Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Default Half As Much!!!

In preparation for my 40th college reunion, I went online to see if my favorite sub shop was still there...much to my glee it is and I remember paying $2.99 for a 12 inch sub, with chips and soda in 1969...today it will cost me $6.99

But to my point, in those days I could eat 2 full subs...today, I can barely eat 1/2 sub...it seems that I can barely eat half of most of my favorite sandwiches or salads

Major exception to this rule is when I am on my annual cruise...I can eat a full Rueben sandwich and chips everyday (would not make my cardiologist very happy), plus I eat double desserts at lunch (never at dinner) and not gain an ounce (I have key lime pie everyday on my cruise)

Is there some food that you can only eat half these days?

On your cruise is there something that you endulge in that you don't at home
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Admiral

I've yet to go to a college reunion but I have been to several HS reunions .More amazing that the prices of foods is how everyone changed. I wonder if any of your professors will be there .
I am in e-mail contact with my 2 favorite professors .Both were nearly my age when teaching at the college I graduated from.
Old August 18th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I am not a big eater,and almost always leave something on my plate. Buffets clap when I arrive!! lol

What I do indulge in onboard is, Creme Brule......be still my heart!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 18th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Venice may remember a popular sandwich in the Hudson Valley is the simple pepperoni sub. Just sliced pepperoni (not that pre-sliced Hormel crap), marinara sauce, and spooned on a hard roll of some sort. No cheese. There was a place in Hudson, NY, called Rocky's. They had the best pepperoni and served it in hollowed out loaves of Italian bread standing up on the plate to keep the sauce inside. One sandwich was half a loaf filled with about 16 ounces of sauce and pepperoni. I think it was $2.50. I could eat two of them without breathing hard when I was a teenager.

Of course, you can't find Rocky's in Huntsville, AL, so I've been making my own for ages. These days, at 57, I can only eat one sandwich and it is on a small hoagie bun like those you see in the bread aisle. I'll make a pot of pepperoni and sauce and end up freezing 80% of it. Certainly it is not a healthy sandwich, so it is best that I can't devour a huge amount anymore.

Pizza is another thing. When I was young we'd go out and it was pretty much one regular pizza per person...a 12 to 14 inch pie. Now days it is two slices and I'm done, maybe three if the pizza is on the small side.
Old August 18th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Admiral

I had my first slice of pizza at age 16 .One slice and a 10 oz . soda for 10 cents.
Old August 18th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Dave...yes I do...go north on route 22...west on route 23 to Hudson...loved the sauce soaking in the bread with the thick cuts of pepperoni..Rocky's was my fuel stop on the way to Syracuse

Can't stand for what passes as pepperoni these days...now I am a fan of andouille sausage in my scramble eggs with green peppers on flat bread goes great with a hurricane drink on Sunday brunch..side dish shrimp and grits
Old August 18th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Admiral

I've become a fan of andouille, as well as Portuguese sausages. It is hard to find good pepperoni anymore. I like hot soppressata too but it doesn't translate well to being used like pepperoni, at least to my tastes.

There was a very strange man in Hudson named Johnny Ware back in the 60s. He's gone now. He ran a juke joint that opened late at night - I think it was 9 or 10 pm - and he closed around 3 am. It was just him, serving pepperoni sandwiches and other things based off of his amazing homemade sauce. He cooked it at home and brought it to his dive when he came in to open it. Cars would be parked all over the place waiting for him to arrive. He was a rock star, in a pork pie hat and overcoat, walking down the street with a pot of sauce in his hands as he headed to his place. His pepperoni rivaled Rocky's, but the quirkiness was hard to deal with. Who wants to deal with sitting on a street at 10pm waiting to get a sandwich?
Old August 18th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Admiral

The only juke joint I knew in Hudson was the Harlem Inn...lots of fights and gunfire but great music
Old August 19th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Default Hudson

My wife spent many summers in Hudson when she was a kid . One of her cousins was the Mayor of Hudson .
Old August 19th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Let's see: In 1975 I was making, above minimum wage, $2.25/hour. A gallon of gas was .42/gallon and I could get "bean tacos" at Taco Johns for .25. I bought those because they were less expensive than the .60 regular tacos. They had re-fried beans in them instead of meat. I think it was around that time that McDonald's had the "Two hamburgers, french fries and a Coke with change back from your dollar." promotion.

