Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 27th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Default Royal Princess, Day 4, Grand Turk

Royal PrincessInaugural Caribbean, Oct. 29-Nov.3, 2013

Day 4, Nov.1, Grand Turk

Today we visit another of my favourite islands, Grand Turk in the Turks and Caicos. Docked by 8 a.m. and off the ship by 8:30 a.m. we were anxious to visit the beautiful beach situated within walking distance of the pier.

But first we must pass through the Duty Free shop and into the town square shopping area where we were greeted by some creepy ghoulish creature hanging from a tree, and the Grim Reaper rasping death threats in the middle of the town square fountain which was spouting"blood". Apparently they take Halloween very seriously in Grand Turk!

Not much of a shopper, I sidestepped all of the souvenir, jewelry, and arts and crafts shops and headed straight for the beach. Since ours was the only ship in port that day, there were plenty of seats to be found.

We settled in for a relaxing morning onthe beach and in the water. My friend Wendy and I enjoyed my blow-up floats once again; the water was beautifully warm, and it was amazing being able to swim right there in the shadow of our magnificent ship.

Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville bar and resort was situated right behind us on the beach, and we were serenaded by wonderful Jimmy Buffet tunes from the bar all morning. A little bit of paradise!

After a quick trip back to the ship for lunch, we returned to Margaritaville for the afternoon. Designed much like a resort hotel, there is a large and very expensive gift shop, a long and winding swimming pool, a swim up bar, lounge chairs and umbrella tables, and of course,live DJ on Radio Margaritaville spinning tunes all day.
I usually get a frozen Margarita when I visit there, but on this day I tried something new called a Havana Banana,consisting of Bailey’s, Banana Liqueur, rum, and crushed ice blended into the most delicious frozen concoction. Yum!

With our friends Wendy and Steve, we spent most of the afternoon just chilling in the pool, sipping drinks, relaxing, dancing, and swimming. Margaritaville in Grand Turk is probably my favourite port stop on any cruise itinerary.

We were joined in the pool that day by a large group of Princess waiters who were enjoying a rare day off at a staff party to thank them for achieving a 100% mark for cleanliness and safety.

They were having a great time in the pool, at one point forming a conga line and swimming around the entire property singing and dancing!

After a lovely and relaxing day on Grand Turk, and one more Havana Banana than I should have had, I needed a nap before dinner.

Dinner on this night was in the Symphony Dining Room, and the theme was “Chef’s Choice”. I have to say that the Chef’s choice was a little too fancy for my taste, and not much appealed, but I did manage to enjoy a “trilogy” of lamb, veal and chicken kebobs, while James had scallops which he enjoyed. I also tried peanut butter and chocolate ice cream for dessert, but it was not as good as it sounded.

Right after dinner, at 7:45 was the Captain’s Cocktail Party for Platinum passengers in the Vista Lounge. There was live music, a very good singer, dancing, free drinks, and h’or d’oeuvres which we were too full to sample. We had a very nice chat with Captain Tony Draper,who James had watched many times on videos promoting the new Royal Princess,and he was thrilled to meet him.

We also talked to another officer named Dennis who confided to us that he was married to Sam the cruise director, and that led to a lengthy discussion of Wales where both Sam and James are originally from.

There followed an awarding of gifts to the top 3 most travelled passengers, and a thank you all of us for choosing Princess.
It was a very nice party and we enjoyed ourselves.

After the cocktail party, it was a rather dull evening for entertainment; not much appealed to us. We decided to try the“ Hot Latin Nites Deck Party” on the pool deck at 9:30, because usually those outdoor theme nights are a lot of fun. Not this time.

When we arrived, there was recorded music playing, and many people sitting around waiting for the party to start. Finally at 9:55 the entertainment staff showed up, and the pool band “The Volume” took the stage and pumped up the volume.

Dancing took place on the raised area between the pools (fountains shut off) and the staff led the guests in a series of line dances, salsa, merengue, etc.

We were not enjoying the style of music,or dancing, so we left them to it and opted for a quiet cup of tea in the Horizon Bistro, then off to bed. Good night Grand Turk, until next time!

Last edited by rollerdonna; November 27th, 2013 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Admiral

I must apologize for the small size of the font in this review. Despite the fact I originally typed it in large font, copied and pasted it in here large, as soon as it posts, it goes tiny again and I don't know why. I tried the edit button, but there is no choice for font size in the edit. It also tends to make words allruntogetherlikethis, so I have to go back and separate them. Again, apologies if I miss any. Does anybody at CM know how to remedy this? I know it is very hard to read being so small.

donna

Last edited by rollerdonna; November 28th, 2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old November 27th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Captain

Perhaps when you edit, select "Go Advanced" and you might have more control. You get the full menu that way.

Why you should never follow a penguin underwater