CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Eggs (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/398961-eggs.html)

Queen of Oakville September 23rd, 2013 04:41 PM

Eggs

I've read posts lately suggesting that the scrambled eggs on cruiseships are reconstituted from powder. Is this rumour or fact? I read someone say that the like breakfast at the windjammer because they get real scrambled eggs from the omelet station. [I don't actually eat eggs myself, so have no idea what they taste like!]

DH swears on our last cruise he heard someone order scrambled eggs made with fresh eggs.

Is there a charge for this in the MDR?

I also just learned that on Oasis and Allure you can eat for free at Johnny Rockets. Do they use real eggs there? What about Park Café?

Mike M September 23rd, 2013 05:28 PM

They use "carton" eggs. They are real eggs but blended, pasteurized and packaged in a carton.

You can get "real eggs" at some omelette stations but the omelettes on Carnival and Royal Caribbean are made from the cartons.

Take care,
Mike

Bruce Chafkin1 September 23rd, 2013 05:37 PM

The US Public Health Service does not like fresh eggs They claim that the egg shells cannot be cleaned properly in order to prevent salmonella poisoning. The USPH also insists that fresh eggs must be stored refrigerated (always below 41 degrees F) to avoid spoilage.

In most cases, fresh eggs must be stored apart from other protein items causing storage challenges.

Strangely, most countries on Earth do not even bother to refrigerate fresh eggs and do not seem to have any problems with that - or with salmonella poisoning from fresh eggs.

However, since ships are forced to store them refrigerated, this creates storage challenges.

Too avoid possible salmonella problems, substituting pre-shelled and pasteurized eggs makes the USPH people very happy, resulting in higher USPH inspection scores - which makes Cruisecritics happy.

These pasteurized eggs are also stored frozen, which is easier - and they can be legally stored with other food items.

Most cruise lines use the frozen pasteurized eggs for baking and for scrambled eggs. Fresh eggs are still used in many cases for omelets - unless the ship happens to be in a US port and expects to be inspected by USPH. Then the fresh eggs disappear, and the frozen ones come out.

Queen of Oakville September 24th, 2013 02:25 PM

very interesting .... thanks for the replies!

Manuel September 24th, 2013 02:58 PM

I have seen fresh eggs being used for omelets in a few ships.

TM

Snoozeman September 24th, 2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel (Post 1485381)
I have seen fresh eggs being used for omelets in a few ships.

TM

I haven't seen that in a few years. They dip a ladle into a liquid mixture.
If you order fried eggs, then yes, but I believe they have stopped doing that at the omelette stations. I try to get fresh eggs in the MDR.

Good info as usual Bruce!

Queen of Oakville September 25th, 2013 10:36 AM

so they must have fresh eggs on board, for those who order a fried egg.

Mike M September 25th, 2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville (Post 1485431)

Yes: At some of the omelette stations and if you order, poached or fried eggs in the MDR.

Take care,
Mike

Snoozeman September 25th, 2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville (Post 1485431)

They must as I order them quite often in MDR.

I assume that they also use them for Eggs Benedict, but wouldn't be surprised if they had a 'system' for those.

ship2shore September 25th, 2013 12:53 PM

I hear they will be using THESE eggs next month::shock:

http://www.stellarforces.com/images/alien-egg.jpg

katlady September 25th, 2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 (Post 1485311)
The US Public Health Service does not like fresh eggs They claim that the egg shells cannot be cleaned properly in order to prevent salmonella poisoning. The USPH also insists that fresh eggs must be stored refrigerated (always below 41 degrees F) to avoid spoilage.

In most cases, fresh eggs must be stored apart from other protein items causing storage challenges.

Strangely, most countries on Earth do not even bother to refrigerate fresh eggs and do not seem to have any problems with that - or with salmonella poisoning from fresh eggs.

However, since ships are forced to store them refrigerated, this creates storage challenges.

Too avoid possible salmonella problems, substituting pre-shelled and pasteurized eggs makes the USPH people very happy, resulting in higher USPH inspection scores - which makes Cruisecritics happy.

These pasteurized eggs are also stored frozen, which is easier - and they can be legally stored with other food items.

Most cruise lines use the frozen pasteurized eggs for baking and for scrambled eggs. Fresh eggs are still used in many cases for omelets - unless the ship happens to be in a US port and expects to be inspected by USPH. Then the fresh eggs disappear, and the frozen ones come out.

I had no clue about this. Very interesting information thanks for sharing. :D

Donna September 25th, 2013 03:14 PM

I actually like the eggs, scrambled, as long as they are cooked enough. Hate soupy kind of scrambled eggs...

Queen of Oakville September 26th, 2013 10:08 AM

lol ShiptoShore ....maybe that is why I don't eat eggs!

venice September 26th, 2013 11:50 AM

Never thought much about eggs on a cruise until I read this thread...on my cruise, I am an early riser, do my cardio workout and hit the lido breakfast buffet. at 0730 and love mixing scramble eggs with the potatoes mixed with onions,peppers and mushroom and turkey sausage with 2 strips of bacon on full days at sea...on port days I hit the omlette station and let the chef select what goes in it

The other 51 weeks a year at home I have a banana, Greek Yogurt, whole wheat toast and cranberry juice

I look forward to having eggs on my cruise