CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Fado in Lisbon (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/399866-fado-lisbon.html)

AnnaBridges November 14th, 2013 01:44 PM

Fado in Lisbon

Hello cruisers,
I am soon going for my first cruise and I will have a stop in Lisbon.
I really enjoy Fado and want to have the chance to listen to it live!
My thing is: I have done some research and could not find any place that provides some fado (even without food) during the day. Most of them have dinner and fado at 7 pm or so...
I am staying in Lisbon only a few hours leaving again at 6pm... :(
Where can I experience some fado before this?
Even in the morning will be ok - regarding the singer is not still sleeping. :) :)
Thanks!
I can't wait for my cruise! Sooo excited!

venice November 14th, 2013 02:05 PM

I would suggest contacting the cruise line that you are sailing on to see if they can make suggestions...you can always speak with the CD once onboard or I am sure your cabin steward or dining room staff knows a cruie member that is from the Lisbon area that can help

I had never heard of Fado prior to your posting and found it on YouTube...thanks for introducing me to it

Have a great first cruise

AR November 14th, 2013 03:10 PM

Way back when (October 1988) Terry was finishing up a trade mission in Lisbon, and since it was her birthday I ran over to celebrate and to spend a week or so in Portugal with her after she finished her work. It was her second trip there, my first, and she was excited for us to go to a Fado restaurant that she'd been to before on recommendation of the US Embassy staff. It was a memorable night. This is really a unique form of entertainment and the place we went (can't remember the name) was just excellent. The food was "Portugese peasant" (chicken in a pot) and I still reflect on it fondly.

Since then, I have made cursory inquiries whenever we've stopped there on cruises to see if there was any daytime Fado, but the answer has always been no. It is culturally very much a nighttime thing, as you can imagine since you know the music. And of course the locals come out in droves for it, everybody has favorite singers whom they follow like rock stars. The night we went, at a particularly emotional moment in one woman's song, a fan near us stood up, held out his hands and yelled, "Oh, LENA!!!" I think he had a "religious" experience. We learned that the most popular performers actually sing at up to five different restaurants each night. There's a complex schedule, and they really get around.

But of course I'm not saying that I'm certain that a daytime performance doesn't exist. There could be some tourist version somewhere in the city, but nobody I've ever asked has known about it.

Unfortunately, this is one of the big disadvantages of most cruises: you have no opportunity to sample the nightlife.

AnnaBridges November 14th, 2013 03:30 PM

Ohhh, Thank you very much for your reply.
I kind of imagined that, it would be strange daytime listening to those amazing songs I guess...
I will try to find out something at least similar and if I do I will post it here.
Well.... in the meantime I will buy some CD to listen on board... :(

venice November 14th, 2013 06:19 PM

Every New Orleans musician I know may work at night but loves to eat in the afternoon....you might email your favorite Faldo musician and see if they would join you for a late lunch while your ship is in port

katlady November 15th, 2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1489267)
I would suggest contacting the cruise line that you are sailing on to see if they can make suggestions...you can always speak with the CD once onboard or I am sure your cabin steward or dining room staff knows a cruie member that is from the Lisbon area that can help

I had never heard of Fado prior to your posting and found it on YouTube...thanks for introducing me to it

Have a great first cruise

You NEVER heard of FADO that will not do.:shock: One of the best fado singers I had heard is Mariza. Fado is the Portugese verison of soulful sad blues type song. A Fado singer has to revoke pain through her voice it's amazing. We have a large Portuguese community in California. But I hear the Fado live at night in Lisboa when I was eighteen years old. Cristina Branco is another favorite of mine I used her music behind my pictures of Portugal. Both videos are below. Mariza is pure power and Cristina Branco is soft and pretty. Both invoke emotion.

katlady November 15th, 2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaBridges (Post 1489263)
Hello cruisers,
I am soon going for my first cruise and I will have a stop in Lisbon.
I really enjoy Fado and want to have the chance to listen to it live!
My thing is: I have done some research and could not find any place that provides some fado (even without food) during the day. Most of them have dinner and fado at 7 pm or so...
I am staying in Lisbon only a few hours leaving again at 6pm... :(
Where can I experience some fado before this?
Even in the morning will be ok - regarding the singer is not still sleeping. :) :)
Thanks!
I can't wait for my cruise! Sooo excited!

I wish I had the answer for you. Sadly AR is correct most fado happens at night. Your best bet is the Museu do Fado they are opened during the day but I don't know if they do the music you can e-mail and check with them. I haven't been here so I can't say how good it is. Here is a link. Museu do Fado - Home Here is also a link to a guide of Fado in Lisbon this lists the different places to listen to Fado. Good Luck and Fado: A guide to Lisbon?s very own musical genre | Portugal Daily View
Oh one final tip is you like fish and they have Espada get that. Trust me you can only get this fish in Portugal and it's wonderful. Are you stopping at any of the islands? My dad is from Madeira Island.
T
em um cruzeiro agradável e desfrutar de Lisboa.:mrgreen:

AnnaBridges November 15th, 2013 06:10 AM

Thank you all for the replies. :)
I am doing some more research about this and will try as hard I a can to get even one live fado song.
I already sent an email to casa do fado and waiting for a reply.
Museu do fado is for sure in my to-do list in Lisbon!
Almost boarding! Wow! :-P

Manuel November 15th, 2013 06:41 AM

Thank you for your post Kat.

I love to hear Mariza sing. There are many others that I listen to but she is tops these days.
I also live in a town that has many Portuguese people and once in a while our club does have some Fado singers perform.

Anna, you will have to take a vacation in Portugal to really enjoy the city of Lisbon and the Fado.

TM

venice November 15th, 2013 07:06 AM

Kat....I depend on my CruiseMates to educated my musical palate, so thank you for living up to that expecctationroflrofl
I'm going to inquire if Faldo is represented at our annual New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival next spring

AnnaBridges November 15th, 2013 07:21 AM

Yes, Mariza is simply breathtaking!
I wish I knew what she's saying....

katlady November 15th, 2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1489317)
Kat....I depend on my CruiseMates to educated my musical palate, so thank you for living up to that expecctationroflrofl
I'm going to inquire if Faldo is represented at our annual New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival next spring

You misspelled Fado this is very upsetting to me. ;)First you don't know what it is then you misspell the 4 letter word. Don't make me come down there and steal your thanksgiving left overs.:twisted: I have southwest rewards points and I'm not afraid to use them!

katlady November 15th, 2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel (Post 1489313)
Thank you for your post Kat.

I love to hear Mariza sing. There are many others that I listen to but she is tops these days.
I also live in a town that has many Portuguese people and once in a while our club does have some Fado singers perform.

Anna, you will have to take a vacation in Portugal to really enjoy the city of Lisbon and the Fado.

TM

She came into town and my parent went to see her I wish I had too. David Letterman is funny in that tape because he is kind of goofy at the beginning. But then she sings and you can tell he is blown away by her voice. I think a lot of the 'singers' he gets aren't used to performing live. They had backing tracks they sing too and it's now the same. A fado singer does live performance is small venues. So they have to be able to perform live without backing track sometimes without anything but there voices. It's amazing to see in person.

Manuel November 15th, 2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1489317)

Fado is not that kind of music. It is unique and would not do well with a Jazz Festival.

TM