CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   What ever happened to thanksgiving? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/399849-what-ever-happened-thanksgiving.html)

katlady November 12th, 2013 03:54 PM

What ever happened to thanksgiving?

I just saw this article Walmart Makes it Official: Thanksgiving Is Dead | Breakout - Yahoo Finance and it makes me sad. :(Thanksgiving should be a day to spend with family and watch football. I use to go every year to the black Friday sales. But once they moved the sales to Thursday night I stopped. A holiday should be a holiday. I feel people should refuse to shop these sales until we get our thanksgiving holiday back. :mad: What do you guys think?

Manuel November 12th, 2013 04:01 PM

Thanksgiving is alive and well at my home in Palm Coast, Fl.
We will be having a turkey and all the trimmings and counting our blessings for the bounty that we have.

TM

CruisinK n J November 12th, 2013 04:33 PM

Whatever Happened to Thanksgiving

I agree with you, Katlady. I think commercial Christmas has taken over prematurely. There should be a law: no Christmas decorations, ads, or music before Thanksgiving.

Judy

canuckity November 12th, 2013 05:41 PM

I agree with you Katlady and Judy. Here Costco starts putting out their Christmas stuff at the end of August.

Surfguyxxx1 November 12th, 2013 06:52 PM

Mine is being spent with mom, 5 brothers and 3 sisters. I haven't even counted wives, husbands and kids. Wouldn't miss it for the world!

Moiraine November 12th, 2013 07:01 PM

I'm already sick of the commercials. I don't do the Black Friday shopping anyway. Thanksgiving will be at the niece's with and we'll be having a wonderful time with family, no shopping in the works.

Donna November 12th, 2013 10:10 PM

I also agree, it is like Thanksgiving is the forgotten holiday, all about Christmas...When I was a kid growing up, you did not see anything Christmas until after Thanksgiving, I think it should go back to that, and no x-mas shopping until after Thanksgiving. Give all these workers a day off to enjoy their thanks and spend time with their families..

Ron November 13th, 2013 12:09 AM

More and more stores are opening earlier and earlier--I think I saw where Walmart will be open Thanksgiving evening or night-- but on the other hand, if these stores opened and people didn't rush in like a wild herd of cattle, they wouldn't open on the holidays.
This is just the tip of the iceberg-- in another year or two, stores will be open on Thanksgiving by noon, if not sooner and I say that in about the same time frame, Christmas day will see " After Christmas Sales " and open
stores by noon on Christmas day.
Sad that retailers can't just let it be for a couple days out of the year, but on the other side of the coin, as I said , if people didn't line up to do the mad dash these stores wouldn't open.
I personally wouldn't and don't go to the stores around the holidays-- I have 365 days in which to buy something if I need or want it so I can take off a few days to avoid the stampede and frenzy that seems to overtake people's minds around those times of the year.
Just my humble thoughts. :) :)

AR November 13th, 2013 12:16 AM

I am not in the habit of letting a store that I have never patronized and that I will never patronize dictate to me which holidays are dead and which are alive.

Let the massed millions gorge themselves on their buying frenzies--a good part of which they can't afford--before their Thanksgiving meals are digested. I couldn't care less. No matter how early the sales start, no matter how soon Santa starts ho-hoing on TV, we are still creatures who can exercise free choice, including the choice to ignore.

Me, I'll be settled in with friends and family, enjoying the company of those I love and don't see often enough, talking quietly, laughing, and being at peace.

Others can shop till they drop. You'll find me reveling in hearth and home. That's the best gift of all.

venice November 13th, 2013 06:26 AM

My Christmas shopping is completed...Look forward to Thanksgiving with friends and going to the movies after our meal..I am thankful that many folks who are unemployed can find seasonal holiday work

katlady November 13th, 2013 09:33 AM

AR well said and I agree with Ron if people weren't rushing to the store on Thanksgiving the stores would be forced to wait. I refuse to go to any store on Thanksgiving no matter what. To me those people should be able to be home with their families not working on the holiday. I did enjoy my Black Friday shopping. I use to bring the ads to Thanksgiving and have my family flip through and pick out the things they want. But I won't be one of the cattle that ruins the holiday for the employees. I never hit Walmart the shoppers were too crazy.

