Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Default This man's weight plan

- Yahoo Screen
I love this article because it makes a good point. What you eat is up to you and you only. You chose and no one can make those decisions for you. The government in my opinion should avoid any laws regarding fast food or any type of food. We are supposed to have freedom and the government has no right to regulate what goes into my body.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I totally agree that what we eat should be up to us.
I think an education on portion sizes would be very helpful to everyone.
My mom always said "all things in moderation."
Angela Z.
Old January 4th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Admiral

I also agree that our freedoms need to be preserved.

The government has no right to tell us what to eat.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old January 5th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Strangely enough, I cut back on my portions and I GAINED 17 over a year's time.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 5th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Admiral

So you are saying it's ok for Parents to serve their young children lots of sugar, sodium, processed red meats, sodas, candy,, chips, bacon, cooking in grease and going to MacDonalds three times a week, because that is what they choose to injest into their own bodies

I think there is a responsibilty to inform the public about the impact of this type of eating behavior, and the Parents can either elect to ignore the advise or do something about changing the pattern for future generations

I am sure you did not mean to imply that the govenment is trying to regulate what a grown person can/cannot do..there is a reason why there is a ****warning notice*** on every pack of "cigs"..you can still purchase (and pay a hefty surtax)

kids who attend Head Start receive healthy meal choices (fresh fruit etc)..Parents are encouraged and provided resources to mirror this at home (baked instead of fried chicken etc.) yet they refuse, then wonder why there is a health crisis in our Country

I can speak first hand about how much more expensive it cost to eat healthy (cardiac rehab takes a field trip to WalMarts )...once you are educated, then you make a choice

You are correct, you should always have the Right as to what goes in your body, whether it's good or bad for you, but what about your young kids
Old January 5th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Venice do you really believe there is a parent out there that doesn't know the fast food is bad? Or that foods high in fats and salt are bad? The fast food restaurants are already required to provide their nutrition information. I don't really have a problem with that. I also don't have a problem with programs like head start that help low income people eat health.

I have a problem with Felix Oritz (D) and his urge to tax us.

Center for Consumer Freedom ? New York State Assemblyman Felix Ortiz Proposes New Taxes on Food

'which seeks to place one-quarter of a percent tax on the sale of all items listed as snacks or sweets by the USDA National Nutrient Database. This even includes healthier options such as granola bars, low-fat popcorn, and brown rice cakes.'

BTW it always starts with a low rate like 1/4% then they slowly increase it over the years. Also a tax with this is a higher burden on low income people because taking a 1/4% of someone's money who is barely making it will put them in a bad financial way. Also any new tax needs to be enforced. The means larger government costs and this tax probably won't cover these costs.

Iowa was the first state to tax Cigarettes it was 2 cents a pack. Today Iowa charges $1.36 a pack and that is pretty low compared to other states. Beware when you allow these taxes because the congress uses it to inflict high taxes on all of us. I'm a non smoker so this tax doesn't impact me. But ask yourself where is this money spent. So I looked cause it's what I do.

"Distribution of Funds:
State General Fund and the Health Care Trust Fund"

General fund monies can be spent however, the Iowa government feels. I'm not picking on Iowa I pick them because they were first. Since they started it I will hold them accountable.

Cigarette & Tobacco Tax:
"Prior to July 1, 2011, all cigarette and tobacco products tax revenue was deposited to the State General Fund. Beginning FY 2012, the first $106.0 million of revenue from cigarette and tobacco taxes is deposited to the Health Care Trust Fund and the remainder is deposited to the State General Fund.'

The last 12 month period Iowa collected 222.1 in tax revenue.

