Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Default Stayin' Alive!

To the chagrin of many and the possible delight of a few, I'm still plugging along, however at an ever decreasing pace. Ah well, I've more than earned my right to be old and decrepit. The years "on the job," my lineage, lifestyle, etc. have all bound together to finally come home and roost. But you shan't hear any choruses of "Oh poor me" from this quarter as I remain as happy as the proverbial clam and am enjoying, to a great degree, that I have found a wonderful nitch in my new Church.

I have long had an affinity for the elderly (because, as Susan so often reminds me, "I are one!"). While a physical wreck, I remain a "people person" and am now utilizing whatever talents I may possess in that regard to try and brighten the day for those less fortunate, especially the very senior among us. Although I can do little physical work I enjoy when the men of the Church roll out to help some disadvantaged senior spruce up their property and make repairs to the residence in which they live (which is often unbelievably abysmal). Kevin, the Pastor, says I have a marvelous way with people and have quite interesting stories to share. I think he doth spread the butter rather thickly but I do enjoy sitting, as I did a few weeks ago, alongside a bedridden 87 year old woman while the younger set sealed her metal roof, cut down years of overgrown shrubbery, put up a new ceiling throughout her residence, did electrical work, just to name a few things. We have within the church licensed carpenters, plumbers, roofers. electricians, you name it and they all give of their precious free time to help these folks. Of course it is of no expense at all to the recipient. As I was sitting next to the woman mentioned above talking with her, I noticed there were no lamps and only two capped wires dangling from the ceiling. I asked the lady what happened to the ceiling fixture and she only said that she was "afraid" of a fire since the house was so old. I pulled aside an electrician, told him the problem and he checked everything out. He said the wiring was getting old but still safe. I then gave my credit card to Kevin who was going to the local hardware store and asked him to pick up a nice ceiling fixture with minimal drop as the ceilings were so low. He returned with the perfect fixture and the electrician put it up for me. What a team we have and these elderly folks are so very appreciative of every little thing you do.

If you feel that you can't afford that upgrade to the house, a newer car, etc., try the above. You'll quickly realize how unbelievably blessed you really are. Anyone can give money but it is as, if not more, important, to get out there personally for such deserving folks. As the late Justin Wilson from Baton Rouge used to say, "I guarronteee" you'll come away with a wonderful song in your heart. I warn you though, it's addicting!

It goes without saying that mightly prayers go out to all of my beloved Cruisemates; especially those suffering illness, who are in pain, those grieving and of course, those in need.

Love all you guys and gals!

TDH
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:56 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Todd, it is so good to hear from you!!!!

As I am sure you are finding out, the older we get we have MORE to offer others. We may not be able to physically do what we used to, but emotionally, mentally and spiritually we have more to offer than when we were younger. Life experience makes us more able to not only sympathize but empathize and maybe even truly know what someone is going through because you have gone down that same path. I don't find it a surprise that you are one of those "people persons".....your whole life has made you what you are today; and for one I am so happy that you are still here kicking ass and taking names!

Continued prayers for you and your wonderful church and adopted family.
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:34 AM
First Mate

Todd,you will never know how much your words help me a lot today.<
Thanks very much have a nice day.
MTL
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Todd nice to hear from you.
Keep being you because your a real gem!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Captain

So good to hear from you. You might be a senior now but boy you have so much to offer all of us in advice from experience. Sounds like you have found a great church family to be involved with.
Wanted to let you know we just got back from a 5 day cruise out of Charleston, SC. While onboard we met some folks from Greenville. Very nice family of 5 on their first cruise. Unfortunatly I too am old and can't remember their names. I just know they were a lot of fun talking with. I also entered the NASCAR Trivia and finished 2nd! Not bad for an old gal! You take care and lots of LOVE to you.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 18th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Todd, sorry I missed you this morning, but I too was out keeping busy by volunteering! I was giving a tour to a busload of American tourists. I love meeting people from so many places, and sharing my love of the Hector Heritage Quay. You know what I notice about volunteering? When I'm busy I don't notice all my daily aches and pains, which are getting progressively worse. I guess I just have to keep on volunteering!

donna
Old September 18th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Todd,
It is always great seeing your posts...So good to hear you are doing alright....We all love hearing your stories and what you are up to....keep em coming.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 19th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Todd it was great to hear your wise "pearls of wisdom". Having a positive attitude with everything is the best way we can all "greet each day". One thing that I like about "Cruisemates" is that we all "route for each other". We might not, personally "know each other" but we do share the love and adventure of cruising which is an "unbreakable bond". Todd, keep your marvelous attitude; it will sustain you through "thick and thin".