Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Admiral

Default Is It Really 9 or 7.5 (8 or 6.5)

Overheard an interesting chat during my airport wait for my flight back to New Orleans between a Dad and his teenage first time cruising daughter on the Oasis of the Seas...for veteran old timersI think there is great value to engage in conversation with first timers who are teenagers to keep us grounded in our fervor for the cruise experience..I also believe Dad's should come to each other aid when dealing with teenage logic
Her point to her Dad was the first day of a cruise (embarkation) was really only 1/2 a day and the last day (disembarkation) really should not count..thus an advertised 8 day cruise. on the Oasis or Carnival. Freedom (Saturday to the following week Sunday) is really a 9 day - 1.5 day lost =7.5 days of actually cruising on the ship on the water...both her Dad and I recognized that in her terms, cruise days is really meeting new boys time
Cannot challenge her logic
I have always believed that a cruise really starts the night before you leave for the airport and ends when you walk into your home and put your bags down in the middle. of the living room and your neighbor brings over your mail
When does your cruise start and end
Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Admiral

Can't debate her logic too much. Disembarkation day barely counts.

I think most listing advertise a certain number of nights rather than days. This could be the reason. Some itineraries list embarkation day as Day 0.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old November 18th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Admiral

I don't count the last day as part of the cruise at all, as I get up EARLY, and depart the ship, so for me, a seven day cruise is 6 1/2. A five day is 4 1/2, etc. First day is usually lots of fun for me, as I always enjoy getting aboard the ship, and seeing who's aboard that I know.

"SKY"
Old November 18th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would count the first day as a half for sure and not even include the last day, since you are basically getting off the ship.....I agree, they count the nights as the length of the cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 18th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Yes, I believe the cruiselines count nights and not days. My cruise begins when I first step onto the ship. Everything else I consider as travel time.
Old November 18th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Great points and I agree out of the mouth of young babes

In thinking thru the logic, I think because I do full music charters, I view cruises in a different light then a normal cruise (that plus I am getting old)...because about 75% of the Capital Jazz SuperCruisers are repeat cruisers, relationships have been formed, so my cruise really starts at the departing City airport gate area...where I will see 20-30 folks from last year's cruise plus we will attractall of the first time SuperCruisers (they notice our teeshirts from last year)...there is a huge pre cruise party the night before at the host hotel and then the excitement of the check in process in the cruise terminal where everybody plays how many famous Jazz musicians can you spot while you are in line...on our return trip at the airport you can spot the music cruisers, we are all dead tired but very, very, very happy and still on a contact music high
My travel partners teenage daughters really were appreciative of their parents forcing themto go on theor first cruise, but being true teenagers, they would never admit it.....they were busy texting the cute boys they met on the ship
Old November 18th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Captain

Quite the perspective; I whole heartedly agree with everyone about 1/2 days etc. Good luck having the cruise lines adopt that one though
My cruise starts when I book because I'm constantly looking to see new things but begins when I leave for the port that morning!
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old November 19th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Admiral

A way to look at it is how many days do you get to eat while onboard? Those days count as a "day."

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 19th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Mehawk,
I do like your thinking :-)

Message Boards Moderator