Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 28th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Default Royal Princess, Day 5, Sea Day

Royal Princess Inaugural Caribbean, Oct.29-Nov. 3, 2013

Day 5, Sea Day

It must have rained overnight at sea because when I got up around 7:30 a.m. there was the most beautiful rainbow in the distance in front of the ship.

Since the photo shows a view of the new Princess “Seawalk”, I should share with you my impressions of the much hyped and anticipated architectural wonder.

I honestly thought I would be afraid to step out onto the Seawalk; the thought of walking on a glass floor 16 stories above the sea was a little nerve wracking. After all, I was never able to step onto the glass floor at the top of the CN Tower in Toronto. However, when I first saw the Seawalk, it was situated on the pool deck, curving out behind the Seaview Bar, and next to the glass windows that ran all along the deck. The floor was separated into square “windows” which rather than affording a frightening view of the sea, offered more of a view of a deck several floors below, and a glimpse onto many many private balconies. Needless to say, I was not overly impressed with the Seawalk, and was glad my balcony was not below it.

This sea day was particularly hot and humid, and our early morning attempt to walk a few laps of the jogging track left us wilting in the heat and searching for a shady spot by the pool for most of the morning.

Trivia, and a quick visit to the big clearance sale in the dining room gave me a welcome break from the heat, but there were no interesting bargains to be found; truthfully, a lot of junky stuff and souvenirs from the Mediterranean cruise that did not interest me.

James and I were hoping for another British Pub lunch in the Wheelhouse Bar, since it was a sea day, but alas, the second disappointment of the day, no lunch. We opted instead for the Concerto Dining Room, where we shared a table and great conversation with several seasoned cruisers, and every one of them voiced their opinion about the infamous toilet roll holder!

After a relaxing afternoon reading on the pool deck and swimming in the pool, it was time to eat again! Since it was the last night on board for our friends Wendy and Steve, we joined them for dinner in the Horizon Court. Despite the fact that it is a buffet style eatery, the food was always good, choices plentiful,and service wonderful if you needed a drink or a coffee, or your table cleared.

The four of us decided to go see an early show in the Vista Lounge that evening, a singer we had never heard of, and had no idea what his style was, but we were pleasantly surprised. His name was Mark Preston, formerly with the Lettermen,but an artist in his own right, having made a career singing the crooner classics in Vegas and on cruise ships. The man had the best stage presence, personality, and a wonderful voice, and we thoroughly enjoyed the show. My friend Wendy had her picture taken with him when she bought his CD.

Our friends went off to bed early nursing head colds, but we stayed up for Show Time in the Princess Theatre, and were glad we did. One of their big production numbers of the week called “Colors of the World” was a fabulous musical and visual tour around the world, featuring talented singers and dancers, great music, costumes and incredible visual effects. Two really good shows in one evening!

When the show ended at 11:00 we were hungry, and discovered that the Horizon Court was closed. We were directed to Deck 5 Piazza area where the International Café was located.

All week we had assumed it was an extra cost venue, and this was true for the specialty coffee, but the sandwiches and delectable desserts were free. We chose a sandwich for James and a delicious Waldorf salad with chicken and cashews for me, and we sat in the Piazza listening to “The Volume” play and watching the dancers. There was an elderly couple dancing quite energetically,and for the last slow number, the band said a fond goodbye to them on this last night of the cruise, because apparently the couple had been dancing to their music every night since the ship had sailed from the Mediterranean. It was wonderful to see them enjoying this last dance in each others’ arms.

We finally went off to bed around 12:30 a.m. although there were still quite a few people out and about, enjoying this last evening on board.
Tomorrow, we experience our first "back to back"!

Last edited by rollerdonna; November 28th, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

That salad sounds delicious! Glad you had more time to dine there again....I have to ask....did all the people who didn't like the tp location, just whip it off and put it on the counter?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; November 29th, 2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old November 28th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Admiral

Thumbs up Mark Preston

We enjoyed Mark Preston's singing on Celebrity ships several years ago. We bought his CD at the time and have wondered where he has been these days. Glad you liked him too. Hope he will be on the ship when we get there this week. Your review and photos are terrific. Thanks for sharing.
Cindy
Old November 29th, 2013, 01:37 AM
Admiral

@Trip, yes, everyone said they put their tp on the counter, and they all reported that their room steward kept putting it back where it belonged!
@ Cindy, yes, I read up on Mark Preston when I got home and I see he alternates between Celebrity and Princess. I hope I get to see him again sometime, he was most enjoyable.

donna