Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2013, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Default Royal Princess, Week 2, Day 5, St. Thomas

Royal Princess Week2, Day 5, St. Thomas

Thursday Nov. 7, 2013

At 7:00 a.m. we arrived in St. Thomas, in the port of Crown Bay.

James attempted going up to Horizon Court this morning, and managed a good breakfast. Then it was off to the medical centre for his I.V. antibiotic and injection. The doctor still suggested he get off in St. Thomas and go to the hospital for an ultrasound, but he refused. He was convinced he'd be fine if he stayed off the leg and rested, so he spent the morning doing just that in the cabin, while I disembarked briefly, still trying to find somewhere that could fix my glasses.

Much to my surprise, the entire port area of Crown Bay was already decorated for Christmas, and it was only Nov.7th!

There were many more shops open than the last time we had visited Crown Bay, but most of them were jewelry shops, and high end clothing. I did find one place that attempted to fix my glasses, but they didn't have the right size screw. Discouraged, I headed back to the ship, when there was a sudden heavy downpour, and I got thoroughly soaked by the time I made it back on board.

For lunch today, to change it up from the Horizon Court, I went back to the International Cafe, where I found a most delicious Beef and Guiness pie forJames, and more of that yummy chicken cashew Waldorf salad for me. I also got a scrumptious gluten-free dessert of blueberry and apricot rice pudding. I have to say, the ship's offerings of gluten-free desserts were delicious!

By the afternoon of this third day of being cabin-bound, James literally had cabin fever, so he decided to go to the pool, a short walk and elevator ride up. He managed a short swim and the exercise in the cool water felt good, then he sat in a deck chair for a while, leg elevated and covered with a wet towel.

After resting all afternoon, he felt well enough to try the dining room for dinner, the first time we'd been there all week. It was formal night, and we dressed accordingly, although I hope nobody noticed that he was not wearing any socks with his good suit and shiny shoes!

We had a nice table for two, and enjoyed an excellent dinner of chicken broth and vegetable soup and pan seared chicken for me, and cream of tomato soup and beef medallions for James, who had not had much appetite all week. He also enjoyed a nice fruit plate for dessert, and I, my favourite Love Boat Dream.

After dinner we went to the Princess Live! Theatre for Movie Music Trivia,which was interactive and fun, but by then James was feeling the pain and swelling again and went back to the room to rest. While he rested, I went back to watch the Marriage Match Game Show, hosted by CD Sam and Deputy Dan, which was most entertaining and very funny.

At 10:00 p.m. it was time for the second dose of antibiotics, so back to the medical centre we went. The doctor was not pleased to see the extent of the hot, inflamed and swollen leg, and was quite concerned, enough to tell James in no uncetain terms, he was confined to bed or risk amputation!

Poor man, he went back to the room and rested until he fell asleep, but I didn't want to miss a chance to see the Beatlemaniacs once again. They were doing a more informal show that night at 11:00 p.m. in the Piazza, and it was probably the most fun I'd had in the whole two weeks!

The Piazza was packed, not just the floor, dance floor and seating area, but on all 3 levels above, with people watching, singing and dancing to the rocking good music of the Beatlemanaics. They played until well after midnight, and for me, it was the highlight of the cruise.

Last edited by rollerdonna; December 1st, 2013 at 03:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2013, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Trying to add this.... hope it works!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Old December 1st, 2013, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Boy it sounds like James was really hurting, Bruce had that twice,but,not as severe as James...I am wondering if this insurance you had was what you've always had? The part about not allowing you to go to a Dr. in port is worrysome. Glad he is on the mend.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 1st, 2013, 06:34 PM
Admiral

The insurance covers you for medical care on the ship, but we were leery about the cost of an ambulance and ultrasound treatment OFF the ship, so opted not to go.

donna