All this information I got from the state's website and I linked the results to this post. So basically more then half of the cigarette tax collected in Iowa goes into the General Fund and disappears to pay for who knows what. So my opinion is they can cut this tax by half and it would have no impact on services related to helping stop cigarette dependance in the state. Congress uses us as there personal piggy bank and fast food is another attempt at taking our money.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 5th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Kat...I believe some Parents know and don't care because it works for their busy schedule and/or easy...plus, it's addictive...tv commercials mislead both Parents & Kids about the "healthy meals" served at fast food places or in the frozen foods section where one shops....my neighbors who work, will cook on their days off and freeze so during the week their kids put in the microwave...if you like a $1 item on the McDonalds menu, you don't care about the sodium content

The tax part of your post has merit..it's like playing the lottery where 50% is suppose to go into education, but winds up in the general fund to cover yearly shortfalls...Megaball & Poweball changed their rules to get larger payouts quicker, yet schools get worse not better

You are right, you can't tax away a bad habit (smoke, alcohol, grass, gas guzzling autos) which is why politicians learned from the Prohibition Era....they have found an easier way to exploit vices

Your OP addressed a different issue, then your follow up post to my post to your OP
Old January 5th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

What bothers me is that the manufacturers have changed the standard foods we buy. The amount of sugar (High Fructose Corn Syrup) and sodium is ridiculous. Sodium, in various forms, increases the shelf life of food and the increased sweetness and saltiness of foods makes them taste better for a lot of people. Personally, I think the saltiness of most processed foods is hideous.

I am not of the ilk that HFC is going to give your kids a genetic disorder or that GMO corn is going to kill you, what I am of the ilk of is that too much HFC is put in foods and GMO products don't have as good of a taste. But GMO products are easier to grow and have a higher yield.

Personally, I buy very little processed foods and I now can't stand most canned foods. Campbell's cream of mushroom soup (something I grew up with) almost makes me gag when I taste it.

I do believe that a consumer should be able to buy whatever they want but I also believe that people should be educated to the point where they can make an informed decision.

I also agree with Angela: Everything in moderation. My mother was a Registered Dietitian and she always said: "There are no "bad" foods. Just food that's bad for you if you eat too much of it.".

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 5th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Mike...I agree...living in New Orleans and healthy eating selections are seldom in the same sentence..it is with no small irony, that every year the International Association of Cardiologist hold their convention here, present papers during the day about all the foods that will kill you and at night eat our great food (that will kill you)

The good news is that there is a strong movement afoot to study Southern cooking habits and by small changes in seasoning and preparation (baking instead of frying), the food we love taste as good if not better with less sodium or fat..the killer in the South is "sweet tea"

My cardiac rehab team & dietitan worked with the Carnival Freedom staff that allowed me to complete my last 3 sessions while on my Jazz cruise last year..with alittle extra effort one can eat very healthy on a cruise and still indulge some of your favorites desserts etc and my weakness..pizza at 0230 am

When one goes shopping, one should boycott or only visit on special occasions the following aisles..the deli, frozen foods, canned goods, chips..
Old January 5th, 2014, 11:24 PM
Captain

"high-fructose corn syrup" and "refined white sugar" are two entirely different animals. HFCS is cheaper, but deadlier to the human metabolism. Sugar was bad enough... but as a sweetener HFCS has replaced sugar in most products nowadays. I used to drink Coca-Cola, and noticed the switch when it happened. I also can taste the difference in "Kosher" Coca-Cola, which is sometimes available for Passover in my market, with no chanhe in packaging.

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old January 6th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
"high-fructose corn syrup" and "refined white sugar" are two entirely different animals. HFCS is cheaper, but deadlier to the human metabolism. Sugar was bad enough... but as a sweetener HFCS has replaced sugar in most products nowadays. I used to drink Coca-Cola, and noticed the switch when it happened. I also can taste the difference in "Kosher" Coca-Cola, which is sometimes available for Passover in my market, with no chanhe in packaging.
In California a lot of stores sell Mexican Coca-cola that uses real sugar and you can tell the difference for sure.
Mexican Coca-Cola

USA Coca-Cola

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 6th, 2014, 12:56 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Ship2:

You are correct. There is a major difference between HFC and refined sugar. I should have said "sweetener" and not sugar. I am also amazed at the number of products that contain aspartame. Personally, I will get sick to my stomach if I eat anything with aspartame. I've been that way since they introduced "Nutrasweet" (What a B.S. name that was) in the mid-eighties. Even products that are not "diet" contain it and I was taken back when I saw how much of it is used in Europe. Of the three aspartame is the worst for me, with HFC a close second and good old sugar a distant third. None are health foods but I'll take good old sugar any day.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:20 AM
Captain

I could be wrong, but I think "Kosher" Coke is made with (unrefined) brown sugar.

