CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   44 years ago today (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/398434-44-years-ago-today.html)

Lakers Fan August 16th, 2013 11:10 PM

44 years ago today
 
Where were you August 16 ,1969 ?I know where
"Venice " was .

Aerogirl August 16th, 2013 11:31 PM

I was six ...no idea.
Elvis died 36 years ago today and I know where I was. At my friends house waiting for her mom to finish frying chicken when it came on the news that the king was dead.



Ahh Woodstock, I had to Google the date.

Manuel August 16th, 2013 11:45 PM

I was in Portugal.

TM

Lakers Fan August 17th, 2013 12:31 AM

Woodstock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerogirl (Post 1482430)
I was six ...no idea.
Elvis died 36 years ago today and I know where I was. At my friends house waiting for her mom to finish frying chicken when it came on the news that the king was dead.



Ahh Woodstock, I had to Google the date.

The greatest music festival ever .

venice August 17th, 2013 04:36 AM

Thanks for reminding me of the best birthday weekend ever 8-)8-)

I remember 3 things....naked hippie girls rofl rofl...seeing Sly and the Family Stone (Looking forward to seeing Larry Graham (base player) on the Carnival Freedom this November on my Capital Jazz SuperCruise) singing "I Want To Take You Higher":cool:...:cool:....how scared my friends and I were because we didn' tell our parents where we were (no cell phones in those days)roflroflrofl

At the time, we did not know that we were at a life changing special event..ironic, next month I will be attending my college 40th reunion (first time back on campus since graduation)..the summer of 1969 was the end of an era...the world got very ugly after Woodstock...I think on my way back from my reunion, I will make a wide detour and visit Bethel NY and go thru my little town that I was raised in..

Woodstock could never happen again (they tried a few years back but it failed)..I think I will ask my young beautiful single female neighbor, who owns a 1973 VW Beetle, if we can go for a long birthday ride in the country today in her beetle,while listening to the 25th anniversary of Woodstock CD on my MP3 player and request that she not wear a roflroflbra roflroflrofl...

Luanne Russo August 17th, 2013 08:25 AM

I was also just a child. I loved Sly, and would have loved to hear them live, but when I saw all that mud, and yes lack of Bra, I was glad I was to young.
Of course when they sang "I want to take you higher" I thought they meant a plane ride.:D



Just think, all those braless women today, have to pick up their boobs around their waist, to put a bra on.:D

For the death of Elvis, I was babysitting, and watching cartoons with the kids.

rayb August 17th, 2013 08:31 AM

I was in Ohare changing planes. Just got back from Europe. They announce on the loudspeaker that Elvis had passed. Remember it very well.

Paul B August 17th, 2013 10:40 AM

I was in Vietnam.

Manuel August 17th, 2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B (Post 1482464)
I was in Vietnam.

44 years ago I was a Vietnam Veteran.

TM

LS80 August 17th, 2013 11:15 AM

It was the summer before my senior year in high school for me & Larry was in Vietnam...........

Luanne.........they're not down to my waist.........rofl

Woodstock was just TOO far away for me....... ;)





Sharon

venice August 17th, 2013 11:19 AM

I can confirm that Elvis was not at Woodstock either as a performer or being spotted incognito as a hippie....however there was a "haze" so one could never be certain roflrofl

Just for the record...1969 was long before the fad of breast enlargement operations, so I am sure over a 44 year span, things are :cool:holding up well:cool:

These days Lipitor replaces LSD..full charter music theme cruises (Woodstock at sea) replaces land mega music festivals..69. naked:shock: Hippie:shock: girls have grown into 2013 naked :roll:Cougars:roll:..my 69 black VW beetle has been replaced by my 2013 blackVW "R" Beetle...my 8 track tape that I paid $49 to install into my 69 beetle has been replaced with my $3500 USB "Cloud" navigation music factory installed system..paid $300 for my 69 beetle used, $30,000 for my 13 brand new

The only constant 44 years and counting...the music....Larry Graham, Carlos Santana, Joe Cocker draw huge multi generational fans today as they did that weekend in 1969..WABC Bruce "Cousin Brucie" Morrow could not classify( Black/White) the music then, still can't today

