Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Familiar Face

Default Brain eating bacteria and salmonela

This thing about about brain eating bugs brought back a thought about a source of salmonela problems. When I was in Bermuda I stopped at a museum where they had an exhibit which discussed wildlife in Bermuda. Rats had driven the settlers out of Bermuda and apparently were still a problem as I saw a animal control officer putting rat traps down by the old walls. Another problem they are concerned about is turtles. There was a sign warning citizens not to release turtles. I wasn't sure about the problem they caused but i ran across a story about turtles being a source of salmonella infections..
“Since 1975, it has been illegal in the United States to sell or distribute small turtles with shells that measure less than 4 inches in length. This ban, enforced by the FDA , likely remains the most effective public health action to prevent Salmonella infections associated with turtles.” -Tom Chiller MD, MPH, Deputy Branch Chief, Mycotic Diseases Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
“Many people don't know that turtles and other reptiles can carry harmful germs that can make people very sick. For this reason, turtles and other reptiles might not be the best pets for your family, especially if there are children 5-years-old and younger or people with weakened immune systems living in your home.” -Casey Barton Behravesh DVM, DrPH, Deputy Branch Chief, Outbreak Response and Prevention Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

I would never have thought thaat a turtle could be a carrier of harmful germs.
Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I would wonder for those of us with multiple personalities - if they were to get brain eating bacteria, would the bacteria attack just one of the personalities brain, or would ALL of the person's personalities brains be affected.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 15th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Admiral

Armadillos can carry Hansen's Disease (leprosy) although the CDC says the risk of contracting it is small.
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Familiar Face

I wouldn't think about it either, but they do get into water sources so it makes sense. Sometimes I'm surprised by the origins of a lot of diseases, rats and pigs always seem worthy candidates to blame...but I guess not.
Old August 16th, 2013, 02:40 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
I would wonder for those of us with multiple personalities - if they were to get brain eating bacteria, would the bacteria attack just one of the personalities brain, or would ALL of the person's personalities brains be affected.
Lets ask Hannibal Lechter.
Maybe he can suggest a wine pairing?

Why you should never follow a penguin underwater
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

I just read about Custer's Last Stand and they said in the book the Indian women put sewing awls in Custer's ears. That is a scary thought but no less scary than Hannibal Lecter's activities. He's the boogie man of my age group.