Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: who would be the worst person to sit next to on an airplane?
Crying Baby. Parent can't make them stop. 1 5.00%
Person with bad body odor. 5 25.00%
Person with a bad cold. 7 35.00%
Person with open sores 0 0%
Stranger that wants to tell you their personal family problems. 2 10.00%
Unruly Toddler. The parents don't care. 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:20 AM
Admiral

My brother is autistic and my parents won't take him on a plane. Because they don't know how he will react. My brother has hypersensitive hearing if a baby starts crying he would freak out. In such an enclosed space that would be an issue. However, my brother is severely autistic and now that I think about it I haven't seen a severely autistic person on a plane. My guess is the parents of a severely autistic person know better then to go on a plane. You probably won't notice a high function autistic person on a plane. Aside from the lack of eye contact they would appear pretty normal.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:00 AM
Admiral

The airlines and cruise companies are doing a much better job in reaching out to parents of autistic children to make travel more accessible..usually parents of mild or Aspergers children will work with the inflight crews to make the flight experience as comfortable as possible for both the family and other passengers...Carnival has as part of their Childrens program special trained counselors and programs...more of the travel public understands because it impacts them directly thru family,friends or co-workers

I have zero tolerance for grown passengers who do not have a disabilty, but are just plain arrogant buttheads when they fly...they feel that they are entitled because they have elite status in an airline's frequent flyer program..I was once on a friday 5pm shuttle flight from LAX to SFO full of elite flyers..one was upset that he was stuck in a middle coach seat and demanded that he be upgraded to 1st class (which was full)..he was so disruptive that he caused the flight to be delayed which resulted in an ATC delay of 45 minutes...everybody on the plane blamed the passenger and not the airline and started a petition to sue the passenger in 5E for cost to them for the delay...the case made it to the "People's Court" on tv
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:07 PM
First Mate

All of the poll options are bad! However, the worst incident (not flight, but just a few moments of he**) was on a trip back from Europe. I cannot seem to sleep on long-haul flights. I had just drifted off to sleep and the person (old enough to know better; either never flew before or just did not think) was finished with the tray table and slammed it back into place. Not just a slight jar, but the entire seat was roughly smacked. I have neck issues (two spine surgeries on the neck - however, this was before the surgeries). Needless to say, I was now awake and would be for the rest of the flight. The person did apologize (quietly, more to themselves than to me). I can handle a crying baby (hopefully not a long-haul flight) but the bad bo, or illness, or several other options would not fare well with me. Luckily, I have not had them happen. Did have a kid behind us that kicked my seat for most of the flight. Mom did little when told.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Haitian,
Sorry you got slammed. That may be a design issue more than a rudeness issue. Often it is difficult to get the tray stowed, especially if the seat is reclined.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:52 PM
First Mate

Seat was not reclined (I usually don't do that to the ones behind me) and the design was fine. All that needed to be done was push the tray up and flip the lever. No need to push anything, especially the slamming in place.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Venice, my brother has cruised. He has no problems on a cruise ship. It's not a tight enclosed space so if things get too noisey my mom or dad can take him back to the cabin. It would be interesting to see how the flight crew would handle my brother. But I agree with my parents decision not to go on an airplane with him. I have seen my brother in pure panic mode he could hurt someone with out meaning to. My brother is not violent at all. But if he sees a dog off leash, he will climb anything to get away from the dog including other people. Also if a baby is crying my brother will start shrieking and will be twice or three times louder then the baby that was crying. He just can't stand the noise. I'm sure either of those issues on a flight would be bad.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 3rd, 2013, 06:47 PM
Admiral

When possible, most major airlines have a special service desk, that will work with parents to identify flight options that will have less then 50% load factors on a widebody aircraft during midweek..the airlines also work closely with national organizations to help inflight crews be of assistance with the parents during inflight (part of ADA) including a special preboarding where the child visits the flight deck and meets the Captain...Airline employees have autitstic children who they travel with, so there is great empathy on their part, which is a great thing

Glad that your Brother can enjoy cruising with your family

It always amazes me how insensitive some folks are when travelling or cruising of others until it impacts them directly or indirectly thru family, friends and coworkers

Back to your original post and survey choices...it is pure misery for a married male to be stuck in a middle coach seat between 2 beautiful single French women on a New York to Paris overnight redeye flight
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Poor Venice that sounds awful. I'm sorry I forgot to add beautiful single women to the list for the poll. Sorry about that. Thanks for the information on the airlines. I had no clue they did all that.

Poll review: first place so far is someone with a cold. I agree with this. The other person will make your flight unpleasant but if you catch the cold then it could ruin your whole trip. Neck and neck are BO and unruly toddler, parents don't care. Unruly toddler is slightly ahead.

