Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2013, 12:20 AM
Admiral

Default Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf or other input please

I'm a girl okay I know nothing about cars. Except they cost a lot and I have to put gas in them. So my car started acting funny and not in a good way. Being a California resident I can get a rebate for getting either a Chevy Volt or a Nissan Leaf, both cars qualify for the carpool lane and both qualify for a $7,500 tax credit. So between these two cars which would you chose and why? Or should I be looking at a different car? Thanks for your help.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Personally, for the money, I would consider a Prius Plug-in, Focus Hybrid or even a Lexus Hybrid.

The cost of the Volt is high and the $7500 tax is good but not great.

The LEAF is an issue since it is a totally electric car. If you run out of charge you are out of luck. There is also a problem with battery memory and the batteries are not made for high heat or cold. They are basically worthless in northern climates. At 0 degrees Fahrenheit they will lose half of their battery capacity.

If you have to get a Volt or LEAF, I would go with the Volt but it would be a "have to" situation. Hopefully, battery technology will improve in the next few years to make the all electric car more affordable and practical.

BTW: You will save a lot on gas but be prepared to see your electric bill significantly increase. However, your overall cost will be less than a hybrid.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 15th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Purchase a Harley with a sidecar and go to Sturgis and then go on the High Seas Rally cruise in October on Royal Caribbean

When you get back from your fun..look at a hybrid VW Jetta
Old July 15th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by albiondavid View Post
The LEAF's guessitmate range is 100 miles but we'll see what it does real world when the car actually exists. Plugging it in take an alleged 16 hours to charge on 110V, 8 hours on 220V but owners will need a 220V circuit installed in their parking area. Good luck with that in the big city.

The charging infrastructure is so limited, there are only a few cities in the US you can drive and charge the car. Unless you live in Seattle or San Diego, you simply will not have a public charging option.
I live in California there is a charging station a block from my house. So that part is not an issue. From my reading the 100 miles city and 93 highway is on fully electric power and a charge only lasts 25 to 50 miles. On the Chevy Volt the gas genarator powers the electric engine and the MPG drops to 35 city and 40 highway. Still an excellent MPG.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 15th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Personally, for the money, I would consider a Prius Plug-in, Focus Hybrid or even a Lexus Hybrid.

The cost of the Volt is high and the $7500 tax is good but not great.

The LEAF is an issue since it is a totally electric car. If you run out of charge you are out of luck. There is also a problem with battery memory and the batteries are not made for high heat or cold. They are basically worthless in northern climates. At 0 degrees Fahrenheit they will lose half of their battery capacity.

If you have to get a Volt or LEAF, I would go with the Volt but it would be a "have to" situation. Hopefully, battery technology will improve in the next few years to make the all electric car more affordable and practical.

BTW: You will save a lot on gas but be prepared to see your electric bill significantly increase. However, your overall cost will be less than a hybrid.

Take care,
Mike
We ran the costs on the electric bill and compared it to the charging station about the corner. Then compared it to the $3.93 per gallon we pay for gas in California and even charging at home we would save money.

I won't buy another Ford product I had issues with an Aerostar plus I hate the Focus. My mom was rear ended by one on the street and I was rear ended on freeway by one. I know that shouldn't be a reason to disregard a car but it feels like bad luck. Lexus probably not in my price range. But I will check out the Prius Plug-in. My only issue with the Prius, and here is the girly side coming out, it's so ugly.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 15th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Kat, my sister in law has one of the Prius plug in's. You get used to the ugly quickly. It's a really nice car.
Old July 15th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Captain

I recently saw a "total cost of ownership" study and I remember the following results:

Toyota Prius Electric Hybrid: Highest recommendation, shortest recovery period on investment.
Chevy Volt: Longest period to recover your investment, low mechanical reliability.

The study took into account, among other factors; purchase price, maintenance costs, approx. fuel savings, and residual value.

I don't know if that Prius model qualifies for the subsidy or not. Ditto car pool lane.
(FYI: That makes 3 CM members that say Prius Hybrid,
plus.... Im ugly, but you still talk to me....)

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old July 15th, 2013, 04:55 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to LGriggs548

Kat,
Don't know if this helps or not but we have had our Prius Hybrid for almost 3 years. May not be the prettiest car we have ever had but we love our gas bills. We drive a LOT going back and forth for appointments in another city and locally and we live in the country so everything is pretty far. The highest amount I have spent on gas for an entire month is $50. Very reliable too and it has a lot of toys on it and I have hauled all kinds of things in it so we are pleased. Really like that 50+MPG-- Good luck in the hunt.
Old July 15th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Smile

Damn ugly hatch back prius. My dad has been nagging me to get one too. I told him I was getting a Challenger that is a good looking car. But I liked the look of the Chevy Volt. Plus it's an american brand car. Look at the sleek design of the Volt.

