Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 30th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Default Royal Princess, Week 2, Day 2, Sea Day

Royal Princess Week2, Day 2 At Sea

Sunday Nov. 4, 2013

This first sea day was the day we were supposed to be at Princess Cays, and unfortunately the weather added to the disappointment of not going there. It was gray and very windy, and there were sudden downpours all morning, making the pool deck very slippery. We tried to sit outside under cover of the overhang, but the wind and rain managed to get us anyway so we retreated indoors for some trivia and wandering around the ship, stopping for a short while in the very tiny library.

At this point I would like to share some photos I took of a few things of interest on board the Royal Princess. First of all, the Godmother who christened the ship was none other than Kate Middleton, wife of Prince William. On Deck 5, near the passenger services desk were two displays; one, a beautiful photo of Kate with a fresh flower arrangement, and the other, photos of the christening ceremony with Captain Tony Draper, and the actual dress Kate wore at the event. It is a maternity dress, as she was still pregnant with Prince George at the time.

The other things I found interesting on the ship were what I call the "carpet quotes". These were travel quotes printed right on the carpets inside the elevators, a different one in each elevator. On the rare occasions when there was just the two of us in an elevator, I managed to take a photo of some of these quotes.

At lunch time, we went to the Concerto dining room where we shared a table with two gay men traveling with their mothers, and a couple from New York.There was lively conversation all around, and yes, again about the toilet roll holder!

However, during the meal I noticed that James was uncharacteristically quiet, was not eating much, and he was shaking. I asked him if he was alright,and he said no, he wasn't feeling well and was very cold. Thinking he was coming down with the cold that our friends had before they left, or perhaps the flu, I gave him some Tylenol cold medicine and sent him off to bed. By the time he got into bed, he had fever, aches, and chills so bad he was shaking. He insisted he would be all right after a little nap, so I left him to sleep.

I spent the afternoon indoors because of the weather, playing trivia, and attending afternoon tea in the Concerto dining room by myself. The sandwiches and desserts looked delightful, but there was nothing I could eat. I asked if there was anything gluten-free and the waiter brought me a blueberry and cream parfait dessert that was just scrumptious!

Following tea, the sun came out for awhile, so I sat out by the pool reading. I noted that the volume of the recorded music and the movie had been lowered. I had gone to the passenger service desk at the end of the first week and made a complaint about the high decibel of noise on the pool deck, and it seemed that they actually took notice.

This was to be a formal night for dinner, but James slept right through until 6:00, and still wasn't feeling well, so we skipped formal night, and missed the Champagne Waterfall again. (last week we had been having dinner at the time and missed it). I made several trips up and down the elevator, bringing food from the Horizon Court; James wanted no more than soup and tea,but I had a good meal, and we spent the evening in the cabin watching some very good movies on TV.

He was asleep again before 10:00, still with fever, chills, and an oddly burning painful left leg. He agreed to let me take him to the medical clinic first thing in the morning. Our relaxing holiday was about to change...

Last edited by rollerdonna; November 30th, 2013 at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2013, 04:07 PM
First Mate

I'm enjoying your review and pictures!