I'm also enjoying hearing your stories some interesting flights I'm glad I wasn't on. Dave Beers the flight attendent with the hook she uses to open the plastic was too funny. I was rolling off my chair.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Admiral

The longer the flight, the better the stories...I will be flying to Capetown South Africa next March and upon my return I will update this thread...I actually had the issue of sitting between 2 incredible beautiful ladies from Paris on the redeye..I am not married but was with my then GF, and we could not obtain seats together, so I gave her the aisle towards the front and volunter to sit in the back of the plane, near the rear lav in a center seat that did not recline..it was pure torture of a different kind..my GF made sure we had two seats together on our return flight

If you have family,friends or neighbors who work for an airline, check with them to see how their airline assist with special requests..some of the most compassionate folks in the world are airline employees
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Admiral

I was flying from Ontario, Ca. to San Juan Puerto Rico. It was a 5 1/2 hr. flight. From the time we taxied down the runway till the time we landed in San Juan the lady next to me coughed and blew her nose the whole way. She went through two packs of tissue and stuffed them all in the pocket on the back of the seat in front of her.
Old September 5th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
G- All of the above
Although I agree with you, it wasn't an option. Therefore, I selected body odor. I have a VERY STRONG gag reflex.
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Just a small point, but these days finding any flight--short haul, long haul or anyplace in between--that has a load factor of 50% or less is pretty much out of the question. As recently as three or four years ago it could be done fairly reliably midweek, but with schedule cutbacks, mergers and right-sizing of aircraft to save money, it's unusual to find a flight that's only half full.

I must also say that once in a while it's not so much the person next to you but the entire ambiance on the plane. A few years ago when we went to Egypt and Jordan, we found the long-haul flights on EgyptAir from Kennedy to be absolutely disgusting. Perfectly good 777s, but wow--lots of kids, lots of dirty diapers, lots of dirty diapers stuffed into seat pockets, an overall disregard for fellow passengers, aisles full of magazines and newspapers, kids running rampant with no parental concern at all, and no hope of redress because it was happening all over the plane. It was the norm.

Once we landed in Egypt, everything was fine (back before the troubles), but on the plane it was a different world, both going and coming home.
Old September 6th, 2013, 03:07 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuki View Post
Although I agree with you, it wasn't an option. Therefore, I selected body odor. I have a VERY STRONG gag reflex.
All of the above makes it two easy on you guys.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 6th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
Just a small point, but these days finding any flight--short haul, long haul or anyplace in between--that has a load factor of 50% or less is pretty much out of the question. As recently as three or four years ago it could be done fairly reliably midweek, but with schedule cutbacks, mergers and right-sizing of aircraft to save money, it's unusual to find a flight that's only half full.

I must also say that once in a while it's not so much the person next to you but the entire ambiance on the plane. A few years ago when we went to Egypt and Jordan, we found the long-haul flights on EgyptAir from Kennedy to be absolutely disgusting. Perfectly good 777s, but wow--lots of kids, lots of dirty diapers, lots of dirty diapers stuffed into seat pockets, an overall disregard for fellow passengers, aisles full of magazines and newspapers, kids running rampant with no parental concern at all, and no hope of redress because it was happening all over the plane. It was the norm.

Once we landed in Egypt, everything was fine (back before the troubles), but on the plane it was a different world, both going and coming home.
Now that sounds like an experience. I'm glad I missed that flight. We had an Air India flight from Frankfurt Germany to LAX. It was a night flight so not a lot of kids and no issues like you describe so Indian culture better for flying then Egypt culture seems like. I even like Indian food so it was great for me. My hubby had to get the "American meal" wussy. I love spicy food. Or maybe it was the lack of children on board due to night flight made mine so pleasant.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 6th, 2013, 03:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
The longer the flight, the better the stories...I will be flying to Capetown South Africa next March and upon my return I will update this thread...I actually had the issue of sitting between 2 incredible beautiful ladies from Paris on the redeye..I am not married but was with my then GF, and we could not obtain seats together, so I gave her the aisle towards the front and volunter to sit in the back of the plane, near the rear lav in a center seat that did not recline..it was pure torture of a different kind..my GF made sure we had two seats together on our return flight

If you have family,friends or neighbors who work for an airline, check with them to see how their airline assist with special requests..some of the most compassionate folks in the world are airline employees
How long is the Capetown South Africa flight? I look forward to hearing your experience.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Admiral

From New Orleans to Capetown via Detroit and Amsterdam elasped time is 28 hours and 15 minutes...good news is my travel buddy is using her Delta miles to upgrade us to business class (so my seatmate stories may be better).....AR gave me great advise about photo safaris, so due to vacation time constraints, we decided to forgo it. and after the Capetown International Jazz Festival we will take the overnight train (sleeper car, business class) from Capetown to Johannesburg (26 hours) and fly home from JNB via ATL is 22 hrs 40 minutes

