Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Default Beware of Social Networking sites

I swore I was never going to join a social networking site but in a way, I was duped into doing just that. In short, ignorance sure ain't bliss.

To keep in touch with some of my cop buddies, I joined LinkedIn. BIG MISTAKE!

They in effect through sleight of hand, literally hijacked my entire e-mail list and is sending "invitations to all of them. Not only is this embarrassing to say the least, but it can have economic repercussions depending upon who get's hold of this information.

In the back of my mind, I knew there was a reason why I never joined Facebook or any other similar site. Now I know exactly why. But of course, it's too late.

One would think such tactics would be illegal but evidently they aren't from what I'm reading and there is no simple way to make it all "go away." Once they have you, believe me, THEY HAVE YOU!!!!

Caveat Emptor! (even when it's free!)
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Well I sure thank you for this info. I got an invite from a friend today to join Linkedin. I know the person who sent the invite but I'm not familiar with the site. I've just made up my mind. Thanks.
Old July 16th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Admiral

Todd, thanks for the info.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 16th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I am confused...what type of info did you give them? The invitations went to your friends to join and connect? That's not terrible...

I know many business people including myself who are connected with no issues....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 16th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Did you join based on an "invitation" from a friend or did you go directly to the site and join?

I know I have been hit with MANY invitations to LinkedIn and I ignore all of them. Many have come from fellow Cruisemates.

Social Networking sites (Guess what? Cruisemates is one) can be great but you have to pay attention to what you are doing and what you see from others.

I am the PIA on Facebook that will post hoax alerts, tell people if what they post is a hoax and inform "friends" that they are making "Global" postings that everyone can see.

I love Facebook because it helps keep me in touch with my family all over the world and have the ability to keep up. Heck, it opened the door for me to discover my family in Australia. We met up with them in England, last year and met with another group in Las Vegas this year. Next year we will be invading them and they are thrilled.

However, I am very picky about who I "friend". If I don't personally know them then I don't accept the friend request. I also set up "Groups" so I can post things to only certain people, like Family, close friends, etc..

Social media is here and it will stay. Like everything, you just have to take some time and common sense to learn how to properly use it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 16th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post

Social media is here and it will stay. Like everything, you just have to take some time and common sense to learn how to properly use it.

Take care,
Mike
Yes it is. I don't have to use it. I am not that important and I do have a telephone.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 16th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Default Facebook..

I am on Facebook & help run two groups, one about Barbados & another about cruises, we keep an eye out for trolls & spammers...both groups were started to avoid all the creeps & troublemakers & are doing well. One well known bully & poster of shall we say.... material of dubious veracity did throw his toys out of the pram & formed another group when he couldn't get his own way, I was surprised people actually joined.... but then that's people for you!
Old July 16th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Mike,

I joined as a result of an invitation which I only thereafter learned was my biggest mistake. Somehow, when giving their profile, one doesn't realize by answering an innocuous question, you give them full access to your e-mail.

By social networking I guess I should qualify that. I'm talking about outfits such as LinkedIn and yes, I know folks who have been burned on Facebook.

If that's your cup of tea then that's fine. My only suggestion to all is that you practice "due diligence." While I thought I had, I hadn't and am now paying the price.

C'est la guerre!
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Admiral

I am not on Facebook but in the past I did belong to a site that could be classified as a social media site,it was known as CM .
Old July 17th, 2013, 09:37 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to LGriggs548

I, for one, am very glad Mike hangs out in Facebook and is so knowledgeable! He keeps me out of a lot of trouble and lets me know when I have done something dumb! I like social media-- it's a great way to keep up with folks. Thanks again Mike!
Old July 17th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Admiral

There are many sites (including apps) which request access to your contacts.

I would assume that you answered yes to this type of question. You would also have given them access to your email password in order for them to access your contacts. I will admit that it is deceiving and it could look like you were singing into the site, when what you are really doing is providing your email password (but this would only hold true if your email password and your linked in password were the same)

What also happens on Liinked In - is that based on your profile (where you live, and the type of industry/companies you worked in) - Linked in makes recommendations for people that you may want to connect with.

For example, If I worked for CocaCola - and if I went to the section where Linked in Makes such types of recommendations - it would show me profile pictures of other people who work for CocoCola based on our joint network. If I worked in Production for CocaCola - it might recommend that I also connect with people who work in Production for Pepsicola, Kraft, General Mills etc.

As a result of those recommendations, people may see you as someone that linked in thinks they should connect with, and they will/could send you a request.

Many people use Linked in as a marketing or networking tool. Personally, I just use to keep in touch with business colleagues and watch people jump from company to company. It's kind of like facebook for business people.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old July 17th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Captain

I use webmail for my Contacts.

Its a bit of a hassle when you WANT to import contacts, but as yet, LinkedIn or any other buggers, including viruses, have a heck of a time mining my contact data.

Why you should never follow a penguin underwater
Old July 18th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Queen of Oakville,

I may well have unknowingly used my e-mail password as also my Linkedin password, but I am emphatic that I never knowingly at least, authorized Linkedin to send anyone any request to join except about ten people. I have spent several hours on line and have learned there are a myriad of people who swear they have never under any circumstances provided their e-mail password yet their e-mail lists were hijacked and many of these folks are allegedly very computer savvy and in many instances, are young professionals whom one would ordinarily suspect would know about such things in today's world.

Already, I am receiving e-mails from people whom I hardly know or from whom I must have received an e-mail relative to my quasi-business life but don't remember, asking me to please stop the multiple attempts to get them to join LinkedIn as a result of my perceived solicitation. Such, as I have been reading from numerous others, is embarrassing indeed.
Old July 18th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Admiral

I'm sorry you're going through this Todd. Like I said, it is confusing on the website, where you think you might be signing in to the website, but it is asking you for your email address and password.

I'm surprised though that people would complain to you. All they have to do is reject your invitation - and they should stop getting those emails. I do with requests from people that I don't want in my network (like my competitors). Usually, once you reject it - the requests stop coming. People get junk mail all the time, to try and complain about it - seems like a waste of time.

I understand though, why you are put off by the site.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991