Instead I'll be trapped in the ugly mobile. Well it isn't in my nature to ignore the numbers and get the car I want. But hey maybe my car can hold on long enough for them to redesign the prius. Also ship2shore do you know when the study was. Because the price difference with the cash incentive didn't seem that far off. Between the plug in prius and the Volt. Maybe the normal prius is cheaper and the numbers were based on that. The plug in prius is pretty new to the market. On the bright side the plug in prius does quailfy for the carpool lane in California. The regular prius does not quailfy for the sticker in California. Eligible Vehicles - Single Occupant Carpool Lane Use Stickers

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 15th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Captain

The study was released about 10 days ago, and based on projected resale values of new Gas/Electric and 100% electric vehicles, 2013 model year.
The Prius was the gas/electric hybrid.
I was surprised to hear the Prius recovery period was so short, something like 5.5 years if memory serves me right.
The Volt was something like 15 years, obviously longer than most Chevys will even last. But it sure will look good, dead by the side of the road...

I will try and find the study online. I also doubt the vehicles were California-standard vehicles, but I could be wrong...

Last edited by ship2shore; July 15th, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old July 15th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Katlady,

I you lived adjacent to a Texas refinery you might be able to own a fully restored race ready 64 Galaxie XL 500 coupe with a twin four barreled 428 CID mill beneath the hood. By the time you hit second you'd give an entirely new meaning to the term, "Thunder Road!"

Boy, were those the days for us who fall under the "Old Geezer" category!

Prius?....Bah Humbug!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old July 15th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
!"

!
I'm an old geezer myself. When I got out of the Army I bought a Dodge Coronet RT that I used and abused for 14 years.
Boy those days sure were fun.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 15th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
The study was released about 10 days ago, and based on projected resale values of new Gas/Electric and 100% electric vehicles, 2013 model year.
The Prius was the gas/electric hybrid.
I was surprised to hear the Prius recovery period was so short, something like 5.5 years if memory serves me right.
The Volt was something like 15 years, obviously longer than most Chevys will even last. But it sure will look good, dead by the side of the road...

I will try and find the study online. I also doubt the vehicles were California-standard vehicles, but I could be wrong...
See the problem with that study is it doesn't take into account the $7000 in dealer incentives when they are trying to get the last 4 cars off the lot. Or the Federal tax credit of $7,500, California rebate of $1,500 taking those things into account the price of the Volt drops quite a bit. My union will even kick in $200 rebate for getting a "union" made car. Dude is there is a rebate, refund, tax credit out there I will find it. The carpool lane until June 30, 2015 is pretty sweet. Other people stuck in California traffic would feel me on that one. So taking all the rebates and credit into account I show a $800 price difference between my Hyundai Sonata and the Chevy Volt. While I was working out at the gym my hubby sneak off to the dealer and test drove one. He was hoping he wouldn't like it but that didn't happen.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 15th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Katlady,

I you lived adjacent to a Texas refinery you might be able to own a fully restored race ready 64 Galaxie XL 500 coupe with a twin four barreled 428 CID mill beneath the hood. By the time you hit second you'd give an entirely new meaning to the term, "Thunder Road!"

Prius?....Bah Humbug!
If you pay for the gas. I will get this bad boy instead. I could pull up right next to a Prius and rev the engine. Gas is expect to go up to $4.25 a gallon in a couple of weeks here.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 15th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Admiral

Isn't she pretty.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 16th, 2013, 12:50 AM
Captain

Kat> It sounds to me like Chevrolet cannot GIVE the things away....

I have leased Chevrolet from 1998 thru to when they dropped leasing in 2010 (and then put it back after clients bailed in droves).

I bought a Honda. MY GOD what a difference in reliability! Lets just say for arguments sake the Chevy was free.... I would probably still buy the Honda, and I betcha it will end up costing me less.

My 3 leased Chevrolet vehicles: in-warranty repairs summary
11 wheel bearings (unacceptable in vehicles under 50,000 miles)
1 engine/transmission gasket failure (they wanted $7000 to fix it, "I said read my extended warranty")
2 transmission control modules (2 different vehicles)
1 alternator - supercharged and burned out most of the electrical system
2 factory-installed radios needed to be replaced
rear dvd player replaced

Honda vehicle 3 years in (bought used from a dealership, 2006 model year)
15,000 miles per year, driven hard and loaded. Now has 100,000 miles on it.
***nothing***

Second Honda vehicle 2 years in (bought used from a dealership, 2005 model year)
10,000 miles per year, mostly lady-driven. Now has 90,000 miles on it.
***nothing***

I pity the fool that ended up buying my 3 leased, and out-of-warranty Chevrolets.

Old July 16th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
Isn't she pretty.
She is a beauty! It would be great to drive that here in Flagler County. There always nice cars on A1A and this baby would fit right in.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old July 16th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Yep, the VOLT is a good looking vehicle. Looks GREAT while broken down beside the road, with all the Prius Cars whizzing by! I too would NEVER buy the VOLT, as there are just too many issues with it, and the LEAF being all electric, is out as well. Go ahead and get a PRIUS, and enjoy getting to where you want to go, for very little money, for a long, long time.