JoAnn Fabric is the only place I have Black Friday shopped the past few years. They still wait until Thanksgiving and I'm a quilter to the fabric deals are amazing I also got on OTT lite that I love. As I get older the eyes are getting fussy. The extra light helps a lot.

Manuel November 13th, 2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady (Post 1489126)

I also got on OTT lite that I love. As I get older the eyes are getting fussy. The extra light helps a lot.

Kat, you are a long way from being called older. Your parents are getting older, but you are still a young Chick.:D

TM

Paul Motter November 13th, 2013 02:19 PM

It's purely an American thing. In Europe stores still close on Sundays - and every afternoon from noon to 4:00 pm.

American's are just obsessed with money, and consumer spending is a big part of our economy.

AR - your post sounds so judgmental. You say "hearth and home" is important to you - but you only have disdain for the people who live in the "Wal-Mart" world -- as if they have a choice and pick Wal-Mart over "Whole Foods" and "Tiffany's"

Where is your empathy for the people who have to work at Wal-Mart to support their families?

katlady November 13th, 2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1489169)
It's purely an American thing. In Europe stores still close on Sundays - and every afternoon from noon to 4:00 pm.

American's are just obsessed with money, and consumer spending is a big part of our economy.

AR - your post sounds so judgmental. You say "hearth and home" is important to you - but you only have disdain for the people who live in the "Wal-Mart" world -- as if they have a choice and pick Wal-Mart over "Whole Foods" and "Tiffany's"

Where is your empathy for the people who have to work at Wal-Mart to support their families?

I think I understand AR's dislike of Wal-mart. I don't believe AR's comments were aimmed at the people who shop at Wal-mart but at the company themselves. Wal-mart runs there company similar to how I believe a war is run. The start out in the small communities and under cut the prices all the family owned business until they are the only ones left. Then they invade into the large communities. They have now starting put grocery stores into their stores for Super Wal-marts. There appears to be an effort on Wal-mart to have a Monopoly over Department and Grocery stores. The company tells the suppliers how much they will spend instead of the suppliers quoting a price. This ensures that Wal-mart has the lowest prices. They care little for their employees. They don't provide medical insurance and do everything in their power to stop the unions for coming it. In some ways I find Wal-mart to be very effective and well run company in other ways I find them shameful.

My original post included a news article where Wal-mart declares Thanksgiving dead. So this was be how Wal-mart entered into the discussion. AR refuses to allow any large corporation to offically take away his holiday. Wal-mart can't control the will of the people no matter how large they become. But this is how I read it, AR please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :D

Manuel November 13th, 2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady (Post 1489186)
I

My original post included a news article where Wal-mart declares Thanksgiving dead. So this was be how Wal-mart entered into the discussion. AR refuses to allow any large corporation to offically take away his holiday. Wal-mart can't control the will of the people no matter how large they become. But this is how I read it, AR please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :D

That is pretty much the way I see it as well.

TM

Paul Motter November 13th, 2013 04:57 PM

Hi Katlady...

Quote:

My original post included a news article where Wal-mart declares Thanksgiving dead.
No, it doesn't. Sorry (no offense meant, but this kind of inaccuracy is a pet peeve of mine)

I do agree with you that WalMarts tactics are "war-like" when it comes to destroying the downtown shopping of small towns. I understand that.

But to say "Wal-Mart Makes it Official - Thanksgiving is Dead" are the words of Wal-Mart is just not right. Those words were the opinion of the writer of the article about Wal-Mart - NOT the words of Wal-Mart the company. It is misleading to say that Wal-Mart said that - it just isn't true.

I am not defending their actions. I just think it is very unfair to put words in other people's mouths. Here is the Wal-Mart press release, and nowhere does it say "Thanksgiving is dead"

Walmart Announces Plans for Black Friday 2013 - Yahoo Finance

venice November 13th, 2013 06:41 PM

The internet has changed the holiday shopping patterns for Americans...a company either embraces the internet or gets put out of business..major box companies are embracing it...

