Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 13th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Default Dueling Airport Gate Area Cruise Experiences

This past Sunday I had a 6 hour wait time at Ft Lauderdale Airport for my 315 pm flight home to New Orleans...Southwest had an earlier non stop at 1145 am, but I booked the later to cover unexpected events and of course by using Luggage Express we cleared the Carnival Freedom by 745 am and at the airport by 820 am...if I had booked the earlier non stop, be my luck something would have happen....oh well
It just so happen that HAL Eurodam had hosted the Malt Shop Memories full charter cruise the same week as the full charter Capital Jazz SuperCruise..so there were 5000+ music fans along with 5000 Oasis of the Seas cruisers all in the gate area waiting for flights and sharing our cruise week experiences
I really enjoyed our mutual "debriefings" as we shared our cruise experiences...thanks. to modern technology via tablets we were able to exchange photos of musical performances on the two music charters...
My question...when you have long waits at the airport for your flight home following your cruise do you sleep, read, engage in conversation only with cruisers on your same ship or do you actively enter dialogue with cruisers from other ships
Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Bruce says, I can talk to a wall and get an answer, so if someone chatty sits by me, we engage. We always get to the airport early, to relax before we board. I also read as well. I love the hiustle and bustle of the airport,and finding out where people are from and going! People watching there is fun!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 13th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Living in Phoenix it often takes me a full day to get home from Florida. My FL flight might not leave until 5:00 pm, and my layover will last two hours.

If I had been on a music cruise like you, and there were others in the airport, I would share photos, of course. I love to talk about cruises and to meet other cruisers. I also love music - so that is a natural for me.

However - if it is just a regular cruise, I do like to get people's impressions of the cruise - was it good or bad; food, service, entertainment, cabins....

Old November 13th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Paul...my travel friend noticed that those of us on the music cruises hardly mentioned their impression of the cruise (food, cabin, ports of call etc) and focus on the interactions with the artists onboard and those on the Oasis hardly mentioned the onboard entertainment and more of the size of the Oasis, the food and their cabin
Much like Harley riders do at their rallys exchanging colors and patches, I exchanged 2 SuperCruise teeshirts that I was bringing back for friends with a couple who were on the MSM cruise.

What always intrigues me is to chat with folks who's first cruise ,ever, is a full charter music cruise...they come onboard with a set impression of what to expect on their cruise from friends, family and coworkers that have cruised before, but never an a full charter music cruise for 8 days...many of the first timers asked me to email them my pics of the artists & specialized events that they did not have pics, so their friends would believe them, when they start to share with them their experiences...it's one thing to show a pic on the Oasis of the outdoor auqua theatre or flow rider and quite another to show a pic of 3000 Average White Band fans on noon on the Lido deck old school party

The colorful teeshirts of each music theme cruise is a natural "ice breaker" in the gate area that can bring an elderly MSM fans from Waterloo Iowa with Jazz fans from New Orleans together in cruise fellowship...my big brother is 10 years older than I so I grew up listening to the music and artists of the MSM era, so we found common ground

After looking at the line up for next year's MSM cruise, since the weeks don't conflict with my SuperCruise, I may join my new gate area friends on the MSM cruise

Music and cruising go together very well..one big thing my friend noticed...the cruisers from the Oasis were well rested and relaxed from their week...music cruisers were exhausted but very,very happy
Old November 13th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I would enjoy any jazz cruise, but Malt Shop Memories would not really be my cup of tea (or tumbler of ice cream, as the case may be).

The only "malt" in my musical memories was in the bottles of beer I was drinking.

But yes, I agree that it is fun to see what people who go on a music cruise as first cruise end up thinking about the ship. A lot of them say - "we never even thought about taking a cruise, but this line up of bands sounded incredible, so we thought, "why not?"

Most of the time, they end up liking the ship. But music cruises are much different from leisure cruises - a lot more active. Especially for me, I feel like I want to be every place at one time.

Old November 13th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

What I think is funny is when people who go on a music cruise expect that the artists will be playing for regular cruisers (they don't understand it is a charter)...

So some of them think they are going to see a band like Paul Revere and the Raiders, or Kenny G. doing songs like "Satin Doll" for gray-haired people who want to Rumba.

Old November 13th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Why see a Legends Tribute Show when one can pay tribute and see perform live(and chat with and take pics) with a real legend.

it just so happens that a family of 4 (including 2 teenage daughters) were on the same Southwest flight (pos 31-34, I was pos 35) both ways...they were on the Oasis...it was the first family cruise and the teenagers were upset at their parents, for "taking them away "from their friends and taking their cellphones away from them as we were boarding for Ft. Lauderdale...when I saw them in the gate area on our return flight, they were hugging their parents for taking them on the Oasis because they made tons of new friends (code word for boys) and there were so many onboard activities they only saw their parents at breakfast and were excited about cruising on the Allure next year

Sometimes, parents still know best when understanding how a cruise is a perfect multi generational family reunion
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Admiral

People watching is always fun at the airport....However I tend to book early flights so I don't have a long wait at the airport. Once the cruise is over it's over and I rather get home asap get the laundry going then wait around for hours for a flight home.