My friends from South Africa whom I met at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival have open their home to us during our visit, so we are very excited to experience a native (they are White and lived thru Aparthied) perspective... I have purchased several Louis Armstrong LP's as a house gift for them

I will miss my yearly Jazz Cruise to do this trip but it will be worth it
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
From New Orleans to Capetown via Detroit and Amsterdam elasped time is 28 hours and 15 minutes...good news is my travel buddy is using her Delta miles to upgrade us to business class (so my seatmate stories may be better).....AR gave me great advise about photo safaris, so due to vacation time constraints, we decided to forgo it. and after the Capetown International Jazz Festival we will take the overnight train (sleeper car, business class) from Capetown to Johannesburg (26 hours) and fly home from JNB via ATL is 22 hrs 40 minutes

My friends from South Africa whom I met at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival have open their home to us during our visit, so we are very excited to experience a native (they are White and lived thru Aparthied) perspective... I have purchased several Louis Armstrong LP's as a house gift for them

I will miss my yearly Jazz Cruise to do this trip but it will be worth it
Wow that will be some trip. You will even have stories to tell us about the worst person to sleep next to on a train. I heard a rumor Business class is nice. But they don't allow troublemakers like me in the nice section. However, I did use the business class bathroom one time. The flight attendant was very displeased. But the food cart was blocking the economy bathrooms and I'm too short to jump it. I wonder if your host will cook or take you out for traditional African food. That is one of the few ethnic cuisines I haven't tried. I love trying different cultures foods. Did you have to get any special vaccines before you travel? Like for Typhoid or Hepatitis?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 6th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Yes there is a medical checklist of what we need...my cardiologist (who is a huge jazz fan) has been nice enough to do some research with his counterparts in Capetown to make sure that my medical history will be available (on a "J" drive) in case of emergency and I am working with my health insurer and trip insurance carrier to make sure I am covered..interesting, for heart issues, South Africa has some of the best hospitals in the world

When they were in New Orleans, we threw them a 2nd Line Party and Crawfish Boil which they loved so I am confident they will reciprocate South African style..I love fresh seafood so I am certain I'll have plenty to choose from....I'm sure I will have some Capetown Gumbo

The love of New Orleans Jazz has proven to be the universal "welcome mat" in making friends all around the world for me...Hurricane Katrina only strengthen the connection..my friends are also intrigue about the connection between Nelson Mandela and Barrack Obama and the challenges they faced from the opposition...they are taking us to Robben (sp) Island where Mandela was imprisoned for over 20 years, so this trip is special ...we are also going to go to several "juke joints" (jazz clubs) which are really 1 room homes where owners have "rent parties" with food and live jazz..

I think it's always better when possible to stay with local folks when one travels instead of hotels...adds another dimension
Old September 6th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
From New Orleans to Capetown via Detroit and Amsterdam elasped time is 28 hours and 15 minutes...good news is my travel buddy is using her Delta miles to upgrade us to business class (so my seatmate stories may be better
That's a brutal routing, but being in the front of the bus will help a lot.

If you have time and need more music, there's a damn good weekend jazz brunch at the Winchester Mansions Hotel in Cape Town. Delightful outdoor courtyard, good food and good music.
Old September 6th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Admiral

AR...thanks for another great tip,..the outbound routing was driven by the fact that my friend lives in Detroit so I am actually picking her up (she can put in a full day at work)....stopping in Amsterdam for 4 hours breaks our trip up because I worry about blood clots (my cardiologist gave me a list of exercises to do on the plane every hour plus drinking lots of water)...coming home it's nonstop from JNB to ATL which is brutal but my internal body clock seems to do better in that direction...long distance flying is as much a test of one's mind as well as body
We are leaving on Monday evening arriving Tuesday evening and using Wednesday as our jet lag recovery day by going to the beach..Thursday our friends are going to give us the locals tour and Friday/Saturday is the Jazz Festival. (we will have VIP passes which will be great) and our train ride leaves Sunday morning arriving in JNB on Tuesday afternoon leaving for home early Thursday morning...per your suggestion look at the game lodge but the air cost and extra days precluded it
Like most Americans I have a certain "image" of South Africa based upon media perceptions..as an African American I have a very deep spiritual thirst...as a jazz fan I understand the connection between Congo Square in New Orleans and the music of South Africa...I really want to attend a Rugby match while we are there and make sure Morgan Freeman and Nelson Mandela are not one and the same
Old September 6th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Admiral

You'll have a great trip. Being up front on the planes really helps blood clot issues, because you can stretch your legs at will, and get up and walk around pretty much whenever you want to.

Here's the link to the brunch at Winchester Mansions. Turns out it's only on Sundays, but if you can make it I'm sure you'll like it. Nice photo of the courtyard on the page.

http://www.winchester.co.za/hotel_ca...tadt_jazz.aspx