At Best Buy, I can purchase on sale. an electronic item on "Black Friday" and arrange a store p/u on the following Monday when store traffic is slow...Best Buy knows they no longer have to lure you to the store with 50% off sales and open at midnight on Thanksgiving...however there is a certain segment of the public that enjoys that ritual of standing in line at 6 am for their favorite store to open at midnight

Post Hurricane Katrina I make a point of holiday shopping with local small businesses as a point of pride..I only purchase my prescription medicine and Greek yogurt from WalMart

In New Orleans Thanksgiving is alive and well with fried turkey, multi generation family dinners, Bayou Classic football game at the SuperDome and Church on Sunday...WalMart has not impacted that

AR November 13th, 2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1489169)

Wrong again. We've lived in the same house for 42 years and the closest Wal-Mart is some 12 miles away. That may not seem far, but the route happens to go through some of the most congested roads in the area--day or night or weekend. What's more, it's in an area that we almost never visit for other reasons (ironically, there is a Tiffanys near there, but we never go there either). Plus we hardly ever go to Whole Foods because their parking lot is so small that it's a PITA.

There are other stores that are much closer and more convenient.

So, as is so often the case, you added one and one, and got three. We don't go to Wal-Mart simply because it's inconvenient, and unless they build one closer will never be convenient. It's a matter of proximity.

Kat is also right that I'm no fan of their way of doing business, but that has nothing to do with the people who shop there or those who work there. There's no disdain for them at all. Once again Paul, foul ball.

There is a Costco nearby and we shop there often. Do we get points living in the "Costco world?"

And anyway, my view on the matter extends to any store or stores that compete to be the first to suck up the Christmas bucks. They're free to start the nonsense in July for all I care. I just won't be there. I am notorious for doing all my shopping on Dec. 24 and/or online.

Oh, and here's my empathy for those who work at Wal-Mart and many other places to support their families: I'm for a huge increase in the minimum wage. How 'bout you?

Donna November 13th, 2013 08:50 PM

That is almost quite funny, you can't work at Walmart and support a family....very sad...

Ron November 13th, 2013 10:41 PM

Lets all just hope that everyone has a great Thanksgiving and Christmas wherever they are, whatever their financial status may be, etc.
I see both sides--My wife worked 34 years 1 month and 5 days in the retail jewelry business managing a store for the largest retailer of jewelery ( sales wise ) in the country. For all those years we never had a normal Christmas, until last Christmas , as she was retired. She was so happy to be able to sleep late, not work late, not have to deal with people, etc. that she actually put up 2 Christmas trees and tons of decorations !
Yes, she could have quit but with 2 kids to put through college without loans, it took both of us working. Plus, she made a sizable salary and bonus. But the other side of the coin was giving up the holidays, working long hours and believe me folks, when you deal with Christmas shoppers for 2 months and then have to deal with the returns, exchanges, etc after Christmas, you have earned your pay and a few days off.
So, as I said I have seen it from both sides. My wife is retired now and they called today wanting her to come back to work through Christmas--No Way !!!!
I don't care whether it's Walmart, Cosco, Target or whomever--they are out for the dollar and the employees be damned--you can bet the CEO's and other top mgt. people are home, as A.R. said, around the hearth with their family and friends on the holidays.
But, everyone has a choice--shop or not--stay away as I do, or go with the thundering herds-- if I get pushed, shoved, toes stepped on, etc it will be at home, maybe by my wife ! :) :)
Just be happy to be somewhere where it's safe, you have shelter and at least some family time. And remember--war doesn't necessarily shut down because we have a holiday-- So, remember our troops who would love to be home but are in, or will be in some very dangerous situations during the holidays--I know--been there and done that and the holidays, although on your mind, have to be pushed back to concentrate on the job at hand or you might not be around for the next holiday !
So, lets all just try to be happy--happy-- happy ---and thankful. :D :D

katlady November 14th, 2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1489191)
Hi Katlady...

No, it doesn't. Sorry (no offense meant, but this kind of inaccuracy is a pet peeve of mine)

I do agree with you that WalMarts tactics are "war-like" when it comes to destroying the downtown shopping of small towns. I understand that.

But to say "Wal-Mart Makes it Official - Thanksgiving is Dead" are the words of Wal-Mart is just not right. Those words were the opinion of the writer of the article about Wal-Mart - NOT the words of Wal-Mart the company. It is misleading to say that Wal-Mart said that - it just isn't true.

