Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Not Funny - but truly embarassing

Coca-Cola blames bilingualism for ?You Retard? message in bottle cap | canada.com

In Canada Coke tried a bilingual contest where they put an English and a French word together to send a message to customers, unfortunately, one of the combinations that came up was "You Retard."

I don't know about you - we used to say this all the time when I was a kid, but now I find it very offensive to make fun of people with disabilities, and I would never say this.

Now - Coke did not do this on purpose - but they did it - and it slipped by. OOps.

Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Captain

Curious... Was the word "Retard" capitalized when you quoted it? Or did you do that? I couldn't find a capitalized "retard" anywhere in the piece. In the photo its all caps.

"retard" means "late" in French (and is pronounced differently, with a short-sound "e" like ruh-tard), and the English slang word meaning is a derivative, implying late development.

"Tu es en retard"
and "Vous ętes en retard" both mean "You are late. or, You are delayed.- but there is a direct translation for delay - en délai"

Google Translate obviously is the culprit in this case. Read any good Chinese assembly instructions lately?
"Take shaft and insert tightly into orifice" "repeat at other end"

edited to add: Obviously the journalist doesn't speak French either... His definition of "retard" is flawed: He says "which means to slow or delay". He should have said 'which means A slowdown or delay', a definition only true for the noun form. "ętre en retard" (adjective form) in French simply means "to be late".

Why you should never follow a penguin underwater

Last edited by ship2shore; September 20th, 2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Coca-Cola blames bilingualism for ?You Retard? message in bottle cap | canada.com

In Canada Coke tried a bilingual contest where they put an English and a French word together to send a message to customers, unfortunately, one of the combinations that came up was "You Retard."

I don't know about you - we used to say this all the time when I was a kid, but now I find it very offensive to make fun of people with disabilities, and I would never say this.

Now - Coke did not do this on purpose - but they did it - and it slipped by. OOps.
The ALS systems on Airbus aircraft will make an audio message to the pilots upon landing. It is "Retard, Retard, Retard". This means to throttle back the engines. My pilot buddy hates flying any plane that insults him.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Captain

Airbus is made in France. I bet the audio message is pronounced properly. (soft "e" sound, like ruh-tard)

Old September 20th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
Airbus is made in France. I bet the audio message is pronounced properly. (soft "e" sound, like ruh-tard)
Yes it does have a French accent. I didn't "quote" what he said about being insulted upon landing because I didn't want to offend our French readership.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old September 20th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Wow, those are some pretty big OOPS....yes, I too remember being a kid and using that word all the time, but not to truly offend anyone.....was just being a kid.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 21st, 2013, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I saw that and was stunned that they could do such a thing. Knowing the story now made me feel better about the error.
As most of you know I worked for years with people with disabilities. Some of you even got to meet my Patty on the Glory cruise.
I realize that people toss that word around almost as much as they do the "F-bomb" I just wish they would realize the hurt they could be inflicting on an innocent person. Retarded does not mean stupid!
Now I will climb don from my soapbox and go away!

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 22nd, 2013, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Much ado about nothing.

Everybody who's ever had first year French knows the meaning of the word in that language, and for those who don't it has been exhaustively explained here.

The OP correctly points out that they didn't do it on purpose, to which I would add that in the context of the game they seemed to be playing, it's not really even a "mistake."

I think it's time for the PC police to take a donut break.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post

I think it's time for the PC police to take a donut break.
It certainly is.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old September 22nd, 2013, 09:38 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
The ALS systems on Airbus aircraft will make an audio message to the pilots upon landing. It is "Retard, Retard, Retard". This means to throttle back the engines. My pilot buddy hates flying any plane that insults him.

Take care,
Mike
Mike, correct me if Im wrong, but isn't the universal language of commercial aviation English? Why would your buddys plane talking to him in French? Or is it a bad English translation?

Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
Mike, correct me if Im wrong, but isn't the universal language of commercial aviation English? Why would your buddys plane talking to him in French? Or is it a bad English translation?
It is not speaking in French. It is using the word "retard" in the correct manner. Retard (slow down) the engines. However, the automated voice has a French accent.

Take care,
Mike

Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
It is not speaking in French. It is using the word "retard" in the correct manner. Retard (slow down) the engines. However, the automated voice has a French accent.

Take care,
Mike
Yup, it's not Franglaise or even Angfraise.

It's just what happens when a number of languages take words from the Latin root, in this case retardare.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:58 PM
Captain

Quote:

Take care,
Mike
That must sound truly weird. No wonder the Coneheads were from "France".

Old September 24th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Of course this brings up the very interesting question of how words like "retarded" came to be pariahs in the first place. Laura is absolutely right when she says that "retarded" does not mean "stupid." And if you don't believe that, just check the dictionary. When the French computer voice says to "retard the engines," he doesn't mean to make the engines stupid, he means that the pilots should throttle down to slow the engines, as Mike points out.

The core meaning of "retard" is "slow." As such, it was used for ages to describe without deprecation what we now use a million euphemisms to describe: some sort of dysfunction having to do with the mind. It was, from a linguistic point of view, a perfectly appropriate descriptor, although not particularly specific.

But there sure isn't anything specific about "challenged," a word that drives me nuts, because not only is it sugar-coated, it's not as on-point as "retarded" was. There are all sorts of challenges, many of them having nothing to do with the concept of "not up-to-speed."

Euphemisms have always been one of my pet linguistic peeves. I hate them, because they tend to water down both language and thought. I understand that they can be comforting (it's a lot less painful to say "I put my cat to sleep" than "I killed my cat"), but in the long run I've always thought it best to say what you mean.

I'm sure many a doctoral thesis has been written about this. And don't flame me. . .I don't use "retarded" to describe the mentally ill. I accede to the sensibilities of the commonweal, and I'm not interested in gratuitous insults.

But between our educational deficiencies as a nation and the imprecision caused by political correctness, our language is certainly becoming weaker.