Lakers Fan August 17th, 2013 12:05 PM

hippie girls
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1482437)
Thanks for reminding me of the best birthday weekend ever 8-)8-)

I remember 3 things....naked hippie girls rofl rofl...seeing Sly and the Family Stone (Looking forward to seeing Larry Graham (base player) on the Carnival Freedom this November on my Capital Jazz SuperCruise) singing "I Want To Take You Higher":cool:...:cool:....how scared my friends and I were because we didn' tell our parents where we were (no cell phones in those days)roflroflrofl

At the time, we did not know that we were at a life changing special event..ironic, next month I will be attending my college 40th reunion (first time back on campus since graduation)..the summer of 1969 was the end of an era...the world got very ugly after Woodstock...I think on my way back from my reunion, I will make a wide detour and visit Bethel NY and go thru my little town that I was raised in..

Woodstock could never happen again (they tried a few years back but it failed)..I think I will ask my young beautiful single female neighbor, who owns a 1973 VW Beetle, if we can go for a long birthday ride in the country today in her beetle,while listening to the 25th anniversary of Woodstock CD on my MP3 player and request that she not wear a roflroflbra roflroflrofl...

My friend at the time ,Marna was one of the hippie chicks .My childhood neighbor Richard P. Havens was discovered by the world .
I was convinced that Woodstock would be a mess because I knew one of the organizers ,Mike Lang and could never believe that anything he was involved with could be a success .Years later I publicly apologized to Mike.
My wife and I were in Canada 44 years ago today.

Trip August 17th, 2013 12:34 PM

I must be one of the few who never felt the need to go to Woodstock...I hate huge crowds, I hate mud, and naked people,and porta potties:) Feh!

My son wished he was born a year earlier so he can say, he was born in the 60's..:)

venice August 17th, 2013 02:07 PM

?Trip...you sound like meroflrofl.....it was billed as a folk festival, and we would not have gone based on that..it was only 2 towns over so we could go the back way...when we heard the Gov had shut down the NYS Thruway and that there were 1/2 million hippies, well like any 18 year old males with hormones...:roll::roll: we figured we could go for a few hours and be home before sundown...we got lost and could not figure how to get back to the van...we were also :roll:distracted:roll: by the :shock:views:shock:...there were no port-a-potties...just shrubs,bushes and trees...open air bathing in the ponds...our eyes and minds were overwhelm with visual images..like a kid in a candy store
There was no violence...in many ways going to the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival every year these days remind me of 69 Woodstock..
At that time on the East Coast, no one had ever heard of the Bay Area Bands, Sly & The Family Stone or Santana...Laker Fan is correct about Richie Havens....before Woodstock he was unknown and gain fame because he was the opening act and was forced to perform for hours because the other headline artists could not get to the stage...the other unknown was Jimi Hendrix....Sly performed at sunset...they were one of the first bands to be integrated and to have a female horn section, it was magic..Joe Cocker, when I closed my eyes sounded
more soul then Otis Redding...my greatest regret, I did not have a camera with me..Laker Fan is also correct, the promoters lost their shirts and only after selling the film rights 25+ years later did they recoup any monies...fyi, most folks today think the town Woodstock is where the Festival was..not true the town pulled the permit so they moved it to Bethel

skymaster August 17th, 2013 04:54 PM

The only "wood stock" I remember was on my M-1!
Seriously, I was also a Vietnam Vet, and was working at NYPD at the time. That evening, I attended a showing of "Chicago" on Broadway, and when we went outside for the intermission, someone stated that "The King is Dead". Well, it took a bit of time to figure out which "King" they were talking about, but at last, we understood that Elvis was dead.

"SKY"

Fern August 17th, 2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers Fan (Post 1482429)
Where were you August 16 ,1969 ?I know where
"Venice " was .

I was probably packing for my freshman year in college. Didn't have a clue about Woodstock. I fancied myself a "hippie", but now, when I look back, I wasn't even close :)!

