CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (
-   -   7 vs 8 Day Cruise (

venice November 15th, 2013 01:34 PM

7 vs 8 Day Cruise
Which do you prefer...does that extra day add value to your overall vacation experience

thecruisequeen November 15th, 2013 02:33 PM

Yes the extra day is always better however did the Breeze on a 6 night cruise and did not really feel that it is a huge difference between a 6 night or 7 night. But I'll take the extra day onboard...:twisted::-P:p

canuckity November 15th, 2013 02:37 PM

8 days is better than 7. 10 days is better than 8 and 14 days is better than 10. The more days the better.:D

CruisinK n J November 15th, 2013 02:44 PM

7 vs 8 Day Cruise
With the exception of Los Angeles of Long Beach, for what it costs to fly to a port these days, a cruise has to be ten or twelve days to justify the cost of travel to the port.

Judy November 15th, 2013 04:17 PM

I'm with others; longer is better!

We've gotten so we much prefer 10 to 12 day cruises over 7 day cruises anytime.

But as with anything else, it usually comes down to money. So my advice is always to look at the cost per day to see which offers a better deal and then do your budget accordingly.

Trip November 15th, 2013 04:24 PM

I did an 8,and was thrilled to have an extra day, over my usual Med cruise was 9 days,and in I wished it was longer "there" to see more. In general I am happy with a 7 dayer.....not sure I would be happy on extremely long cruises.

rollerdonna November 15th, 2013 05:28 PM

Anything 7 days or more is fine with me. I agree, airfare to the ports fro where we live, anything less than 7 days makes no sense.

skymaster November 16th, 2013 08:54 AM

HMMM,,,That's kind of like asking if you want one scoop of ice cream, or two? No brainer IMO. :roll:

AR November 16th, 2013 12:10 PM

Looking back at our cruise history, there were a number of 7 day cruises and just one 8 day. I can't remember that the 8 day had any particular added benefit beyond, as they say in Les Mis. . ."one day more."

There is, in my view, a major sea change (sorry) once you break the 10 day barrier. Most of our cruises now are 12 to 16 days, including frequent crossings, and we find them generally much more rewarding. It's not only the extra time onboard. There's usually an entirely different vibe on longer runs, and I think there are a number of reasons why.

Subjective view of course. Your experience may vary.

venice November 16th, 2013 12:24 PM

For our Jazz charter, 8 days means an extra sea day full of music..I miss 2 Sundays of Church, travel to the ship Friday morning and attend the pre cruise party at the host hotel Friday night which really means it's a 9 day cruise

For some reason doing a 10 day or longer cruise has never appealed to me nor does an ocean crossing journey..not sure why except I would become restless

Manuel November 16th, 2013 01:00 PM

If it's on the right ship with the itinerary that I like 7 or 8 days does not make much difference.

mehawk November 17th, 2013 08:19 AM

The cruise is what you make of it. I have experienced all from 3 days to 8 days and there are all great! Galveston offers the 4, 5 and 7 day cruises so 8 days are not there. Being in Houston, we leave out of Galveston for the most part. Flying is outrageous in price. Even driving to New Orleans is not cost efficient. NO is about $20 - 40 less PP but by the time I add in $200 for gasoline, another $100 for eating along the way... not worth it. Galveston for us always. 50 miles away and right onto the ship.

venice November 17th, 2013 02:18 PM

Carnival moved the Conquest to Galveston right after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and we drove over in November 2005 to catch our Smooth Jazz Cruise...everyone in the City and Port of Galveston were so nice to us when they found out we were from New Orleans

Very easy port to cruise from

ship2shore November 18th, 2013 04:18 AM

8 days is always a nice bonus. We usually do back-to-back (not this year) due to airfare costs, so an 8-day alone is normally still too short for us.
This year, however, the extra day would be amazing.

venice November 18th, 2013 05:37 AM

Soooooo....the 8th day is worth the extra $$$$$$$

ship2shore November 19th, 2013 12:02 AM

Sometimes, compared to other 7-day cruises, it isn't even any extra $$$$

So ... Bonu$ Bonu$ Bonu$

Moiraine November 19th, 2013 11:18 AM

I've never done an 8 day cruise, only 7 and 10. All I can say is longer is better.

katlady November 19th, 2013 11:50 AM

I might be a wee bit obsessive. Meaning I run a cost anaylsis on cruises. Normally I run 6 different cruises through my spreadsheet and do cost comparision. The eight day is cheaper per night cost. This include pet sitting etc. So from a cost stand point eight days maybe slightly more expensive but it's a better value.

14 day was my longest and favorite. After seven days you realize you have another seven it's awesome. People have said don't you get sick of being on the ship. No why the heck would I get sick of someone cleaning my room, making all my meals and having wonderful nightly entertainment.:?: People confuse me.LOL The 4 days are my least favorite. I just learn the ship and they toss me off. How is that fair?:(

venice November 19th, 2013 12:15 PM

We all were under the impression that your Hubby did all those things (cleaning, cooking etc) at home for you why should a 14 day cruise be different :confused:

Paul Motter November 20th, 2013 09:10 AM

I am taking an 8-day cruise on Breeze next week. I will let you know.

I also think it is funny how some 7-day cruises feel like 2 weeks (because you do so much) or even some 5-day cruises feel like a week (like our Oasis of the Seas cruise). But 7 days cruises are over before you know it.

Airfare is getting to be a real cost factor. I used to be able to find flights to Miami for $300, now it is $650. Terrible.