Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 30th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Default Baseball World Series Definition of a True Fan

Last night, a few of my neighbors were discussing the current World Series and the upcoming game tonight...in the deep South there is more fan fervor directed towards hometown minor league teams then MLB...fans will have a tendency to root for teams that have players who came up thru their minor league team...we also comment that young boys today want to be football, basketball pros instead of baseball
We all agreed that our team loyalty has it's roots in our youth...I grew up in Boston Red Soxs terriority, yet I never rooted for them (goes back to their owner in the 50's-60's)..because I met Willie Mays in Shea Stadium in the locker room, I became a lifetime Mets fan (it help that I loved their pitching rotation Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman, Nolan Ryan, Gary Gentry)...I was Blessed to have lunch 15 years. ago with the great Cardinal legend Bob Gibson, so of course I am rooting for the Cardinals to come back and win the crown
My question (s) 1) as a young person was there one pro team (any sport). that you still
root for today? 2) why do you think todays youths don't aspire to be. MLB pros (longer. career make more $$$ lifetime)
We board the Carnival Freedom Saturday for our Jazz cruise...there is a huge representation of Jazz fans from both cities on the ship...the World Series will be decided by then...I bet I can tell which team won by the number of baseball jerseys worn in the cruise terminal and the good nature trash talking in the waiting area..I will have my Cardinal jersey in my camera bag
Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Venice,
Great questions! I grew up a Reds fan, partly because I grew up in Southern Ohio, and partly of my father who grew up with Wally Post. He actually played high school ball with him! Post actually went back to St. Henry after retiring and died there, just down the road from my grandparent's farm. Plus, I remember (barely) the Big Red Machine, and what excitement that team generated. Still root for the Redlegs.

Now I live in the Norfolk/Virginia/Chesapeake, VA area. We actually have quite a few MLB players from this area. The Upton brothers, Michael Cuddyer, Ryan Zimmerman and David Wright are all from this area. That's just the big ones! There are also quite a few who player minor league ball. I guess we hear about more about them around here?
Old October 30th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Spot on Venice! Before the Houston Colt 45s, known now as the Astros, came into the National League in 1962, the local nine were known as the Houston Buffs. The Buffs were a farm club of the Saint Louis Cardinals. This allowed Houstonians to see many of the Cardinals stars before they were stars. Thus, many in Houston have been and are Cardinals fans. Alas, the population that here during these times are rapidly declining. A shift is taking place because those older fans are dying out. For many years, the passion has been kindled by a trip to a local furniture store which was located on the site of Buff Stadium. This store contained a baseball museum that contained the home plate of Buff Stadium in its original location. Along the walls of the museum were cases of baseball memorabilia dedicated to the Houston professional teams, including the Buffs. Signed baseballs, jerseys, footballs, gloves, shoes and basketballs of Stan Musial, the Dean brothers, Bob Gibson and other Houston legends. The store closed some years back but the family that owned the store has kept the mementos of the museum and have opened a smaller version of the museum in town. Not as neat as standing at the home plate where Ty Cobb or Stan the Man stood at and taking a phantom swing of the bat but we take what we can get.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 30th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Admiral

As a child my Grandfather use to take me to the local town league games on Sundays...it was really a passage of knowledge between us and the slow pace of the game allow him to test my math skills, memory of what the batter did last time up, and enjoy all the hotdogs, soda and ice cream that I could fit in my mouthbut I learn to appreciate the art of the game

New Orleans has a PCL team the Zephers, who play in a beautiful cozy stadium and because of the humidity, games are at night..for $10, you get 2 tickets, meet the players and take pics, run the bases after the game and see a fireworks show at the end ...when a player is called up to the majors you follow his stats online...every year there is a train trip on Amtrak to St Louis and Chicago (Wrigley Field)...I've been to Fenway, Yankee Stadium and Zepher field is still the best

On your next cruise to the Caribbean (where 50% of MLB players are coming from) rather then do the shopping stuff, visit the local baseball park..my friends just came back from Cuba...baseball is still their national past time...in America it appears to be NFL football...