Lakers Fan August 17th, 2013 10:08 PM

hippie
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern (Post 1482525)
I was probably packing for my freshman year in college. Didn't have a clue about Woodstock. I fancied myself a "hippie", but now, when I look back, I wasn't even close :)!


Society coined the word hippie .I did not know anyone who ever considered themselves a hippie.

venice August 18th, 2013 03:55 AM

Timothy Leary & Jennifer O'Neal (Summer of 42) identified themselves as "hippies"..probably was more Madison Avenue then Greenwich Village term

Most Americans at that time were "anti hippie", but in many ways hippies were at the forefront of the "green movement", healthy lifestyles, and technology era. J. Edgar Hoover bundled the hippies and black panthers together as enemies of the State and focused resources to infiltrate and spy on them (in an ironic twist of fate, for the 1st time, Hoover had to break the Bureau's long standing policy of racial discrimination by recruiting Black field agents during that period)..Hoover also thought hippies were Communist

VW is introducing an updated Version of the Microbus in the next few years in a hippie flower power special edition model

At Woodstock, most of the females did not shave their legs or underarms which :confused:shocked:confused: me...In 2009, I visited Paris for the first time and saw the same thing and was still:confused:shocked:confused: I had no desire to be a hippie or the lifestyle associated with it...the Madison Avenue types made a fortune off the movement as well as the record industry..this past season of Mad Men illustrated perfectly that era..lots of parallels between the hippie movement and the 60's Civil Rights struggle....don't remember seeing too many folks at Woodstock that looked like me...I chalk it up to it being advertised as a folk festival featuring Crosby,Stills and Nash etc. ..that's why Santana and Sly's performance stood out...Nixon was really a closet hippie when he flashed the peace signroflroflrofl

venice August 18th, 2013 07:19 AM

Laker Fan...Richie Haven's ashes will be spread over the field on which the stage was erected today, as per his wishes...fitting tribute..Cheech and Chong , along with the group War will perform...they expect about 3000 folks

In thinking about the era 1963-1969, in many ways it reminds me of what is going on today...65 Voting Rights Act was passed which caused the South to convert from Democrat to the Republican Party via the"southern strategy"...13, Voting Rights enforcement portion gutted. and Voter suppression laws passed in southern states with Republican majority state houses and Gov. ..63March on Washington 13 March on Washington....Nixon using the FBI & IRS to spy on and punish his. political enemies...NSA, IRS, FBI scandals today...68 trying to get out of Vietnam...13 trying to get out of several war zones...60's hippie theme about destroying earth and our environment..13 Global Warming and EPA...60's free love access to birth control and Woman's Rights ..13 battle to restrict a Woman's Right To Choose....60's deep racial divide.,.13/deep racial divide...

The main difference is the age of 24/7 cable news and social networking...if they existed in 1969, Woodstock would have been covered very differently and would be perceived as a polarizing event, rather then one that brought folks together in a peaceful setting to enjoy the music...I could have used my tablet GPS to locate our van rofl...there would have been world wide coverage on C-Span rofl...port-a-potties would have been everywhere sponsored by ****** & Cialis (with flat screens inside showing commercials)roflrofl...TMZ would have all the raw footage of naked hippie girls (and guys) so I would not have had to go and see for myselfroflrofl...the artists line up would have been different and the audience would have a different composition...instead of Richie Havens it would be Jay Z....instead of Joe Cocker it would be Robin Thicke...instead of Joan Baez it would be Taylor Swift..instead of Jimi Hendrix it would be Prince...FOX 's O'Reilly and Hannity and talk radio Rush would declare it the breakdown of society...CNN Anderson Cooper would be right in the middle of the field singing "Higher" with me roflrofl
I would not have gone to Woodstock....I would be saving my $$$$ to go on my smooth jazz cruise to admire the bikini clad women on the beaches of Aruba while listening to Larry Graham on my headphones

Lakers Fan August 18th, 2013 04:36 PM

Venice
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1482531)
Timothy Leary & Jennifer O'Neal (Summer of 42) identified themselves as "hippies"..probably was more Madison Avenue then Greenwich Village term

