Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Forgot My Password?

You know, I have been doing this for over a decade now, and I can;t believe how many people email me and just say "I forgot my username and password - help me."

?????

I usually do help them, but it really makes me wonder how many people even think about their own security. I know all of my passwords and almost never have to use a password reminder, and if I do need on, I use the online tool.

I get it that some people just don't know how critical password management is - but when people write me I don't know if they are who they say they are... so the only time I help is when their username matches their email address.

But it is starting to really bug me that so many ask this so casually. I am beginning to think this could be a great way to get passwords for spouses, etc. (for spying)
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Familiar Face

The problem is that passwords now have to be a complicated code containing at least one number, one lowercase and one capital letter, one special symbol and be a min of 8 characters without spelling anything meaningful. Just about everything requires a password, you're never to use the same password twice, and passwords periodically must be changed without reuse. That's a lot of sequences of random numbers, letters and special characters that must be remembered, never written down. I think it's a bit silly, this exaggerated pretense of security and privacy, especially when everything on the internet can be seen by someone else. Far easier to treat everything online as public and write accordingly. This way the spouse spying on you would find nothing. Although if a spouse if fishing for passwords, you have bigger problems.
Old October 20th, 2013, 12:22 AM
Welcome Newcomer

The reason why I forgot my passwords is because of platforms asking me to make some passwords on their preference for security. Yes the security is good, but it tends to make us forget because we've made it not because we want it that way but because it's a requirement - something easy to forget.