CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Beware of Social Networking sites (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/397920-beware-social-networking-sites.html)

ToddDH July 16th, 2013 02:54 PM

Beware of Social Networking sites

I swore I was never going to join a social networking site but in a way, I was duped into doing just that. In short, ignorance sure ain't bliss.

To keep in touch with some of my cop buddies, I joined LinkedIn. BIG MISTAKE!

They in effect through sleight of hand, literally hijacked my entire e-mail list and is sending "invitations to all of them. Not only is this embarrassing to say the least, but it can have economic repercussions depending upon who get's hold of this information.

In the back of my mind, I knew there was a reason why I never joined Facebook or any other similar site. Now I know exactly why. But of course, it's too late.

One would think such tactics would be illegal but evidently they aren't from what I'm reading and there is no simple way to make it all "go away." Once they have you, believe me, THEY HAVE YOU!!!!

Caveat Emptor! (even when it's free!)

seadog2 July 16th, 2013 05:04 PM

Well I sure thank you for this info. I got an invite from a friend today to join Linkedin. I know the person who sent the invite but I'm not familiar with the site. I've just made up my mind. Thanks.

Manuel July 16th, 2013 05:25 PM

Todd, thanks for the info.

TM

Trip July 16th, 2013 05:28 PM

I am confused...what type of info did you give them? The invitations went to your friends to join and connect? That's not terrible...

I know many business people including myself who are connected with no issues....

Mike M July 16th, 2013 05:31 PM

Did you join based on an "invitation" from a friend or did you go directly to the site and join?

I know I have been hit with MANY invitations to LinkedIn and I ignore all of them. Many have come from fellow Cruisemates.

Social Networking sites (Guess what? Cruisemates is one) can be great but you have to pay attention to what you are doing and what you see from others.

I am the PIA on Facebook that will post hoax alerts, tell people if what they post is a hoax and inform "friends" that they are making "Global" postings that everyone can see.

I love Facebook because it helps keep me in touch with my family all over the world and have the ability to keep up. Heck, it opened the door for me to discover my family in Australia. We met up with them in England, last year and met with another group in Las Vegas this year. Next year we will be invading them and they are thrilled.

However, I am very picky about who I "friend". If I don't personally know them then I don't accept the friend request. I also set up "Groups" so I can post things to only certain people, like Family, close friends, etc..

Social media is here and it will stay. Like everything, you just have to take some time and common sense to learn how to properly use it.

Take care,
Mike

Manuel July 16th, 2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1479315)

Social media is here and it will stay. Like everything, you just have to take some time and common sense to learn how to properly use it.

Take care,
Mike

Yes it is. I don't have to use it. I am not that important and I do have a telephone.

TM

johnthed0g July 16th, 2013 06:32 PM

Facebook..

I am on Facebook & help run two groups, one about Barbados & another about cruises, we keep an eye out for trolls & spammers...both groups were started to avoid all the creeps & troublemakers & are doing well. One well known bully & poster of shall we say.... material of dubious veracity did throw his toys out of the pram & formed another group when he couldn't get his own way, I was surprised people actually joined.... but then that's people for you!

ToddDH July 16th, 2013 07:42 PM

Mike,

I joined as a result of an invitation which I only thereafter learned was my biggest mistake. Somehow, when giving their profile, one doesn't realize by answering an innocuous question, you give them full access to your e-mail.

By social networking I guess I should qualify that. I'm talking about outfits such as LinkedIn and yes, I know folks who have been burned on Facebook.

If that's your cup of tea then that's fine. My only suggestion to all is that you practice "due diligence." While I thought I had, I hadn't and am now paying the price.

C'est la guerre!

Lakers Fan July 16th, 2013 10:12 PM

I am not on Facebook but in the past I did belong to a site that could be classified as a social media site,it was known as CM .

LGriggs548 July 17th, 2013 09:37 AM

I, for one, am very glad Mike hangs out in Facebook and is so knowledgeable! He keeps me out of a lot of trouble and lets me know when I have done something dumb! I like social media-- it's a great way to keep up with folks. Thanks again Mike! ;)

Queen of Oakville July 17th, 2013 01:34 PM

There are many sites (including apps) which request access to your contacts.

I would assume that you answered yes to this type of question. You would also have given them access to your email password in order for them to access your contacts. I will admit that it is deceiving and it could look like you were singing into the site, when what you are really doing is providing your email password (but this would only hold true if your email password and your linked in password were the same)

What also happens on Liinked In - is that based on your profile (where you live, and the type of industry/companies you worked in) - Linked in makes recommendations for people that you may want to connect with.

For example, If I worked for CocaCola - and if I went to the section where Linked in Makes such types of recommendations - it would show me profile pictures of other people who work for CocoCola based on our joint network. If I worked in Production for CocaCola - it might recommend that I also connect with people who work in Production for Pepsicola, Kraft, General Mills etc.

As a result of those recommendations, people may see you as someone that linked in thinks they should connect with, and they will/could send you a request.

Many people use Linked in as a marketing or networking tool. Personally, I just use to keep in touch with business colleagues and watch people jump from company to company. It's kind of like facebook for business people.

ship2shore July 17th, 2013 04:33 PM

I use webmail for my Contacts.

Its a bit of a hassle when you WANT to import contacts, but as yet, LinkedIn or any other buggers, including viruses, have a heck of a time mining my contact data.

ToddDH July 18th, 2013 11:17 AM

Queen of Oakville,

I may well have unknowingly used my e-mail password as also my Linkedin password, but I am emphatic that I never knowingly at least, authorized Linkedin to send anyone any request to join except about ten people. I have spent several hours on line and have learned there are a myriad of people who swear they have never under any circumstances provided their e-mail password yet their e-mail lists were hijacked and many of these folks are allegedly very computer savvy and in many instances, are young professionals whom one would ordinarily suspect would know about such things in today's world.

Already, I am receiving e-mails from people whom I hardly know or from whom I must have received an e-mail relative to my quasi-business life but don't remember, asking me to please stop the multiple attempts to get them to join LinkedIn as a result of my perceived solicitation. Such, as I have been reading from numerous others, is embarrassing indeed.

Queen of Oakville July 18th, 2013 11:35 AM

I'm sorry you're going through this Todd. Like I said, it is confusing on the website, where you think you might be signing in to the website, but it is asking you for your email address and password.

I'm surprised though that people would complain to you. All they have to do is reject your invitation - and they should stop getting those emails. I do with requests from people that I don't want in my network (like my competitors). Usually, once you reject it - the requests stop coming. People get junk mail all the time, to try and complain about it - seems like a waste of time.

I understand though, why you are put off by the site.