Most Americans at that time were "anti hippie", but in many ways hippies were at the forefront of the "green movement", healthy lifestyles, and technology era. J. Edgar Hoover bundled the hippies and black panthers together as enemies of the State and focused resources to infiltrate and spy on them (in an ironic twist of fate, for the 1st time, Hoover had to break the Bureau's long standing policy of racial discrimination by recruiting Black field agents during that period)..Hoover also thought hippies were Communist

VW is introducing an updated Version of the Microbus in the next few years in a hippie flower power special edition model

At Woodstock, most of the females did not shave their legs or underarms which :confused:shocked:confused: me...In 2009, I visited Paris for the first time and saw the same thing and was still:confused:shocked:confused: I had no desire to be a hippie or the lifestyle associated with it...the Madison Avenue types made a fortune off the movement as well as the record industry..this past season of Mad Men illustrated perfectly that era..lots of parallels between the hippie movement and the 60's Civil Rights struggle....don't remember seeing too many folks at Woodstock that looked like me...I chalk it up to it being advertised as a folk festival featuring Crosby,Stills and Nash etc. ..that's why Santana and Sly's performance stood out...Nixon was really a closet hippie when he flashed the peace signroflroflrofl

I have a book titled Festival Songbook .My picture is in it .

You are quite right ,there were very few people of color at Woodstock .
I don't think that it was because Crosby Stills and Nash were advertised ,That was their first public appearance .

Lakers Fan August 18th, 2013 04:44 PM

Richie ,etc
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1482534)
Laker Fan...Richie Haven's ashes will be spread over the field on which the stage was erected today, as per his wishes...fitting tribute..Cheech and Chong , along with the group War will perform...they expect about 3000 folks

In thinking about the era 1963-1969, in many ways it reminds me of what is going on today...65 Voting Rights Act was passed which caused the South to convert from Democrat to the Republican Party via the"southern strategy"...13, Voting Rights enforcement portion gutted. and Voter suppression laws passed in southern states with Republican majority state houses and Gov. ..63March on Washington 13 March on Washington....Nixon using the FBI & IRS to spy on and punish his. political enemies...NSA, IRS, FBI scandals today...68 trying to get out of Vietnam...13 trying to get out of several war zones...60's hippie theme about destroying earth and our environment..13 Global Warming and EPA...60's free love access to birth control and Woman's Rights ..13 battle to restrict a Woman's Right To Choose....60's deep racial divide.,.13/deep racial divide...

The main difference is the age of 24/7 cable news and social networking...if they existed in 1969, Woodstock would have been covered very differently and would be perceived as a polarizing event, rather then one that brought folks together in a peaceful setting to enjoy the music...I could have used my tablet GPS to locate our van rofl...there would have been world wide coverage on C-Span rofl...port-a-potties would have been everywhere sponsored by ****** & Cialis (with flat screens inside showing commercials)roflrofl...TMZ would have all the raw footage of naked hippie girls (and guys) so I would not have had to go and see for myselfroflrofl...the artists line up would have been different and the audience would have a different composition...instead of Richie Havens it would be Jay Z....instead of Joe Cocker it would be Robin Thicke...instead of Joan Baez it would be Taylor Swift..instead of Jimi Hendrix it would be Prince...FOX 's O'Reilly and Hannity and talk radio Rush would declare it the breakdown of society...CNN Anderson Cooper would be right in the middle of the field singing "Higher" with me roflrofl
I would not have gone to Woodstock....I would be saving my $$$$ to go on my smooth jazz cruise to admire the bikini clad women on the beaches of Aruba while listening to Larry Graham on my headphones

Richie and I lived on the same street but I did not "discover" him until I was hanging out it Greenwich Village in places he was appearing .I had great admiration for him over the years because he never "sold out." That could be said only about a handful of protest singers such as Pete Seeger and Buffy Ste-Marie.

Re the current singers ,I don't think to much of Jay Z ,Taylor Swift ,etc .
Prince is 60 so he would not be a Jimi Hendrix substitute .

