Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 24th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Default Wurlitzer Jukebox!!!!

My friends who went on the Malt Shop Memories Cruise this year tell me there was an authenic 1950 Wurltizer Jukebox floor model) in the atrium....I have my Sunday morning after Church Brunch in a 1930 Roadside Diner (where the Halle Berry movie Monster Ball was filmed) and they have one also...I always wanted one for my home sound system...in doing online research, Gibson Guitar Company bought out the Company a few years ago and they now have digital CD/MP 3 state of the art technology models

I have about 500-45. rpm speed records ( in pristine condition) from the late 50's-60's that my Dad left me and now I play on my turntable thru my Magnavox hi-fi system, that I still have from the 60's...I want to load them in a Jukebox but want the advantage of my state of the art, high tech Bose surround sound system

I am not a fan of Ebay...two questions...do you know where I can find a Jukebox from the 50's-60's era......for those CM'ers old enough to remember, what was your favorite 45 played on the Jukebox?
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Admiral

I hope you can find a vintage juke box, as you'll find it to be VERY entertaining, and fun. IMO, NOTHING has the sound of the old tube type amps found in those old juke boxes.
I used to repair, and sometimes restore juke boxes, but that's been a long time ago. I still have an early '70's Rowe/AMI juke box on my back porch, and I too have hundreds of old 45's that I sometimes rotate through that box. Even the "title strips" are getting a bit difficult to find now. It's fun to walk up to that old box, and punch in A-12 and hear "Blue Monday" come belting out!

"SKY"
Old November 26th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Have you googled that? I would bet there's a company that specializes in refurbished old boxes. I would imagin their not cheap but it would be real cool to have one to spin your old records.
As for the malt shop cruise I would love to cruise on one...I would have to be a blast. I can still see my mom dancing ans singing around the house to the 50's & 60's hits when I was younger. The Book of Love was one of my favorites along with A white sport coat and a pink carnation ..... Or Sitting on the dock of the bay...watching the tide roll away....

Good luck.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

ALLURE OF THE SEAS FEB 2016.... Who's going with??
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old November 26th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Admiral

I'm really old school...I don't purchase items of great value over the internet...my best buddy Jule ( she loves flea markets and antique auctions and has a truck), and I have decided to take 1 day field trips to the really swamp back areas in Louisiana to find one...I asked at the 1930's diner what happens if the Jukebox needs service...they told me they send a " carrier pigeon " to Sky's house and he shows up to fix it

Aerogirl...this was my friends 1st MSM cruise and they were on "Cloud 9" and actually booked onboard to go next year..it just so happen that the MSM charter on HAL Eurodam overlapped with my Capital Jazz SuperCruise on the Carnival Freedom so while waiting for our flight back to New Orleans at the FLL airport, they put on a " Doo Wop" concert in the boarding area..I would strongly urge for you to go next year.? Remember, you only live once

My favorite songs of that era...Duke of Earl...The Wanderer...Tears On My Pillow...What Becomes Of A Broken Heart (just happen to have all of them on 45's)...I agree MP3's are inferior (because they compress) to vinyl..my Grandson thinks my 45's and albums are frisbee's
Old November 26th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Admiral

You don't have to buy over the Internet just google and find a business that refurbishes old boxes. There may be a place closer to you than you know. I would never make a big purchase on line either, I need to see & touch it before I shell out the $$$.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

ALLURE OF THE SEAS FEB 2016.... Who's going with??
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old November 26th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Sky refers obliquely to an important issue that you should keep in mind:

There is some danger in playing 45s, even if they're in great shape, through today's best digital systems. Well, not really danger, but these records were pressed with minimum quality control and, by today's standards, with outdated recording techniques. And of course, they're all mono, so surround systems won't give you any separation at all.

Point is, generally "yesterday's" amps and speakers will yield a more pleasant sound for "yesterday's" records. Newer systems have a habit of revealing too many inherent flaws.

Remastering is a different story, but 45s are still 45s, and as with ageing movie stars, you generally don't want to get too close.

Juke boxes are fun, though. Good luck.
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Admiral

AR...good point, thanks....I read in the back of Jazz Time magazine ads where they will convert my 45's and albums to digital then I can play on the state of the art Wurlitzer digital Jukeboxes

Aerogirl..thanks for your suggestion..my next trip to New Orleans I am visiting the Louisiana Music Factory which probably has the largest collection of45's, LP's and 78'S in the entire South...sure they can lead me in the right direction
Old November 27th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Admiral

I have one of the little 45 RPM, RCA record changers, also, from the 50's. My brother found it at a garage sale, and of course it didn't work. I was able to repair the amp in it, and it plays pretty good now. That too, is something you rarely see anymore. If I want to hear an old 45 that isn't in the juke box, I can just pop it on the RCA, and listen to it there. Doesn't sound nearly as good as the juke box, but at least I can enjoy it.

"SKY"
Old November 27th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Admiral

Times have changed alot..on the Capital Jazz SuperCruise the guest DJ's had all their music on a J drive that they plug into their laptop or pull from their Cloud system

I remember carrying cases of LP' in the back of my 1966 VW Squareback to a house party to help my buddy who was the DJ (got to meet girls that way)...if someone wanted a specific song off a specific album, we would have to search each carton...the speakers hung out the back of my squareback and I had to use rope to tie up the latch..now the speakers are so small I can place in the palm of my hand but they sound like a 20K concert system

To "scratch " a record these days has a whole different meaning then in my youth and I miss the creative album covers which I now frame as art work in my Great Room