I am not defending their actions. I just think it is very unfair to put words in other people's mouths. Here is the Wal-Mart press release, and nowhere does it say "Thanksgiving is dead"

Walmart Announces Plans for Black Friday 2013 - Yahoo Finance

An excellent point you are correct Wal-mart never said Thanksgiving is dead. I should not misquote them. They simply keep opening earlier and earlier on Thanksgiving which causes the other stores to follow suit. Starting their sale this year right at dinner time on Thanksgiving is what they are doing. They would never say "Thanksgiving is dead come shop with us instead." But actions speak louder then words.

No worries I'm not offended. This is a discussion about shopping I'm not going to take anything personal. :D

katlady November 14th, 2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1489200)

In New Orleans Thanksgiving is alive and well with fried turkey, multi generation family dinners, Bayou Classic football game at the SuperDome and Church on Sunday...WalMart has not impacted that

What time is dinner? I can make a great honeyed pumpkin pie.:mrgreen:

Manuel November 14th, 2013 12:30 AM

When I first came to the USA, everything was closed for all the Holidays.
We arrived in NYC on Labor Day but the ship did not pull into a pier until the next day. All the workers in port had the day off.
In those days all stores were closed on Sundays and families spent time together.
Over the decades everything has changed and everyone is in a rush. I guess that things do change with time, but I liked the way life was when I was a kid.

TM

seadog2 November 14th, 2013 02:31 PM

When we were kids growing up from Thanksgiving on through New Years Mom and Dad went all out. When my now adult kids were growing up DW and I did the same thing. Now that we have grand kids DW and I really pour it on. Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. Even though society tries to eliminate some holidays in my house we keep them alive.

venice November 14th, 2013 03:11 PM

Kat....no one in New Orleans eats pumpkin pie:mad:...it is sweet potato pie...:wink:

When one is single..one makes :shock::rolleyes:Thanksgiving rounds" :roll:starting at 1pm and ending up at 6 pm...if I am lucky I can enjoy 3 stops and bring home 3 to go platesroflrofl

katlady November 15th, 2013 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1489268)
Kat....no one in New Orleans eats pumpkin pie:mad:...it is sweet potato pie...:wink:

When one is single..one makes :shock::rolleyes:Thanksgiving rounds" :roll:starting at 1pm and ending up at 6 pm...if I am lucky I can enjoy 3 stops and bring home 3 to go platesroflrofl

Ah you lost me I'm not a fan of the sweet potato or yam. Venice has the moves down. I like making a whole turkey and freeze some of the future.

venice November 15th, 2013 04:38 AM

Kat..,you would not recognize our Thanksgiving spread rofl Turducken, Creole style jambalaya stuffing, 2 types of Gumbo (chicken/andouille, seafood), alligator fritters, bread pudding, hush puppies, crawfish salad, collards:D....on Friday night we all attend the Bayou Classic famous Battle of the Bands (Southern vs Grambling) showdown at the SuperDome (always better then the actual game) and then the traditional Jazz Brunch on Sunday following Church

It is a Southern tradition, that a single person who is a guest for dinner, does the dishes and as a reward is sent home with a huge "to go" plate

Much like my perspective of full charter Jazz cruising, vs regular cruising, a New Orleans style Thanksgiving spread vs how we celebrate Thanksgiving growing up in the North, has now become my preference

However, Kat, if you are cooking and send me home with to go plate and if your Hubby watches football, I'll gladly add your home to 8-)my roundsLOL

Manuel November 15th, 2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1489268)

Pumpkin pie is something that I will not give up. I even had that when I had my Thanksgiving in Vietnam.

Now in Palm Coast, Florida we will have pumpkin pie and pasteis de nata........ Katlady knows what that means.

TM

Paul Motter November 15th, 2013 02:11 PM

By the way - while I used to love Thanksgiving I have to admit the whole holiday season is just WAY overdone by my in-laws.

So, this Turkey Day I will be aboard Carnival Breeze - taking in a long overdue Carnival cruise. I have not sailed with them on a full cruise for about 10 years.

Manuel November 15th, 2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1489353)
By the way - while I used to love Thanksgiving I have to admit the whole holiday season is just WAY overdone by my in-laws.

You can't overdo Thanksgiving.

It's a Holiday to relax, eat and get together with family.

TM