My days of going to folk festivals or rock concerts are way behind me although in 2003 I went to a hippiefest concert .

venice August 18th, 2013 07:09 PM

I saw Prince jam with Larry Graham..great show...Prince & Hendrix shared alot in common and both were not embraced for their musical genius until much later..Prince would be perfect for Woodstock...surprised that someone has not come out with a remix of Prince & Hendrix..if you ever have the opportunity to see Prince live...go..he is amazing

I once went to an outdoor concert in Mississippi that featured Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry..talk about a great show...I was very8-) nervous8-) because I was in the distinct minority ..however, when they did "My Ding-A-Ling" everybody started singingroflroflrofl

Kid Rock would be at Woodstock today

ToddDH August 18th, 2013 08:10 PM

Just reviewing this thread and noticed where you, Venice, mentioned Bruce Morrow. It was '69 but before Woodstock that I helped a friend deliver furniture to Bruce's residence. If I remember correctly though I can't be positive, he lived at that time on Ocean Pkwy. in Brooklyn.

I do have a cute story about an incident that involved Morrow when he was a guest speaker at a function in Hyde Park (a couple of years before I went to New York) that involved the, at that time, manager of the one AM radio station in Hyde Park that I'll relate when I have more time.

The evening of the date in question I was in a gin mill on 4th Avenue in Bay Ridge.

venice August 18th, 2013 08:36 PM

Todd.."Cousin Brucie" is alive and well and was on the first Malt Shop Memories Cruise...back in the day in the NYC area he was huge...he had the prime 7 pm to midnight am slot and Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons sang his theme song...I was a big fan of Wolfman Jack but could only get his show on a clear night on the then much smaller am show...I once was on his show when I called in to request a song by the Brooklyn Bridge for a girl I had a crush on and wanted to marry at age 16roflrofl

"Cousin Brucie" was tongue tied when he tried to describe the music of Sly and the Family Stone to his listeners...I remember he got into big trouble when he played a James Brown funk song on his show back in the 60's (which was a no-no for am radio at the time)

Back then AM radio was king and no one listen to FM radio...WABC 77.7 was king, now it's like #14 in the market..if a song was more then 2 minutes 39 seconds it could not be played on the air...they had a heck of a time with Iron Butterflyroflrofl

Lakers Fan August 18th, 2013 09:14 PM

Prince
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1482595)
I saw Prince jam with Larry Graham..great show...Prince & Hendrix shared alot in common and both were not embraced for their musical genius until much later..Prince would be perfect for Woodstock...surprised that someone has not come out with a remix of Prince & Hendrix..if you ever have the opportunity to see Prince live...go..he is amazing

I once went to an outdoor concert in Mississippi that featured Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry..talk about a great show...I was very8-) nervous8-) because I was in the distinct minority ..however, when they did "My Ding-A-Ling" everybody started singingroflroflrofl

Kid Rock would be at Woodstock today

A friend of mine ,a retired actress was considered for the role played by Appollonia Kotero.
Prince wanted her for the role but he loved Appolonia .

Lakers Fan August 18th, 2013 09:16 PM

Bruce
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddDH (Post 1482600)
Just reviewing this thread and noticed where you, Venice, mentioned Bruce Morrow. It was '69 but before Woodstock that I helped a friend deliver furniture to Bruce's residence. If I remember correctly though I can't be positive, he lived at that time on Ocean Pkwy. in Brooklyn.

I do have a cute story about an incident that involved Morrow when he was a guest speaker at a function in Hyde Park (a couple of years before I went to New York) that involved the, at that time, manager of the one AM radio station in Hyde Park that I'll relate when I have more time.

The evening of the date in question I was in a gin mill on 4th Avenue in Bay Ridge.

Bruce Morrow aka Morowitz had a condo on Ocean Parkway as recently as 5 years ago.He may still own the apartment.

