Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Remember When?

Have you been cruising long enough to remember when sailaways meant tossing streamers? How about being invited on to the bridge to sailaway with the Captain, or just do a bridge tour? Play skeet? What about being able to have friends and family board, and visit with you, then leave with the last call for all visitors came over the loud speaker?

Times have sure changed......

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; October 20th, 2013 at 02:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Oh happy days :o) We never had the option of friends/family visiting, and the skeet was electronic laser skeet off the back of the ship, but the streamers, bridge visits, sail ins & sailaways were always great - our avatar is from the QE2 Bridge Wing taken during a sailaway from La Rochelle in France.

Even the bands playing at sailaway seem to be getting fewer and fewer :o(

Alan & Katrina
Then: P&O Oceana December 2016

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Royal, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Britannia, Oceana(3), Oriana(12), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(7), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva, Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old October 20th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Yes I do...1983 Carnival Festivale...streamers and free drinks at the sail-a-way party...in Nassau we stayed in port until 0200 am and went to the Playboy Club for dinner, show and gambling...fun ship special drinks for $1.75...midnight deck party with a full buffet, live calypso & rock&roll band..different theme night for dinner and dress

Thanks for the memories
Old October 20th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Have you been cruising long enough to remember when sailaways meant tossing streamers? How about being invited on to the bridge to sailaway with the Captain, or just do a bridge tour? Play skeet? What about being able to have friends and family board, and visit with you, then leave with the last call for all visitors came over the loud speaker?

Times have sure changed......
The streamers are now illegal in most countries, and a terrible pollutant in the sea. Probably not something we should be proud of doing in the past. Since most cruisers do not board ships in their home port and have no relatives or friends ashore to throw the streamers to, the point of doing this is lost. Port security rarely allows non-passengers close enough to the ship to catch streamers anyway. Throwing streamers down to the stevedores who just lost or damaged your suitcases doesn't quite make any sense.

Although most cruise lines have officially stopped bridge visits and tours, VIPs are still invited regularly. We just do not advertise it.

Handing loaded shotguns to passengers on a rolling deck just after they have consumed a few cocktails was never a good idea - and thankfully stopped.

Having friends and family onboard before sailaway is still a regular practice on many cruise lines. My ship was in Sydney 3 days ago and we had over 500 visitors onboard to see their friends off. Today though, local security in most ports requires advance registration for this sort of thing.

But yes, times certainly have changed:

Now you can stand on deck and telephone / text / Skype your family and friends around the world - with photos and video - as your ship visits or departs a distant port.
You can watch live television on a large screen in your cabin - in just about anyplace on earth.
You can watch your local junior college football team play live, with video streaming.
My ship loans you an iPod to use for the entire voyage - to take photos, videos, use as a telephone, read books, or use as a computer. Or you can video telephone anyone else on the ship from it - at no charge.
Feel like having French, Japanese, Italian, German, or Spanish food at dinner tonight? No problem.
Would you like to sample freshly brewed beer from a micro-brewery? We have one onboard.
Have you always wanted to learn how to make a soufflé? We teach you.
Have you ever wanted to visit a planetarium? We have a virtual one onboard.
Would you like to learn a new language, or a new computer program? No problem. You can start today. No charge.
Old October 20th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Admiral

Yes indeed. LOTS of memories.
One of our favorite things to do, when in port, was to visit the other ships who happened to be there at the same time. They'd let you board, and wander around until time for them to sail. I often did that, instead of visiting the island. (Now I just stay aboard my own ship, more often than not.) Found a lot of ships that I later booked, simply because I enjoyed what I saw while visiting them in port.)

"SKY"
Old October 20th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Those are all some great memories of a past part of cruising....I do remember the skeet shooting off the back of the ship....Times have changed, but still a great vacation.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 20th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Bruce, I was not suggesting these activities come back, just remenissing about days gone by. Things change for a reason, with circumstances, knowledge and time.

My very first cruise on the Celebration, in 1990, we were invited to sailaway on the bridge..not sure how we were selected but very interesting. Streamers were thrown,and I think not long after they stopped it, so I never got a chance to throw any...

Not sure if you can still walk off one ship and try to book another, leaving shortly...I was in line once, when a couple was doing just that.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 20th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Yes indeed. LOTS of memories.
One of our favorite things to do, when in port, was to visit the other ships who happened to be there at the same time. They'd let you board, and wander around until time for them to sail. I often did that, instead of visiting the island. (Now I just stay aboard my own ship, more often than not.) Found a lot of ships that I later booked, simply because I enjoyed what I saw while visiting them in port.)

"SKY"
Many people still do that today.
Before their cruise they visit a website like cruisett and get a list of all ships that will be with them in port. Then they (or their travel agent) contact the respective cruise lines and request permission to visit the vessel.
These requests are almost always approved.
You normally get a nice guided tour and can stay for lunch.
Old October 20th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Rob and I didn't start cruising until 1999 when our younger daughter was finishing college. I would have loved to to have "gotten in the cruising game a lot earlier" but paying college tuitions for two girls, was one of our main priorities. I have read about the romance of being on a ship, in the "good old days" when you could have family and friends go aboard and say "bon voyage". Unfortunately, the world has changed but I am so glad that security has increased tremendously aboard ships.