My Mom was making around $65,000 at that time and we were fairly "well off".

Yep: Things were cheaper then but we also made a heck of a lot less than we do now. It's inflation.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Admiral

A 45 record was 99 cents and an album was $3.99...a really good home sound system from RCA was $150...funny thing is they were built to last and I still have all of the items

Now a carvon the other hand was only built to last 3 years
Old August 19th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I think it was around that time that McDonald's had the "Two hamburgers, french fries and a Coke with change back from your dollar." promotion.
Then they reworked that commercial a couple years later to make it one hamburger, fries, and a soda with change back from the dollar. And of course then said the heck with it.
Old August 19th, 2013, 06:06 PM
First Mate

I think I've go a couple of years on most of you guys, so you may not recall this.

I grew up in upstate New York also. A little further North and West than the Hudson Vally area. A little town West of Albany some 40 miles on the Mohawk River called Amsterdam.

Anyway, back in the late 50's and through the 60's there was a franchise called Mike's Submarines. They were out of Albany, but had stores in several cities, including Amsterdam. The subs were really good. Mike also branched out to a new store selling a roast beef sandwich called a Neba. Why Neba, I have no idea. I think a sub back then might have been around a buck; maybe a little more.

Like a lot of you, I could easily down 2 of them, although those occasions were few and far between, money being tight in those days. Now, again like a lot of you, a half a grinder, or sub, or hero is about all I can handle.

Mike's went out of business I think in the '70's, although I think the Neba may have been resurrected for awhile.

I don't know if Mike's ever made it that far down the Hudson Valley, but reading about those dives just reminded me.

...and then there was the legendary Brownies lunch in Amsterdam....hot dogs with a meat sauce that is the stuff of legend...alas, Brownies went away years ago, and with it the recipe for the sauce....among those of us who remember the dogs, the sauce has grown to almost mythic proportions...not sure I said that correctly, but you know what I mean....

...speaking of Syracuse and huge sandwiches, does anyone remember Danzer's?

Well, gotta go...getting hungry.....

Read and post cruise reviews

Last edited by Sid1962; August 19th, 2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old August 19th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Yes, we had 'Mike's GIANT Submarines' shops around. Hudson had one, with the Neba Roast Beef shop too. I think they were side-by-side counters. The subs were indeed good. Neba was the name of Mike's dog. As I recall it was real roast beef and not the Arby's kind of stuff. It was also a good sandwich.

There are places using both names still around but not the original.
Old August 19th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
Yes, we had 'Mike's GIANT Submarines' shops around. Hudson had one, with the Neba Roast Beef shop too. I think they were side-by-side counters. The subs were indeed good. Neba was the name of Mike's dog. As I recall it was real roast beef and not the Arby's kind of stuff. It was also a good sandwich.

There are places using both names still around but not the original.
I remember when Arby's used real roasts for their roast beef and had the rotisserie on display. Then they went to the preservative laced, sodium laden, flavorless, stuff they now use.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 19th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Admiral

I'd forgotten that Arby's used to be good. Their regular 'roast beef' sandwich has 970 mg of sodium, but people buying their 'market fresh' sandwiches thinking they are eating healthier are getting around 2000 mg!
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Admiral

What we call subs are not very popular in the deep south..Po-Boys is the sub of choice and they are soooooooooo good

When I go grocery shopping at WalMart these days....I boycott the deli,frozen food, canned goods, chips and beer aisles...spend more $$$ and come out with less stuff...Sodium is our common enemy

Howvever, I will treat myself to my 40th anniversary foot long sub...I deserve that treat