Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinK n J View Post
Ken, I never talk about politics here. There's a special site for it. Apparently, lots of people are turned off by politics. Why can't they just ignore it and come chat?

Judy

Politics are similar to making sausages. The less you know about those things the better.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 13th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Admiral

The site has changed (no more chats with industry insiders for example), people have changed (many more personnel attacks), and less information available than in past. I still peruse many of the boards but tend to shy away from posting because it just draws personal attacks.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old October 13th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I agree with all, that things have changed. The board changed. The board changed hands, and we don't hear from the new owners.

We also use to talk about group cruises, and that seems to be gone.

But I have to say something about the talk of politics. Before, politics was an event that happened once every four years, that may or may not have effected all of us, but other than that time, it was business as usual.

This time for us, it never went away. We as a family despise politics. It is never good for the military family to get involved, so it just didn't play that big apart in our lives.

Now it seems it is something new everyday. For example, I woke up Thursday morning with a phone call telling me that not only had we lost another soldier, but the Gov was refusing to pay for the family to bury him. That wasn't anything but politics. What was I to do? I wanted to tell my friends on here, but it was political. I couldn't tell anyone on the "debate" forum, because over there, attacks are expected, and it really wasn't the day to be attacked.

Ladies and Gentlemen, We might not like it, but politics have entered all of our lives.

If you receive Social Security, retirement, have sick relatives, elderly parents you are taking care of, you are effected.

Instead of pretending that these problems are not here, we could share, and try to learn from it. I certainly don't mean an extension of the debate board. I know that most of you have been there to read, because the traffic count is high. You have noticed that most threads start off by insults to one or more groups. This is just grown up bullying.

One morning, before I came here, I checked my e-mails that had come in. Not one, but six of them were comments about something that was posted on the debate thread. These were people you were long time posters, who felt better about telling me, than getting attacked on the boards.

Kind of sad, don't you think?

This is not my board, nor do I have the right to tell anyone how to run it, but if someone is serious about keeping it going, then someone needs to do something.

The most likely thing to do is going back to no politics, and no religion, and that would make it easier for me, because I could give a run down of the Texas weather for the next 3 years, and see you all then.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 13th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have an idea for all who have posted here...If each of you would start a thread, in a forum that interests you, or, just any interesting topic, relating to the cruise world, I bet we would get some intersting threads going. Up for a challenge? If so, let's see how many people respond...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 13th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I have an idea for all who have posted here...If each of you would start a thread, in a forum that interests you, or, just any interesting topic, relating to the cruise world, I bet we would get some intersting threads going. Up for a challenge? If so, let's see how many people respond...
Trip, I started this thread and so so far we have had quite a few responses.

So I agree with you that if more threads are started it will attract more people.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old October 14th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Admiral

Good job, Manuel--you got something started--that's good !

I sneaked in the back door here in Sept 2000. So, that's been 13 years ago. I've seen a lot of people come and go over those 13 years. I don't post that much, I believe somewhere over 2, 000 posts in that time-- I determined long ago I didn't have a lot of anything that was interesting to post on and too, if you gave a straight, honest answer, you ran the risk of making someone mad because they didn't get the answer they wanted ! Having been on 45 cruises, give or take a couple, and on many other vacations, I pretty much know how to fend for myself, not that I know everything, so I just basically visit and scan for anything I consider worth reading and go on.
I have noticed the drop off in postings but never mentioned it. I miss Ray's postings with his photo quizzes and pictures--that was always fun, although many simply googled the answers.
One reason people don't post as much is, (just my opinions, which doesn't matter to anyone but me,) a lot of people deal directly with the cruise lines and get all the info they ask for from them directly ( whether it's all factual is another story ) another is --how many times do you have to tell people when is hurricane season--how many times do you have to tell people what happens if a storm comes while you're on a cruise-- how many times do you have to remind people they are on a ship--it floats--if it didn't , it would sink--therefore it moves, and regardless of where the cabin may be, if the waters rough, the ship will ride rough-- how many times can you tell people how to dress--that always opens a can of worms and debate that no one wins--same thing about smoking-- -how many times do you read where people are asking for advice on smuggling alcohol aboard ( always just for a drink in their room---right .) and how many times do you see people within minutes telling them the latest and best ways to smuggle it on? How many times do you have to answer whether or not to wear jeans in the dining room--that's another barrel of fishhooks to which there's no answer, and etc.
How many times do you see people asking how to get aboard early and how to get an upgrade?
To some, these are legitimate questions but to the majority of people, it's old hat, so to speak.
And without seeming too blah, how many really care that Mr. A has 3 cruises booked for the next 4 years-- or whether Mr B winters in Morocco or somewhere and has money to cruise all the time?
I think all these have been pretty much hashed out and as the old saying goes, no need to beat a dead horse.
Please don't get me wrong--I love to cruise--am going on Carnival and then a few weeks later on RCCL.
I do honestly think this is by far the best board out there in cyber world with regards to cruise info and wish it the best.
It has, to an extent, and whether or not anyone else has noticed this or not, become sort of a " click " of regular people who use it as a social media thing more so than cruising, and I honestly don't mean that in a mean spirited way--just an honest observation.
As far as I go, the very, very few times I have asked a question personally to the " upper crust " of the board, I have not received replies from one in 13 years, one was referred to another member, from which I did get an answer and once or twice the answer I got from one was pretty short-- so, if and when I have a question about something, I ask Trip, although I don't know her from Adam, she has always been very helpful and pleasant. So, all in all, different and more methods of social communication, probably somewhat less people cruising right now due to the economy, more people dealing directly with the cruise lines and getting info from them, and maybe some have just cruised out is , in my opinion, part of the problem .
I wish everyone smooth sailing, many cruises and no stormy weather!
Old October 14th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinK n J View Post
I don't think it's either of the things you suggest, Manuel. I think they've all drifted to FaceBook and other techie places. It's really a shame.

