CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Is It Really 9 or 7.5 (8 or 6.5) (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/399910-really-9-7-5-8-6-5-a.html)

venice November 18th, 2013 06:15 AM

Is It Really 9 or 7.5 (8 or 6.5)

Overheard an interesting chat during my airport wait for my flight back to New Orleans between a Dad and his teenage first time cruising daughter on the Oasis of the Seas...for veteran old timersI think there is great value to engage in conversation with first timers who are teenagers to keep us grounded in our fervor for the cruise experience..I also believe Dad's should come to each other aid when dealing with teenage logicrofl
Her point to her Dad was the first day of a cruise (embarkation) was really only 1/2 a day and the last day (disembarkation) really should not count..thus an advertised 8 day cruise. on the Oasis or Carnival. Freedom (Saturday to the following week Sunday) is really a 9 day - 1.5 day lost =7.5 days of actually cruising on the ship on the water...both her Dad and I recognized that in her terms, roflcruise daysrofl is really roflmeeting new boys timerofl
Cannot challenge her logicrofl
I have always believed that a cruise really starts the night before you leave for the airport and ends when you walk into your home and put your bags down in the middle. of the living room and your neighbor brings over your mail
When does your cruise start and end

green_rd November 18th, 2013 06:54 AM

Can't debate her logic too much. Disembarkation day barely counts.

I think most listing advertise a certain number of nights rather than days. This could be the reason. Some itineraries list embarkation day as Day 0.

skymaster November 18th, 2013 09:07 AM

I don't count the last day as part of the cruise at all, as I get up EARLY, and depart the ship, so for me, a seven day cruise is 6 1/2. A five day is 4 1/2, etc. First day is usually lots of fun for me, as I always enjoy getting aboard the ship, and seeing who's aboard that I know. :cool:

"SKY"

Donna November 18th, 2013 09:11 AM

I would count the first day as a half for sure and not even include the last day, since you are basically getting off the ship.....I agree, they count the nights as the length of the cruise.

seadog2 November 18th, 2013 11:59 AM

Yes, I believe the cruiselines count nights and not days. My cruise begins when I first step onto the ship. Everything else I consider as travel time.

venice November 18th, 2013 02:32 PM

Great points and I agree roflout of the mouth of young babesrofl

In thinking thru the logic, I think because I do full music charters, I view cruises in a different light then a normal cruise (that plus I am getting old)...because about 75% of the Capital Jazz SuperCruisers are repeat cruisers, relationships have been formed, so my cruise really starts at the departing City airport gate area...where I will see 20-30 folks from last year's cruise plus we will :cool:attract:cool:all of the first time SuperCruisers (they notice our teeshirts from last year)...there is a huge pre cruise party the night before at the host hotel and then the excitement of the check in process in the cruise terminal where everybody plays how many famous Jazz musicians can you spot while you are in line...on our return trip at the airport you can spot the music cruisers, we are all dead tiredroflrofl but very, very, very happy and still on a contact music high
My travel partners teenage daughters really were appreciative of their parents :mrgreen:forcing them:mrgreen:to go on theor first cruise, but being true teenagers, they would never admit it.....they were busy texting the cute boys they met on the ship

Surfguyxxx1 November 18th, 2013 05:01 PM

Quite the perspective; I whole heartedly agree with everyone about 1/2 days etc. Good luck having the cruise lines adopt that one though rofl
My cruise starts when I book because I'm constantly looking to see new things but begins when I leave for the port that morning!

mehawk November 19th, 2013 07:08 AM

A way to look at it is how many days do you get to eat while onboard? Those days count as a "day."

Donna November 19th, 2013 04:11 PM

Hi Mehawk,
I do like your thinking :-)