Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default A snapshot in time....

I was just watching a commercial which triggered a memory of one of our cruises.

We were taking the bus from the port of La Guaira to Caracas in Venezuela. The mountains were covered in green. We could not at first figure out what it was...it was green garbage bags! The entire sides of the mountains were covered. It seems the people living in the ranchitos, tossed the bags out when full,and the goverment would come by periodically,and remove the garbage and trash.. The balls of electric wires were shared by 100's,and women were washing clothes on the rocks in the river.

These scenes are etched in my mind,and I appreciate having gotten a glimpse of daily life in another part of the world.

Is there a story, a scenario, an interaction that you remember to this day of a cruise you took? Sometimes you can be transported back in time, with just a memory.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Admiral

41 years ago ,my very first cruise arriving in Bermuda ,my first ever visit to paradise .
Old July 16th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Admiral

In 2009 in April we flew to Paris and took the high speed train to Lyon to catch a Peter Deilmann River Cruise on the Rhone/Rhine rivers...we arrived on a friday very jet lagged and after checking into our hotel decided to have a drink in the village square...much to our surprise a large group of people appeared in the square and we thought it was a protest march...much to our surprise (and we had forgotten in our excitement) it was Good Friday and what we observed was a recreation of the Cruxification last walk...as the cross with Christ walked past us I took lots of pictures...it was a great start to an incredible adventure

We did a shore excursion in Avionne at a 3 generation family own winery....during WW2 it was occupied by the Nazi's who shipped the wine to Berlin...our guide was an older family member who had been a teenager during the war...I raised my hand to ask her what it was like during that period and my cabinmate pulled my hand down and reminded me that besides one other American couple, the entire boat consisted of retired guests from Germany (Deilmann was German owned)

On our river cruise were 112 Germans and 4 Americans..virtually all of our German cruisers could speak English fairly well, the 4 of us, could not speak German...once they found out I was from New Orleans our dinner conversation was based around New Orleans and Hurricane Katrina..to this day we correspond with several of our new friends either on Good Friday or August 30th (Hurricane Katrina)...I bring out the pictures of that river cruise and it brings back great memories

If you have never taken a river cruise to Europe, I recommend that you place it on your bucket list