Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2013, 03:50 AM
Admiral

Default Disconnect While At Sea!!!!

Just return late Sunday from my full charter Smooth Jazz SuperCruise on the Carnival Freedom 8 day to Aruba, Curaco, Dominican Republic and Half. Moon Cay...everything was incredible and the weather & music was great
Unless you have a loved one that is ill or a family emergency, very small children or elderly parents, I could never understand why when on a cruise on full days at sea, wasting 3-4 hours in the internet cafe with very slow and expensive charges to check your email or check in at work to see what's going on
I learned a long time ago, when on a cruise vacation, to enjoy the fact I was disconnect from the stresses of everyday job/life challenges...key folks knew how to contact the ship in case of emergency..there is nothing so important at work that it cannot wait until your return
When we were in port in Curacao, there was a long line at Starbucks for the free wifi instead of enjoying the incredible port of call...we had 6 channels devoted to Jazz on our tv in the cabin, so I never watched the news...it was great
Are you the tyoe that totally disconnects on your cruise or do you stay connected daily.
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post

Are you the tyoe that totally disconnects on your cruise or do you stay connected daily.
I stay in touch with my son because I need to know how my Mother is doing.

I call him everyday, but keep the phone call to less than three minutes. Since I get free minutes on Royal or Celebrity I do check a few things on the computer.
We do have fun on our cruises but I don't tune out the world while cruising.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old November 11th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Twice we cruised mid semester while I was teaching an online class. Had to check e-mail daily on those cruises.. Otherwise I am in communicato.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old November 11th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Admiral

As a retired computer engineer, I learned a LONG time ago that cruises were meant to be a "get away" from technology, and NEWS! The only exception to this rule is when I cruise solo, (very rarely) I'll check in with the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) to make sure that everything is O.K. on the home front, and even then, it's ONCE during a seven day cruise. The first thing I do upon embarkation is lock the cell phone in the safe.

"SKY"
Old November 11th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Admiral

When my son was little I called everyday but only stayed on for a minute or two, now that he's 17 I will call home probably twice total.
I agree, when I read people asking about the cost of the Internet, I think why do you want to be messing with that, your on vacation at sea.

On the other hand I can see how some might have something pressing going on at home and need to stay connected ....for me no way!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old November 11th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Administrator
Admiral

What's right for one person may not be right for another. Many people do have jobs that require a periodic check-in and/or not being able to check in will generate more stress and worry than not checking in.

Today's corporate world is driven by email and other communications. Often people will return to an email inbox with a thousand emails. It's crazy but it's often the reality. Being out of the loop, for even a week, on some projects, deals, or inquiries can sometimes mean losing a client, a project going off the rails, or closing a deal.

When I was in the "corporate" world there were times I needed to stay in touch, especially if a client or project was at a critical point when my cruise or vacation came around. In those days Internet at sea was in its infancy but I did make a few cell calls in ports and I also received a few calls on the cabin phone. On the other hand I would evaluate a manager, director or group leader on how well his/her area would run when they weren't there. If it all went south then they weren't doing a good job of training and empowering their people. If it ran smoothly then they were doing a good job. I wish my bosses would have thought the same way.

On the "nice" side of it. Some folks like sharing their time in somewhat "real time" mode with friends and family.

It really boils down to what is going to make your vacation more enjoyable. You aren't going to change your lifestyle and personality in one week so why make that week less enjoyable by worrying about things. If twenty minutes or two hours on the Internet is going to make the rest of the time more fun then go online and take care of what you need to take care of. If you are spending two hours a day taking care of work issues then you shouldn't have gone on vacation.

Each person is different but, in the end, it's what you do to enjoy your vacation that makes it fun.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 11th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Knowing first hand how slow internet can be, [I was screaming all the time while I tried to do my Magic reports] and costly too, I would try and limit my time to only imperative contacts....there's alot of truth in, once you get it behind you for the day, you can better enjoy your day without the worry.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 11th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Admiral

I am guilty; frequently on internet while on cruise. Whether getting a little office work done so I am not missed and can continue to get long vacations approved or checking football scores or checking the market; I travel with iPhone, iPad, and laptop. With omnipresent wifi and free internet, I think cruise lines are realizing how important connectivity can be.

Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old November 11th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Admiral

I limit my usage as much as I can, but am also in the group that as a minimum has to check my e-mail daily. When you do consultant work (like me), a new contract can slip through my hands while out on a cruise if I don't check in. Most of my jobs come via e-mail.

Now, I don't run around talking on my iPhone and constantly texting like some. However I do carry my phone as my camera and leave it in airplane mode.
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Admiral

All valid points for daily contacts but I guess the key is limiting the time to accomplish it...I was lucky to work for a VP that stressed to his staff that when you go on vacation don't call the office, but technology today keeps one connected 24/7/365