Judy
I agree about Facebook. I'm on a roll call "over there", but after a brief introduction, the classic return post invites me to chat on Facebook.
Over "there" there are many questions, but most are ridiculous. Same questions 1-2 times a day, like "when can I board, or why did they change my cabin, or do you have a picture of cabin whatever, or yesterday the topic is what movies are being shown on a cruise 2 months from now etc. Gee, talk about non essential things. It's busy over "there" but boring as Hell.
I like this site, it's quite civil, but the topics lately are political and don't read them, then there's many sneaking in those sales pitches, again don't even open them.
I think I like the search for a cruisemate, yet many are 1 time posters and if they don't get an answer in an hour, that's the last you hear from them, then a year down the road someone answers
Old October 14th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Another silly question is someone asking if they get certain television programming in the rooms. Really? You go on a cruise to watch tv?

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 14th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Admiral

Exactly the types of the points I was trying to make in my post Laura--
and another favorite and a common gripe is about--of all things on a cruise ---ICE CREAM---does this line have it, does that line have it--is it free-- I went to get some and it was all out-- etc. I can cruise without a book to read, a movie to watch,an ice cream cone, etc--I can do all that at home!
Hopefully things will pick back up here and we can get A.R. to debating someone over how to dress, smoke or not to smoke, etc., etc.
Old October 15th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Hopefully things will pick back up here and we can get A.R. to debating someone over how to dress, smoke or not to smoke, etc., etc.
HA! That'll be the day!

"SKY"
Old October 15th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I think Trip has hit the nail on the head. The political "stuff" is in one forum and there are about 50 more forums dealing with cruising. If people would start a topic in their favorite cruise forum it would pick up.

It is very easy to ignore the political postings. Just don't read them.

I have to disagree on the TV or Ice Cream questions. Those of us who are long time cruisers have seen the questions many times but to those who are new to cruising and want to know all about it, these questions are relevant and information they want to know. I think a lot of us need to remember that "First Cruise Feeling" and how excited we were about our upcoming cruise. Use your knowledge and help out the newbies.

Heck: There are times on a cruise where I love to just kick back and watch a movie or certain shows on TV. I'm not a lay by the pool with a book person so that doesn't interest me and the idea of all the ice cream I can eat is pretty neat in theory. In reality it may not be such a good idea.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 15th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Captain

As a person who has indulged in more ice cream than humanly possible while on a cruise... it is a very neat reality.

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old October 15th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Admiral

I indulge in the yogurt swirl ice cream cone dispenser on the lido deck of the Carnival Freedom by the bar at least 6X per day
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Admiral

More cruisers need to post either starting a cruise thread or replying to one.

Maybe Trip can assign homework to everyone that posted on this thread....Reply to at least 20 cruise posts each week...
I replied to a few cruise posts today so I'm good for today

As for politics it's tucked away in a small section if politics is your thing then go there and post and read away. If politics is not your thing then just stay away and don't click.

Silly questions?? IMO there are no silly questions...If you want to eat ice cream all day, watch tv in the cabin, read by the pool all day or dance for hours it's your cruise go and enjoy!!!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

As is the nature of message boards, new people come, and people go... so reposting a popular thread that may have subject matter one could consider, been there, done that, is interesting news, to someone new popping in...

As CQ, said,no question is silly,and sharing the good, the bad, and the ugly is what we all do...

For Cruise Queen, I suggest for her homework, to rate the ships for dancing. This a place where I know she excels

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 15th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Admiral

I have to agree that no question is silly. If it's important to you go ahead and ask.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old October 20th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Because threads nowadays were just uninteresting and everyone were just waiting for someone to start a new good topic for everyone to swarm it with interesting posts.
Old October 20th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Admiral

I signed on today on a whim and I discovered this thread. I am one of those who drifted away for quite awhile. I had a life-changing circumstance, most of you know about it, and I jumped full on into what I had to do to make the change. This site also helped me to connect with new friends who helped in many ways. I failed to return that help and I am ashamed that I have not helped as I should have. I shall endeavor to sign on each day and help as I can. However..... I CRUISE IN 15 DAYS!!!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.