Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2013, 01:02 AM
Admiral

Default Key West Showdown

Interesting article in the Washington Post about the fight to widen the shipping channel into Key West

Shipping channel is hard gap to overcome in Key West, Fla. - The Washington Post

We began visiting Key West in the 80s, not on ships, but on the occasional long weekend break where we could zoom in, check into a resort, and have a nice, relaxing time.

Later, we arrived on ships a couple times, and saw the transformation described in the article, as it became a vile, craven pit full of sweaty, stumbling, drunken party cruisers and equally vile shop windows full of shirts and other trinkets of the kinds described in the article.

And now they want to up the ante by killing off marine life to accommodate the mega-ships and double down on the frenzy in this once-hospitable and charming little town.

It was nice knowing you, Key West. I'm so sorry.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Your right Key West is not the Key West of the past and that's really too bad. My brother use to go every year back in the 80's and stopped going in about 2000 just because of the party people it started to draw and the loss of charm, long gone is the quaint little place many loved. I've been there 3 times over the last 20 years and on my last trip there in 2011 it didn't have the same vibe.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I don't have a problem with a city wanting to limit cruise ships - it is their choice. Key West is a small place and during the day it can be a zoo.

BUT - I have to say that most cruisers arrive during the day, and a very small number of them get drunk there (because it is daytime), and most of the stay in the downtown area, not going much farther than Hemingway's house.

To be sure the people who want to ban larger ships are the people who gain NO benefit from tourism. So, AR, just because you used to visit when it was smaller, don't think you were any more welcome then than you would be now. You don't live there.

Key West is not banning cruise ships or tourists, just the BIG cruise ships, and I think it makes sense. Its a small town and the sidewalks DO get jampacked. However, when it comes to drunkenness, etc, I am sure most of that happens when the cruise ships leave.

But Key West does benefit from the cruise industry. I highly doubt Key West would want to stop cruise ships from visiting all together.

If you want to see a town with a cruise "problem" look at Charlestown SC. They have a cruise ship that uses it for a port city, so they have traffic tie ups and parking congestion, yet few of the cruisers spend any money there, except for gas to leave when the cruise is over. (most drive in).

Its beautiful city - great for day stopover, but very few ships visit for a day.

Old October 2nd, 2013, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I don't have a problem with a city wanting to limit cruise ships - it is their choice. Key West is a small place and during the day it can be a zoo.

BUT - I have to say that most cruisers arrive during the day, and a very small number of them get drunk there (because it is daytime), and most of the stay in the downtown area, not going much farther than Hemingway's house.

To be sure the people who want to ban larger ships are the people who gain NO benefit from tourism. So, AR, just because you used to visit when it was smaller, don't think you were any more welcome then than you would be now. You don't live there.

Key West is not banning cruise ships or tourists, just the BIG cruise ships, and I think it makes sense. Its a small town and the sidewalks DO get jampacked. However, when it comes to drunkenness, etc, I am sure most of that happens when the cruise ships leave.

But Key West does benefit from the cruise industry. I highly doubt Key West would want to stop cruise ships from visiting all together.

If you want to see a town with a cruise "problem" look at Charlestown SC. They have a cruise ship that uses it for a port city, so they have traffic tie ups and parking congestion, yet few of the cruisers spend any money there, except for gas to leave when the cruise is over. (most drive in).

Its beautiful city - great for day stopover, but very few ships visit for a day.
Well, I haven't seen a followup to the article, and I don't know whether you read it, but it says that the question of banning the HUGE ships is very much on the table and not a settled issue. Of course they'll never ban ships altogether, that's quite clear.

As to crowds: there's no question in my mind that they are at their limit in terms of their ability to handle them reasonably. As to drunkenness: you must have been there on different days than I. On two cruise stops--one late in the last century and one early in this one--they were stumbling through the streets in great numbers--during the day--sloshing the booze from long plastic glasses that looked like they held a pint or more. On one occasion a couple sweet young things who missed the ship were ferried out on the pilot boat. It was very entertaining watching them try to come aboard.

Anyway, as I said, I'm sorry for the pleasant little town it used to be. It's unlikely we'll be making any more cruise stops there, because we've basically sworn off the Caribbean runs. It was ten years ago this month that we took our last one. There are far more interesting places in the world, as you and I have discussed.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:01 AM
Admiral

Much of the travel programming I have seen on Key West lately emphasizes the party image; Fantasy Fest, Margaritas made with an outboard motor, the carnival like atmosphere at sunset, going to Sloppy Joes was big for Spring Breakers even when I was in college. I think a sleepy little town began to promote tourism the wrong way and can't tame the beast.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old October 3rd, 2013, 08:14 AM
Admiral

I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to invest so much money to prepare for the huge ships. I can just imagine the mob there if they allow this. It can be crowded as it is.
Old October 4th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Just imagine if the Oasis arrived Saturday and the Allure arrived on Sunday! There would not be an inch to spare.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator