Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Default Quarantine!,!!

Have you ever became ill on a cruise and had to be confined (quarantine) in your cabin for the balance of your cruise? If so, what did you do to occupy your time and if your spouse was not ill, what did they do?

After years of coaxing, one of my best friends decided to take his lady friend on a full charter music cruise on the West Coast to Mexico...because it was their first cruise he really went all out and purchased an aft extended balcony cabin....when they arrived in the cruise terminal they were advised that due to an outbreak of the Noro Virus (sp) in Mexico they would be cruising North to Vancouver and San Francisco instead of the Mexican resorts port...then the first day of sailing he came down with the virus and was confined to his cabin...she was fine but when she tried to insert her S&S card to get off at the first port of call..she was not allowed due to his outbreak...the ship arranged for all of their meals to be served in their cabin and she was advised not to mingle with the other guests in the public areas (which meant she could not attend any of the concerts or events)..needless to say, she understood his becoming ill was not his fault, but she hasn't been on a cruise since...I told her she was lucky they were not in an inside cabin...she failed to find the humor in my comment

Have you ever gotten ill on a cruise
Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2013, 05:06 PM
First Mate

I was on a transatlantic out of Barcelona that had a noro outbreak. It appeared that the virus was brought on board by a group of a dozen people who had had a 3-day pre-cruise package in Seville. First they passed it among themselves, and then to many others. In their defense, the initial attack apparently comes on with little warning.

Four days into the cruise I was waiting with several others for a team trivia game, when a woman on our team said, "I don't feel well", jumped up and ran off. The poor lady did not even make it to a restroom before she doubled over. Prior to that she had seemed perfectly normal.

Two days after that I had just returned to my cabin after lunch, when I had a sudden attack of diaharia. Although I did not feel sick, I reported the event (by phone) to sickbay. They sent up some pills and told me to stay in my cabin until 24 hours after the cessation of symptoms. They also sent a crew dressed up like radiation workers to decontaminate the bathroom. I read a book, had some soup delivered for supper, and went to bed early. The next day I had a room service deliver a light breakfast, then a normal lunch, and by dinnertime pronounced myself cleared --- called sickbay again, they said OK. My cabin mate was never restricted and never came down with the virus.

We were told that noro has a two- to three-day incubation period. Once we went three days without any new cases, the ship removed restrictions. Of course, the cruise was just about over by then. That would imply that if your friend came down with it on the first day of his cruise, he came aboard already infected.
Old October 27th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Thanks for sharing...you are probably right....we laugh about their adventure now, was not funny then...many of her favorite artists were onboard performing and she had to watch them on tv in her cabin...I understand alot of guests were sick
Old October 27th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We precrusied before my hosting the last Chefs's cruise on the Epic. I was at the tale end of a cough and head cold. After a day or so, it came back,and Bruce got it....we hardly left the cabin,and my hosting duties took a back seat, sadly. As days passed, Bruce was getting worse and at several of us, urging him, he went to see the dr, onboard, while we were docked in St Thomas. His heart rate was high enough for them, to start and stop his heart,and before you know it we were disembarked, and on to the hospital, for 4 days, where they stopped and started his heart again

The blessing and silver lining in all this was, with all the testing they did, it was discovered he had a mass on his kidney. On we went home to have his kidney removed......A trip to remember!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator