof"

skymaster June 22nd, 2013 06:06 PM

8-):roll:Sounds GREAT Venice. Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye out for that cruise.
It'd be fun to bring along a Tuba, or electric bass. (Upright bass would be just TOO big to bring along!) :-( I love Harry Connick Jr.s music, along with others, like Michael Buble', who are doing modern arrangements of some of the "Standards". I love to hear that.

"SKY"

venice June 22nd, 2013 08:02 PM

Sky...check out The Jazz Cruise website and enter the free cabin giveaway contest....all of the full charter music cruises have workshops during sea days with the famous musicians that at the end of the cruise you perform with them in a live jam session (jazz fantasy camp at sea)

Since you also play the electric bass you would appreciate that on the Capital Jazz SuperCruise last year I was able to get pointers from Stanley Clarke (who brought his upright bass) This year Larry Graham (bass player with Sly and the Family Stone from the 60's) will be performing and doing a workshop with Gerald Veasley ( bass player with the late Grover Washington Jr.).

Maybe one day we will all wind up on a CruiseMate cruise and you and I and Paul can do a guitar tribute to Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton and Cream...lol...

skymaster June 23rd, 2013 10:58 AM

I'll check it out, for sure. Yep, it'd be loads of fun to meet you, and the rest of the gang on another CruiseMates cruise. Last one we did was New Years Eve, aboard the "Century". GREAT FUN, but way too long ago.
THANKS

Ken
"SKY"