Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Default 2 NFL. Viewing Habit Questions???

Since Hurricane Isaac (last year August),when we lost cable service for 2 weeks, I have listen to all of our Saints games on the radio and not watch the game on tv by choice...we are Blessed with excellent announcers who challenge both my listening skills and make my brain cells work overtime to visualize in my mind what is being described...I actually enjoy my radio on Sundays...my first question is how often do you listen to a sporting event on the radio and not watch it on tv?

When you are at sea on your cruise, do you watch your NFL team in your cabin, ship's sports bar or the big screen on the lido deck? Or, you could care less because for at least one week, you have other cruise activities that you would prefer to do

I have not been on a regular cruise for over 8 years...on our Smooth Jazz charters we have a huge tailgate party on deck with a big name old school artist performing,everyone wears their favorite NFL Jerseys, we have a deck bbq party,,,it's a big deal...is it a big deal on a regular cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Admiral

I get NFL Sunday Ticket every year (I was a charter subscriber) so I am watching the games on TV.

On a cruise, if the NFL (or Alabama) games are on I prefer to go to the sports bar, or even better the pool deck if they show the game on the big screen. I'm not going to sit in my cabin watching TV.

The NFL is important to me, as is SEC football, so I am going to take the time to watch it on a cruise. Even on the Rock Legends cruises they show the games and the bar is packed.
Old November 18th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Admiral

Our last cruise was during the Colts bye week. But I am willing to give sports a vacation when I am away.i

I grow up listening to a lot of sports on radio. We still only see The Indy 500 on tape delay. So I always listen to it on radio.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old November 18th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Admiral

I agree with Bob, I began to listen to baseball on the radio in the evenings during the '60s because it was on tv only on Saturday. I watch many of the sports games on tv now because I cannot hear very well. When on a cruise, I realize that sports as Americans know them are not well reported so I resign myself to not worry about scores until I return.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 18th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Admiral

Football is a big nothing to me, so I generally don't watch or listen. In college, our school never won, but we went to the games anyway. We went mostly for the purpose of sneaking in flasks, getting half looped, and laughing a lot. We had a standard cheer when the other team scored: "So you scored a touchdown, what's the fuss? In a coupla years you'll be workin' for us!"

Baseball is a game that should either been seen in person or listened to on the radio, although I do appreciate the technical enrichment that modern TV technology brings to the game. I began listening to Red Barber, then Vin Scully on the radio in New York when I was a kid. I loved to listen to Ernie Harwell when I visited Detroit (or could pick up WJR on a starry night when I was somewhere else), and Harry Caray when I was at college in Chicago. I actually got to speak with Ernie at a Smithsonian baseball seminar later in his life and to thank him for being such a gracious part of my summer soundtrack.

More recently, I've always enjoyed Jon Miller on the radio as well as the late Chuck ("ain't the beer cold?") Thompson.

Vin is still with us, has just signed a new contract. I first heard him in 1951. I still get goosebumps when I hear his voice.
Old November 19th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Go Raiders! So happy when my hubby's team the 49ers lost and my team the Raiders won. That hardly ever happens. I normally watch on TV. If my team starting playing bad I might get up and work on a quilt. I get a lot of sewing done when the Raiders play. I can still hear the game so it's like radio sort of. On a cruise sports bar all the way. The other fans cheering or booing the teams makes it more fun.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 19th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Kat....I love the Oakland Raiders...one of my most prized article of clothing is my Raider jacket from the 70's...needless to say, I was not well received when I wore it to a NO Saints game

On our Jazz cruise, many of the cruisers are from the DC area, huge Redskins fans...whenever a Dallas Cowboy fan walks by, they throw popcorn at them
Old November 20th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Admiral

My hubby is a 49ers fan so we get a look when I wear my Raiders shirt and Mike wears 49ers. We went to the Raider VS Redskins game I was surprised how many Redskin fans were at the game. Next game we are going to is Denver VS Raiders. I need a hex to put on Denver.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994