Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Default Military Veteran's Question

My neighbor has a son who is very interested in attending one of the military academies..he asked for my help since my son is a graduated of the Air Force Academy...
In researching the nomination process for the other academies, I discovered that the Vice President of the United States cannot nominate to the Merchant Marine Academy and does not nominate to the Coast Guard Academy...
Does anybody know why?
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Admiral

I know that the Coast Guard Academy does not use the appointment process. Their midshipman are selected based on their academic record and merit. It is the only service academy that does this. Nobody can be appointed.

No idea about the Merchant Marine Academy rules with regard to the Vice-President. It is probably a political thing involved in that academy being approved way back when, and it part of the congressional charter.

http://www.cga.edu/admissions2.aspx?id=99
Old October 20th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Admiral

Thanks Dave...I suggested to my neighbor that he and his son call the Port of New Orleans and arrange a visit to meet with a graduate of the Merchant Marine Academy...ditto with the local Coast Guard Station which I'm sure has tons of officers who are academy graduates and a huge mission to protect the Mississippi River against terrorism...if that peak's the young man's interest, then I offered to fly with them to visit both academies next spring (his son is in 10th grade).for a weekend campus visit...like most young boys, he wants to fly fighter jets (like my son) but I reminded him that the Coast Guard flys those cool rescue helicopters and rescued lots of folks during Hurricane Katrina...also there are big bucks working as a Port pilot who are required on the Mississippi and you don't get shot at (his Mom liked that point)

I'm going to contact the VPOTUS office and inquire about why his office has that quirk

West Point, Naval and Air Force Academies are more well known but there may be a better opportunity at the smaller Coast Guard and Merchant Marine Academies for my neighbor's son...in light of post 911 war on terrorism and how our Country defends our shipping lanes and domestic shorelines, graduates should be in demand...plus the cadet dress uniforms look just as cool as the big 3
Old October 20th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Admiral

He may want to consider getting a local American Legion post to consider him for the Boys State program each state holds annually. I was a Boys State delegate in NY back in 1973. The academies send cadets/midshipmen to each state's program to provide information and in a way, recruit possible candidates. They look on Boys State delegates as leaders from their communities and schools and thus desirable as officer candidates.

Shortly after I came home from Boys State I started getting mail from all the service academies. West Point was the most aggressive, and indicated they could help obtain an appointment - not all appointments come from elected officials. For instance, in my case it was implied a Secretary Of The Army nomination could be obtained. But, my eye sight was not good enough (how I wish they had laser surgery back then!) so I couldn't go.
Old October 20th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Dave...great suggestion, I will pass it on to my neighbor...also all of the academies sponsor summer math/science /leadership camps for high schoolers which is another form of early recruitment....the big 3 also have the "prep academies" for high school graduates that may be lacking in one area, the candidate pays their own way and no gurantee of admission

He is involved in his high school junior ROTC program and plays sports...what generally scares most potential recruits away is the 5 year military service committment after graduation...next time my son is at the Pentagon on special assignment, I will have my neighbor's son visit him..a career in the military as an officer is a pretty good deal these days...only problem is as the military downsizes...

I was at Boy's State in 1968...At that time the military was not that popular due to Vietnam...times have sure changed

I'll keep you posted as to what happens...as with most teenagers, he might change his interest in a week and decide to join the Peace Corp and do a year of service in Bali