Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 30th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Default Royal Princess Week 2, Day 4, St. Maarten

Royal Princess Week 2, Day 4, St. Maarten

Wednesday Nov. 6, 2013

We docked in St. Maarten by 7:30 a.m. and joining us in port were 5 other ships; Holland America's Westerdam and Eurodam, Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas, Carnival's Dream, and the Norwegian Sun. It was going to be a crowded day in port!

James thought he felt well enough to go to Horizon Court for breakfast, but then found he really wasn't hungry, and by the time we got up there and back,his leg was swollen and painful again. We went back to the hospital for 8:30, where he got another I.V. of antibiotics, another injection of blood thinner and another blood test, which showed his white cell count down to 15 from 22, so the infection was responding to the drugs.

He was given the option of getting off the ship and going to a hospital for an ultrasound, but he chose not to, mainly because our trip insurance only covers treatment on the ship. So the doctor insisted he not walk anywhere today, but go back to bed and rest, keeping that leg elevated, and suggested putting a lifejacket under the end of the mattress to do so.

I needed to go into port to try and get my glasses fixed, so before I left, I got James seated comfortably back on the balcony in the shade, leg up on the table, cold towel on his leg, video camera in hand so he could film all the other ships and me down below! (you can see him on the middle balcony, filming.)

I did not last long on St. Maarten, it was hot and humid and there were over 10,000 people on the island from all those ships, it was crazy crowded everywhere I went.

So I went back to the cabin to cool off, got James inside in the air conditioning, refreshed his cold towel, and made sure he had something to eat and drink, then decided to try the Retreat pool today. Thankfully, with most passengers off the ship for the day, it was almost empty up at the Retreat on Deck 17, and it was easy to find a chair, some ice water from the bar, and the pool was lovely and cool.

After checking on the patient again and bringing him a light lunch and settling him comfortably for an afternoon of in-cabin movies, I returned to the Retreat pool for a quiet and relaxing afternoon in the sun.

On this evening, a group called the Beatlemaniacs were playing in the Princess Theatre, and having seen them on a previous cruise, we did not want to miss their show, they are FAB!

James managed to hobble his way to the theatre to see the show which he thoroughly enjoyed, then hobbled back to the cabin where I brought us some dinner from the Horizon Court. Yes I know there is room service, and we did use it once or twice, but the menu is limited, and I prefered going up to the buffet and choosing for us, because James really didn't have much of an appetite, and I did!

As we left St. Maarten that evening I got some shots of the other ships leaving port with us, all lit up as we sailed away...

Again, we spent the rest of the evening propped up in bed, watching movies.We joked that we watched more movies in that one week than we had seen in the past few years, but thank goodness they were available because they helped make a difficult situation more bearable.

Good bye St. Maarten, and we're off to St. Thomas tomorrow!

Last edited by rollerdonna; November 30th, 2013 at 08:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Admiral

I've been following your review
Thanks for sharing.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011