CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Cruising During Hurricane Season!!!!! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/398137-cruising-during-hurricane-season.html)

venice July 26th, 2013 01:23 PM

Cruising During Hurricane Season!!!!!

I know people who were on a cruise in 2005 when Hurricane Katrina struck and last year to the date when Hurricane Isaac struck

I touched base with them recently and they confirmed they were staying home this year:idea::idea::idea: Last year I was onboard the Carnival Freedom for an a 8 day smooth jazz cruise and our last 2 days we were in the middle of Sandy. Roughest water that I have ever been in and we were tossed out of our beds for both nights (we were in the very front of the ship in a 4J cabin)

Most folks don't think that a category 1 hurricane does not do alot of damage...it hung over my Parish for 2 days and destroyed over 50% of the homes here (mine was spared).

For my fellow cruisemates who are cruising between now and mid November, be safe and be flexible

storybookcruises.com July 26th, 2013 11:09 PM

Personally, we like to travel during hurricane season because we get really great rates, plus everyone is back to work and back to school, so usually the ships aren't as full and there are hardly any kids onboard.

While we've cruised in September several times, we've been lucky and have only encountered a hurricane one time. We were doing our first port of call, Princess Cays, during an Eastern Caribbean itinerary, when the Captain announced there was a hurricane coming up from the south and we would have to alter our itinerary and do a Western Caribbean itinerary instead. We had a wonderful cruise with great weather the entire time.

A few days later I was talking to the Captain and he mentioned the funny thing was that all the other ships did the same thing as us with the exception of Carnival. He said he really felt sorry for those passengers because they had one hell of a ride.

During more than 11 years of selling cruises, I've heard that exact same thing has happened on several occasions.

Most cruise lines will not put you in danger in such a matter for the safety of their passengers and the safety of their ships.

But hurricane season is definitely one time of the year when I really suggest purchasing travel insurance. You hope you don't need it, but it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Pete

venice July 27th, 2013 04:44 AM

and work out a plan with your job to have Monday off as an option in case you are delayed

Last year during Hurricane Sandy...we were watching the weather report on the LED big screen on the lido deck every morning...the overwhelming majority of the guests onboard were from the mid atlantic area...as it became clear how massive Sandy was going to be, the "feeling" of our cruise changed and we encountered rough seas and heavy rains for 2 days...however, everyone had full confidence that our Captain on the Carnival Freedom would keep us safe and the crew did an excellent job in keeping us informed
We made it back to Ft Lauderdale ontime on Sunday...the airport was absolute madness