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Admiral

On my last few cruises, we just got in our car and drove home.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old November 14th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Admiral

CQ...I had a nice chat with the Detroit Ballroom Dancing instructor(Mr Smooth, google him)and shared with him that if he ever does his group cruise out of your area, he should hire you as an assistant dance instructor in return for a free cabin

It would be my luck next year if I booked the before noon nonstop, there would be an obstacle...besides luggage express cannot be utilized if your flight is before noon...plus, you cannot get thru TSA check point security until 4 hours before your scheduled departure

I actually make use of the time by sorting thru my 1000+ digital pics to pick out and arrange a scrapbook for my cabinmate and read the Sunday local paper...the only downside is the expensive airport food...so I fuel up heavy on the ship with breakfast on the lido deck

It's always fun to people watch in the gate area when cruisers are flying to and coming home from their cruise...I can spot first timers going and those that did not enjoy their cruise coming home
Old November 14th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Admiral

If we have a late flight we usually hang out on the lido deck until they are about ready to kick us off the ship. I am never in a hurry to sit at a crowded airport.

Our last Ft. Lauderdale cruise we did the luggage express thing and then had a nice time at the beach including lunch. Then we took a cab to the airport to begin the long journey home.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old November 15th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
CQ...I had a nice chat with the Detroit Ballroom Dancing instructor(Mr Smooth, google him)and shared with him that if he ever does his group cruise out of your area, he should hire you as an assistant dance instructor in return for a free cabin
Venice you can tell Mr. Smooth that I would be delighted to be his Assistant and am available to cruise at anytime...

Oasis and Allure have the best debarkation I had a 9:40 am flight and had no problem making it even had time to kill....next Oasis cruise I will book a 9am flight.

Next cruise is out of Port Canaveral. I have never cruised out of that port and hear it's not that close to the airport so booked a 2:15 flight. I hope it's not too much people watching at the airport.

Carnival Breeze had a 6:00pm flight now that was torture waiting around for 8 hours.

Not a fan of waiting around at the airport for a flight...

Looking forward to the Quantum.....Drive, Park and Cruise

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old November 15th, 2013, 09:04 AM
First Mate

We always stay another night. That way we can spend another day at the beach, shop or go sightseeing. Then the next day we can arrive at the airport at the proper time. To me spending hours at the airport is just not how I want to end a great vacation.
Old November 15th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Excellent point about spending another night...I had forgotten that Monday was a holiday (Veterans Day) and Southwest was offering volunteers who gave up their seat $300 travel credits..they could not get us home until midnight via a connection or the next day on the morning non stop...I was tired and had a ride arranged so I did not take it..wonder if they would have thrown in a hotel voucher at the airport
Next year I will be prepared to give up my seat
Old November 15th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Admiral

CQ..it is a long ride from Port Canaveral to MCO airport, so you are wise to book an early afternoon flight, just to have a "comfort buffer"

Mr Smooth's next Detroit Urban Ballroom Dance Group cruise is on the Carnival Glory May 11th-18th out of Miami..last year out of New Orleans he had 800 in his group..his classes on our Capital Jazz SuperCruise were packed every morning and every night the atrium was packed from midnight till 3 am with couples dancing

The popularity of shows like Dancing With The Stars, have no doubted fueled the interest in ballroom dancing on cruise ships...couples hand dancing is coming back into style

CQ..if he shows up in the NYC area, I will let you know
Old November 15th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen View Post

Looking forward to the Quantum.....Drive, Park and Cruise
I also love to Drive, Park and Cruise.

We will be doing that on our next cruise.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old November 15th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
CQ..it is a long ride from Port Canaveral to MCO airport, so you are wise to book an early afternoon flight, just to have a "comfort buffer"

Mr Smooth's next Detroit Urban Ballroom Dance Group cruise is on the Carnival Glory May 11th-18th out of Miami..last year out of New Orleans he had 800 in his group..his classes on our Capital Jazz SuperCruise were packed every morning and every night the atrium was packed from midnight till 3 am with couples dancing

The popularity of shows like Dancing With The Stars, have no doubted fueled the interest in ballroom dancing on cruise ships...couples hand dancing is coming back into style

CQ..if he shows up in the NYC area, I will let you know
Yes for a port I've never cruised from before I like the "comfort buffer".

Mr. Smooth should do a ballroom dance cruise on Quantum...

and yes you are sooooo right the dancing shows did fuel interest in ballroom dancing on both ships and land...

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old November 15th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Admiral

CQ...you were not even born, back in the 70's when Saturday Night Fever fueled a dance rage, and you were just entering into pampers in the 80's when. Flashdance &Dirty Dancing were. tearing up the dance floor.I still recall being on the Norway, when the ship's professional dance couple had to switch from teaching the Tango to teaching the Hustle to the cruisers who were mostly retirees...us young folks went to the secret crew parties next to the engine roomto Dirty Dance...you would have fit right in

DWTS is nice, but it is so intricate, that regular couples cannot hope to emulate it on a cruise...Mr Smooth is such a great teacher for Detroit Ballroom & Step Class, you can learn the basics in his morning class and lookin the atrium at night

What we really need is another blockbuster dance movie filmed onboard the Allure with the story line of a young innocent working woman by day from New Jersey, Salsa Queen club dancer at night, goes on a cruise on the Allure and is spotted dancing in the disco by Johnny Depp, they enter the DWTS at Sea contest, win., fall in love and get married in the onboard Chapel and retires to a villa in the South of France...hmmmmm who could play that female lead