Lakers Fan August 18th, 2013 09:19 PM

Iron Butterfly
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1482602)
Todd.."Cousin Brucie" is alive and well and was on the first Malt Shop Memories Cruise...back in the day in the NYC area he was huge...he had the prime 7 pm to midnight am slot and Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons sang his theme song...I was a big fan of Wolfman Jack but could only get his show on a clear night on the then much smaller am show...I once was on his show when I called in to request a song by the Brooklyn Bridge for a girl I had a crush on and wanted to marry at age 16roflrofl

"Cousin Brucie" was tongue tied when he tried to describe the music of Sly and the Family Stone to his listeners...I remember he got into big trouble when he played a James Brown funk song on his show back in the 60's (which was a no-no for am radio at the time)

Back then AM radio was king and no one listen to FM radio...WABC 77.7 was king, now it's like #14 in the market..if a song was more then 2 minutes 39 seconds it could not be played on the air...they had a heck of a time with Iron Butterflyroflrofl

They were essentially a one hit wonder .In -A-Gadda-Da-Vida is one of the greatest songs ever written .
Iron Butterfly released 2 LP's with the song on it .I have both .

venice August 19th, 2013 02:13 AM

You could sell them on EBAY and make $$$$$

ToddDH August 19th, 2013 08:34 AM

Venice,

Though I wasn't a big fan of Doo-Wop, again if I remember correctly, the Doo-Wop show was on Sundays (but it wasn't, of course, hosted by Morrow).

The story I was previously mentioning is this. The friend who had managed the AM station in Hyde Park, had a "whiskey voice" that was in the basement; in short, the absolute epitome of a disc jockey's voice. At the time the following occurred, WABC absolutely controlled the market at any time, night or day.....with one exception.

My friend Jim strangely enough, didn't want to be a DJ, rather in the early forties as a youngster, he was far more interested in the technical aspects of radio. He was eventually made manager in Hyde Park when WABC controlled everything within around a 100 miles of New York....they "owned" the market.

Jim was (and is) extremely analytical. you'll recall Venice, that back then, the news in AM radio came, in the overwhelming number of highly rated stations, at the top of each hour. Jim, instead of broadcasting the news at the top of every hour, instructed all of his DJ's to play the #1 hit instead. Well, back then when the kids listed to the radio, whenever the news came on all of us kids (as I'm sure did you) would go "station hunting," even if they were listening to WABC. In only a manner of weeks, Jim's station absolutely controlled the market in the Poughkeepsie/Hyde Park area and dis so for I understand a number of years. It was such a feat in the radio world, that the WABC DJ's would mock the Hyde Park station and when they gave the weather, wouldn't include the Mid-Hudson Valley. Though I wasn't around when all this occurred, folks in Hyde Park said the "happening" for lack of a better term, was fascinating.

Okay, seguey to a few years after all of this occurred. Bruce was the guest speaker at a function in Hyde Park of WWII Vets, most of whom were combat Vets and who didn't of course like the "modern" music. Well, Bruce was going from table to table introducing himself. He came up to Jim's table (at which some of the Vets seated there were VERY successful business executives). He pulled his patented high pitched, "High, I'm Cousin Brucie!" and asked Jim (who by luck of the draw was the first person Morrrow addressed at that table) who he was. Jim, just looked up at Morrow with a sly grin and in that tremendous gravelly base voice said, "I'm the SOB who blew you out of the Hudson Valley!" The table just absolutely broke up and Morrow turned as red as a beet and immediately excused himself to the next table.

venice August 19th, 2013 10:13 AM

Todd..great story, thanks for sharing...Cousin Brucie's big rival was Murray The K out of Cleveland...when Cousin Brucie left the air he went into business with a consortium that purchase several radio stations including the one in Hyde Park, that your friend probably worked at

The success of the full charter Malt Shop Memories Cruise, demonstrates the staying power of the music of that era and the absolute power of the DJ''s who could make or break a hit record...would never happen today with the market being dominated by 1-2 corporate mega media corporations (Clear View Communications etc) where everything is programmed and "canned" and DJ's play from a playlist..many stations dropped that format in favor of talk radio

Ironic, the cruise industry and PBS have saved the great music of that era (doo wop, Soul Train, smooth jazz etc) and provided a forum for those artists to continue their careers


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1