Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 25th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Default Electronic Book Signing!!!

I love to read and I admit I am old school...I love hard copy books...I will only buy the paperback version (when available) to save space in my suitcase (when I cruise or travel) and I love to attend book signings and readings at my local bookstores to have my book signed by the author and have my picture taken. with them...I've always told my son that my signed book collection is in my will for he and my grandson

My son, of course thinks I am crazy he gave me a SONY tablet that has the E-Reader app so I can download books..he emailed me that Apple has an pending e-book patent that will have an autograph page in each device that will allow the author to electronically sign and send you a certificate to authenticate (sp) plus a picture or video of his and your image together...you just have to be in close range of the author

For those thst like to read...is this a good/bad thing or just a sign of the times
Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I am an equal opportunity reader, I have a kindle fire hd, I love my library,and have borrowed books, since I was a wee one,and I love books on tape. I would love that autograph option! Last week I won an autograhed book, from one of my favorite authors, which I will treasure.

I think many people who say, they will never like an tablet to read, becomes a fan.... I had one of the first EBooks,many years ago, from RCA, so I have been a fan, since the 90's.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 25th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Admiral

I like the idea of e-books, really, I do. I have an iPad and even read Oliver Twist on it last year, when I was on a cruise. The app even looked like a book with pages I turned, but it doesn't satisfy me as much as a real book. I have several signed books and have spent the time in a long line to get those signatures.

But, as we all know, the days of hard cover books are coming to a close; as are newspapers. I mourn the loss of both.
Old October 26th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yep, I think it is a sign of the times.. Ever since I got a Kindle, that is all I use to read books. It is just so darn easy to pick up a book and they are so nice to travel with, etc. I would be thrilled to have any book autographed, kindle or real.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 26th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Captain

I too am a Kindle Fire HD geek. I got one because I wanted to read a few books on a long cruise I had taken and didn't want the weight of several books nor did I want to rely on what "might" be available on the ship. It works great for my needs!
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14

Legend of the Seas; 04/16/2014; Booked
Old October 26th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Admiral

As I always tell my son..no one steals a book if I leave it on a deck chair while getting something to eat...would not dare leave my tablet (it does have the tracking security on it)
Old October 27th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

This is the first ebook I am aware of...in the late 90s,Bruce paid $350.00 for it,as a Christmas gift for me...It had functions I liked...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 30th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Admiral

Give me the feel of paper and the heft of a real book...

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.