"SKY"
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Thank you for the information on the repair issues with Chevy products. This is a huge concern for me. My Hyunadi (sp?) Sonata has been a very good car for me. I don't want to trade it in on a car that will have issues. I can still get the Federal tax credit, CA rebate and carpool stick on a Prius plug in. I think I need to test drive both cars and get a feel. Plus I will research reported repair issues on both cars. Prius will start looking prettier and pettier if it is a reliable car and cheaper. Besides I make any car look good.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 17th, 2013, 02:22 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I remember the Leaf being advertised at $18k so that's much cheaper than the Volt.

Personally, the only electric car I'd consider is Tesla because their batteries have a range close to 300 miles. The Leaf only has a real world range of 60 or so. Ok if you are close by everything and never go on a long trip.
Old July 17th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Admiral

I had good service from a Chevy truck that I kept for ten years. It needed very little service in that time period,

My SIL has a long commute and he is very happy with his Chevy Cruze.

I don't care for hybrids because you do have to repair an expensive battery after a few years.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old July 17th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I remember the Leaf being advertised at $18k so that's much cheaper than the Volt.

Personally, the only electric car I'd consider is Tesla because their batteries have a range close to 300 miles. The Leaf only has a real world range of 60 or so. Ok if you are close by everything and never go on a long trip.
I wish I had the money to buy a Tesla they look like great cars. According to the website the 60KWH battery goes 208 to 230 on one charge and the 85KWH goes 265 to 300 on one charge. My problem is the 60KWH is $62,400 and the 85 KWH is $72,400 and those prices are after the $7,500 Federal tax credit. So unless everyone wants to donate to my new car. I can't afford that. I will use the car to travel to Los Angeles so an all electric car isn't going to work for me. I will have to go with a hybrid electric/gas car.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 17th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I had good service from a Chevy truck that I kept for ten years. It needed very little service in that time period,

My SIL has a long commute and he is very happy with his Chevy Cruze.

I don't care for hybrids because you do have to repair an expensive battery after a few years.

TM
My hubby worked in an auto shop and I asked about repairs on Chevys. He doesn't remember getting a lot of them. Ford Taraus is the car he got a lot in his shop. That is true you save on gas with hybrid that pay it back with new batteries. They always seem to part me from my money.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 17th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Kat...go to Ebay and buy a DoLorean
Old July 17th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Admiral

What Mike M and Todd said...

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 17th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
If you pay for the gas. I will get this bad boy instead. I could pull up right next to a Prius and rev the engine. Gas is expect to go up to $4.25 a gallon in a couple of weeks here.
I am looking for one of these to go with my two '08 Impala SS.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 17th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Admiral

My twins look like this one...

Old July 17th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Just last night I spoke with my niece's husband. He works as a mechanic with a Minneapolis Toyota Dealer. I asked him about the battery on the Prius. His response is that they get VERY few Prius' in with battery problems. The most common problem is with the brakes but overall he thinks the Prius is one of the best buys in the Toyota line. Also the batteries have a 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty and 10 year, 150,000 warranty in California.

The cost to replace the batteries on a 2012 Prius is $3,200 but it would probably be under warranty so it is somewhat irrelevant. An out of warranty replacement is now around $3,200 - $3500 BUT there is now a large after-market (junk yard) supply of batteries that can be purchased for about 1/2 to 3/4 that amount.

I asked him why he didn't have one. His response: "Because they can't pull anything." He didn't use the word "anything". He has a lot of "toys" and drives a Toyota Tundra and my niece has a Highlander.

So, when Betty's Camry finally bites the dust, I may go the route of Prius.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 17th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post

So, when Betty's Camry finally bites the dust, I may go the route of Prius.

Take care,
Mike
It may be a LONG time before a Camry drops dead!
Kat, why not buy a Camry Hybrid? Great car, not bad looking, affordable, and 40mpg or so! Also, Honda has several different Hybrid vehicles,,,not just the little, ugly ones.

"SKY"
Old July 17th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
It may be a LONG time before a Camry drops dead!
Kat, why not buy a Camry Hybrid? Great car, not bad looking, affordable, and 40mpg or so! Also, Honda has several different Hybrid vehicles,,,not just the little, ugly ones.

"SKY"
Sadly the Camry hybrid is not an Electric Hybrid and doesn't quaify for the Federal tax credit or the California rebate of $1,500 or the Green sticker from DMV for the Carpool lane. So I would be giving up a lot for that type of hybrid. Below are links to the eligible vehicles. The Honda Accord has an electric plug in I haven't eyeballed that car yet. Bascially a ZEV (zero emission vehicle) and a PHEV (plug in hybrid electric vehicle) are the only ones that quailfy for the all the goodys.
Electric Vehicle and Plug-in Hybrid Tax Credits
CVRP Eligible Vehicles

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994