Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2013, 11:26 AM
First Mate

Default Your most memorable embarkation

Do you have a 'most memorable embarkation'? Ours was back on January 13, 2011 and we were on Cunard's Queen Victoria. All 3 Cunard Queens were in NYC and embarked at the same time only to pause near the Statue of Liberty while the City of New York put on a tremendous fireworks display to honour Cunard. Up on deck we sipped champagne and although it was freezing cold we would not have missed it for anything else.
Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Admiral

WOW...that must of been awesome

Ours was September 9th, 2002 on. Royal Olympic Cruises "Olympic Explorer" departing Venice Italy at sunset...it was a brand new ship..held less then 600 guests and could do 30 knots....it was total silence on the open deck as we floated past the famous landmarks and gondolas on our way to Santorini, and Istanbul...it was sooooo beautiful and peaceful...llittle did we know what would occur
Old October 26th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Admiral

The only one that sticks out in my mind is memorable but not in a good way.
November 2009 Tampa port on the Inspiration . The ship was very late coming into port due to heavy fog and we were delayed boarding until about 7:30 pm.

But I'm a glass half full kind of gal so I need to add , November 1998 this was the first time I ever stepped onto a cruise ship and remember my breath taken away...I haven't been the same since

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

ALLURE OF THE SEAS FEB 2016.... Who's going with??
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old October 27th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Admiral

My very first cruise! October 1999 on the Ecstasy out of Miami. I had no idea of what to expect. But, I was hooked afterwards!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 27th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Like Michael, my most memorable was my first cruise on the MS Mercury in February of 2000. The sheer excitement of the upcoming cruise was enough but when I saw her, at the pier, in Miami I was in awe of her size and beauty. In the waiting area I was like a kid with his nose up to the glass just staring at her. I couldn't wait for number "0" to be called and we would be on board.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 27th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Probably my very 1st cruise, on the Royal Caribbean's Nordic Empress in 1995. To look at it today it is so small, but at the time I thought it was garangtuan, and stepping onboard was a shock - I was in a 5 star hotel, not on a ship! My husband loves to tell the story that on this 1 st cruise I asked when we would be sailing, and we had already been at sea for 30 minutes - I never noticed!

donna
Old October 27th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Our first cruise Jan 2005. It was for our 30th anniversary on the Star Princess. So in awe of the ship and the sail away from Ft. Lauderdale.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old October 27th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Admiral

I think I have to join the majority here and say it was my first cruise, on the Carnival Fascination in 1995. I'll always remember that moment of arriving at the port in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and seeing this HUGE ship. Stepping on board and seeing everything was just awe inspiring. And you know, all these cruises later, I still get that shiver of excitement when I board!
Old October 27th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have one, when the last time I ever used the cruise/air program...It was flying into Miami for a Princess cruise, and of course there was a plane change in Atlanta, fling Delta and delays, etc. We did make it to the ship, but once onboard, the muster drill was already in progress and we met our cabin attendant upon getting to our cabin, he said to just stay put and within minutes we were sailing away...That was way too close for comfort.. Amazingly, our luggage did make it on the ship :-) I was worried about that too.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 27th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Admiral

My most memorable one has to be when we first stepped on board of the Radiance OTS. The decor of that ship and all of the glass appointments was just amazing. All I could say was Wow.
Old October 30th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Admiral

My most memorable embarkation was a long time ago on the SS Olympia. I was eleven years old and we sailed from Lisbon, Portugal to New York City. Since then I have lived in the USA.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old October 30th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have 2....my very first, on the Celebration, sailing out on the bridge.

My Magic Med cruise...I had dreamed about sailing, down the grand Canal in Venice...had seen the glory of it all on tv for years.....as we sailed, we wondered why our side of the deck was not crowded with excitement.....we found out we were on the wrong side of the ship to view the "good view"...we ran like hell when we realized it....oy!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 30th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Admiral

Trip..that happen to us also...the good news is on a small vessel it was only 12 steps to the other side...Venice is my most favorite City in the world...we took a water shuttle from the airport to St Mark's Square after an overnight flight...we were dead tired until we entered the harbor into the City and docked by the gondolas, when we experience a rush and realized we were actually there

On that same cruise when we arrived in Santorini at sunset with the sun reflecting off the alabaster cliffs was as breath taking as embarking from Venice
Old November 1st, 2013, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

My first cruise on Festivale in February 1983. I remember as the bus approached the pier I got my first glimpse of "my" ship. I was so excited I burst into tears. We stopped and the bus driver got our luggage out. We turned it over to the porters and went inside. Remember the old Carnival terminal? As we entered the terminal there was the longest flight of stairs I had ever seen, or so I thought. We climbed the stairs to the waiting area. We had paperwork to fill out and no seating space nor tables to work on. Paperwork completed we went and stood in line for boarding. the lines were alphabetical and you chose the one with the initial of your last name. You stood there waiting for the line to open and boarding to start. Finally one by one you were processed through the line and allowed to board the ship. Back then we were allowed to go to our cabins. We went and dropped off our carry on luggage and then went off to explore the ship.
Things have changed in Miami and conditions have improved over the years. Even with the passage of time and the changes made to the terminal and the check in process it is still complete chaos on embarkation day in Miami.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain