Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Default Do you "Karaoke", and if so, what's your favorite song?

As many of you know, I am a singer, (male vocalist for the "Lakeland Concert Band"), and I truly love to sing, and entertain. Just wondering how many of you go to karaoke, and how many participate in the "Talent Shows", or perhaps the "Carnival Legends Show"? If you do sing, what's your favorite song to perform, or even listen to? I love singing "Big Band" music, and lately one of my favorites to do is "I Had The Craziest Dream", done in 1942 by "Harry James" and his orchestra, with vocals by "Helen Forrest". GREAT SONG! What's your favorite?

"SKY"
Ken
Old October 19th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Admiral

So Sky...will we have the pleasure of hearing you sing on America's Got Talent in the near future...I love watching the old movies featuring big bands from the 30's and 40's with the great female vocalists (Sarah Vaughn, Lena Horne etc.)

Karaoke is one of the most well attended activities on our smooth jazz cruise every year...the "pot is sweeten" by the fact that several guests perform songs of the artists that are actually on the ship and in hope that they will join them....it's also alot more fun when instead of the taped back up music, the Grammy nominated jazz musicians are your back up

My two favorite songs that I love, but would never have the nerve to perform at the karaoke event (it's like the Gong Show on steroids, if you are good they love you, if you are not, better hide out for the rest of the cruise) are "Cruisin" by Smokey Robinson and "What Becomes of a Broken Heart" by David Ruffin (Temptations)

Jeffrey Osborne loves to perform his "Can You Woo-Woo-Woo" song on our cruise on
the lido deck and mingles in the crowd and has them "Woo-Woo"...that is the ultimate karaoke experience

Great topic for a post my friend
Old October 19th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Excellent Venice! I'm gonna have to join you on one of those "smooth jazz" cruises! Another activity that I enjoy aboard Carnival ships, is the "Superstar Karaoke". There, the live band does the back up, so it's far more realistic. I LOVE singing "Mustang Sally" at that event! Gets the audience involved too! "Cruisin" is a GREAT song too, and I'll have to look next time to see if they can do the back-up to that one.

"SKY"
Old October 20th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Admiral

I enjoy karaoke myself. Funny, I was such an introvert as a kid and as a young man. Even though I took speech classes in high school to learn to stand up in front of people to speak and participated in debate teams, I was still overwhelmed in public. I became involved in public service which trust me in the limelight at times and I became comfortable with speaking and even singing. So now....

I enjoy singing "Sweet Caroline" and any Neil Diamond song. I also do "Your Song" by Elton John, "Happy Together" by the Turtles, "Free Bird" by Lynrd Skynyrd, and any Doors music. All of these artists hit my vocal range easily.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 20th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Great thread!
Since my upcoming cruise is my celebratory 50th b-dy cruise it requires me to get up and do karaoke . My two cabin mates and I have a little pact, we will celebrate each of our 50th by doing a cruise and the birthday girl has to do karaoke. Well my time is here ,the ship leaves Dec 7th. I can't carry a tune in a bucket so I'm freaking out about doing this, I'm a chicken but I really want to do it .....it's on my bucket list.
What are the easiest ones to do for someone like me? My one friend is a singer and the other sounded pretty darn good singing Let it Be by the Beetles but for me ....I don't know.

Michael ....I like your choice of music....love Feebird!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old October 20th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
Great thread!

What are the easiest ones to do for someone like me? My one friend is a singer and the other sounded pretty darn good singing Let it Be by the Beetles but for me ....I don't know.

Michael ....I like your choice of music....love Feebird!
IMO, one of the easier to sing, but FANTASTIC songs for a woman to sing, is the Peggy Lee song, "I AM WOMAN". It's mostly spoken, and is POWERFUL, AND FUN! If you're not familiar with it, go to You Tube, and listen to it.

"SKY"
Old October 20th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
IMO, one of the easier to sing, but FANTASTIC songs for a woman to sing, is the Peggy Lee song, "I AM WOMAN". It's mostly spoken, and is POWERFUL, AND FUN! If you're not familiar with it, go to You Tube, and listen to it.

"SKY"
I do know it and in fact my girls from the movie Sex and the City sang that one at karaoke .
Maybe I'll print the words and practice .

Or maybe some liquid courage

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old October 20th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Admiral

" Wild Thing" by the Troggs..that way your GF's can give you support while you are onstage and the audience can join in...it's more of a spoken word (in a sense) then singing

Happy birthday in advance
Old October 20th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Robin, a little lubrication of the vocal cords with an adult beverage makes the shyness go away... You could do a song by Bonnie Raitt "Something to Talk About."

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 20th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Just remember with modern technology on cell phones you could be on YouTube and go viral in a week ....or get a recording contract
Old October 20th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Admiral

[QUOTE=venice;1487409
Happy birthday in advance[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I know Carnival has a book with what songs they offer so we'll see.

Thanks for the b-day wish. I actually turned 50 in August but didn't want to cruise then so I'll re-celebrate it again only this time for a week!

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old October 20th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the suggestion Michael, I like that song.

Venice....I'll break their legs if they do that

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old October 20th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Love this topic! I also love to sing, and have been in the Legends show twice. I was Madonna on the Spirit, and Gloria Estefan on the Pride. What a blast! My favorite karaoke songs are Pat Benetar's "Hit Me with Your Best Shot" and almost anything by Martina McBride, but especially "This One's for the Girls" and "In My Daughter's Eyes".
Old October 20th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Have a horrible singing voice so no Karaoke for me!! However did do Karaoke once with my Mini Me we sang "Beautiful Day" by U2.

I do however sing in the car while driving and also at work when my coworkers are not around

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old October 21st, 2013, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourxbusymom View Post
Love this topic! I also love to sing, and have been in the Legends show twice. I was Madonna on the Spirit, and Gloria Estefan on the Pride. What a blast! My favorite karaoke songs are Pat Benetar's "Hit Me with Your Best Shot" and almost anything by Martina McBride, but especially "This One's for the Girls" and "In My Daughter's Eyes".
Congrats on being in the "Legends Show". GREAT fun, and something you don't get to do every day. It also gives you a fantastic look into the "behind the scenes" of the ships production shows.
I've been "Frank Sinatra" four or five times, and "Elvis" three or four times as well. Once, after the "meet & greet" after the show in the atrium, when I was "Elvis", the group playing there asked me to sing with them, so I had another FUN, FUN, FUN time, singing with them.

"SKY"
Ken