Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Default Royal Princess Day 2, Oct. 30, 2013

Royal Princess Innaugural Caribbean, Oct. 29- Nov. 3,2013 Day 2, Princess Cays, Bahamas

Woke up early on our second day, and it looked like a wonderful weather day for visiting Princess Cays, with sunny skies and a high of 27C or 85F.

We met our friends Wendy and Steve for breakfast in the dining room, where a long row of waiters greeted us at the door. We felt like giving them all a "high five" as we passed by. There appeared to be more wait staff than passengers in the dining room, so breakfast service was attentive to every need. We had a nice table by the window where we could watch our approach to Princess Cays.

After a very nice breakfast, we collected our beach things and met in another dining room for the disembarkation procedure to tenders. The whole process was organized, orderly and efficient, and we were off by 9:30 and tendered to Princess Cays by 10:00. After docking on the island, we made our way over the footbridge to the right, rather than to the left as we usually do. The right side was just as beautiful, but a little less crowded and much more peaceful, further away from the bar music.

The first order of business for my friend Wendy and I was to try out my Dollar Store floats in the water!

I brought these with me from home; just a few minutes to blow them up and you have a fun little float to enjoy at the beach, then you squeeze all the airout and fold it up back in your bag for the next time. You can rent big floating mats on Princess Cays, but these are just as much fun, and much cheaper!

After spending some quality beach and water time, we headed for the big outdoor covered eating area where a fabulous BBQ buffet lunch is served. There are hamburgers, huge hot dogs, chicken and ribs, and selections of brown beans, potato salad, salad, corn, and fresh fruit for dessert.

The afternoon was spent much the same as the morning; beach, swimming, soaking up the sun, and taking pictures of one of my favourite islands.

The last tender was at 3:30 and there was a long line up. Water was handed out, and cold wet facecloths, to those waiting in line in the heat. A nice Princess service touch. I made it back on board for the 4:00 trivia game!

Dinner this night was "smart casual" and we made plans with our friends to share a bottle of champagne and some h'or d'oeurves in our cabin before dinner, to celebrate our much anticipated and long awaited cruise together.

Dinner was in the Symphony Dining Room, and we shared a table of 8 with 2 couples from Long Island. We all had a great time, and everyone had a great meal except me. It was Italian Night, and because of my gluten-free requirement, I was always given a menu choice the previous night so that they could prepare a gluten-free meal. As most of the choices were pasta, I had ordered Fettucine Alfredo (gluten-free) which turned out to be spaghetti, and either very over cooked or had just been sitting out too long, but it had the consistency of rubber bands and tasted just as bad. I didn't eat it, but I did enjoy the appetizers and the dessert!

After dinner, we wandered a bit, watching some of the entertainment, live music and dancing in the Piazza, and trying out the Internet Cafe on Deck 5. As Platinum passengers we were entitled to 150 minutes of free internet, so were able to keep in touch with the outside world.

We later headed to the Vista Lounge, Deck 7 aft, where headlining comedian Carlos Oscar had a show at 9:15. The Vista Lounge is a smaller venue than the Princess Theatre, and was another example of seriously flawed design. Seating consisted of rows of banked seats, with immovable pedestal glass tables in front of you for your drinks. This made it very hard to move down any of these rows to find a seat. Complicating matters were alternate rows of swivel bucket seats, which when moved back to access, abutted the glass tables and completely blocked off any access to the row seats. Again, poor design.

Nevertheless, the theatre was soon packed to standing room only for this very funny comedian. He puts on an excellent show, clean, without any bad language, and very entertaining. He certainly deserves the honour of being chosen as Princess Cruise Lines' "Entertainer of the Year."

And that ends Day 2 of this innaugural Caribbean cruise, it is off to bed and ready for a sea day tomorrow...

Last edited by rollerdonna; November 27th, 2013 at 03:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Captain

Rollerdonna> If you check your last photo, you will see a huge blue flying saucer attacked the ship after everyone went to bed...

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old November 27th, 2013, 12:51 AM
Admiral

Ha ha ha Ship2shore, it does look like it doesn't it? In reality, that is the lit- up underside of the Royal Princess' unprecedented "Sea Walk". More info on that to follow...

donna