A Google search confirms: Kosher Coke is the same as Mexican Coke.

Old January 7th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Familiar Face

This is a fantastic post. Thanks for taking the time to share. I would agree that everything in our lives is up to us, and only us. It isn't the programs on the market that fail so much as the people who purchase them. I understand that change is challenging and doesn't happen instantly. It is a gradual process that typically requires time, energy, and constant effort. Many of us want our lives to be different without being willing to make changes ourselves. The reality of life is that we get what we are, and we can't have anything different in our lives until we are willing to be different ourselves.
Old January 7th, 2014, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I think "Kosher" Coke is made with (unrefined) brown sugar.

A Google search confirms: Kosher Coke is the same as Mexican Coke.
Did you just say Katlady is right all hail the lady of kats. Because that's what I heard. See you just have to go to Mexico when it's not passover.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 7th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseAddict99 View Post
This is a fantastic post. Thanks for taking the time to share. I would agree that everything in our lives is up to us, and only us. It isn't the programs on the market that fail so much as the people who purchase them. I understand that change is challenging and doesn't happen instantly. It is a gradual process that typically requires time, energy, and constant effort. Many of us want our lives to be different without being willing to make changes ourselves. The reality of life is that we get what we are, and we can't have anything different in our lives until we are willing to be different ourselves.
You make an excellent point. Plus the high fat food is so damn good. If Brussels sprouts was that good I wouldn't have any problems. Sadly you have to add bacon to improve the favor and that misses the whole point.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 7th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Admiral

Kat..you ever had brussels sprouts with fried alligator?
Old January 7th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
Kat..you ever had brussels sprouts with fried alligator?
I haven't had the pleasure of Fried Alligator. My Crazy sis tried some while she was in New Orleans. She said it doesn't taste like chicken at all. But sadly I haven't cruised from there yet so no Fried Alligator. It's on my bucket list and I will try some then. I'm Portuguese so I grew up eating blood sausage I'm not afraid to try new things. You want to Fedex an order out to California I will take a picture of me eating it.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 8th, 2014, 01:01 AM
Captain

Welcome to Fear Factor (CruiseMates Edition)

Old January 8th, 2014, 01:02 AM
Admiral

You do know I live in the Andouille Sausage capital of the World and every October we have an Andouille Festival, which features everything with the sausage, including ice cream....I love it with chicken in my Gumbo

No way will I fedex you anything...you and Hubby have to come visit New Orleans and do a Mississippi River Cruise up to Memphis,,,,I'll take your Hubby over to visit the Duck Dynasty folks in Monroe , to do some hunting and attend Church.... while you go on an alligator swamp night tour and taste some alligator for yourself...it taste better with tabasco sauce and red beans....you do know how to Zydeco right

BTW...any bets the teacher who ate at McDonalds in your. original post, will be featured in an upcoming McDonalds national tv campaign....every dietitian in American must cringe when they see that video..his metabolism. Is rare
Old January 8th, 2014, 01:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
You do know I live in the Andouille Sausage capital of the World and every October we have an Andouille Festival, which features everything with the sausage, including ice cream....I love it with chicken in my Gumbo

No way will I fedex you anything...you and Hubby have to come visit New Orleans and do a Mississippi River Cruise up to Memphis,,,,I'll take your Hubby over to visit the Duck Dynasty folks in Monroe , to do some hunting and attend Church.... while you go on an alligator swamp night tour and taste some alligator for yourself...it taste better with tabasco sauce and red beans....you do know how to Zydeco right

BTW...any bets the teacher who ate at McDonalds in your. original post, will be featured in an upcoming McDonalds national tv campaign....every dietitian in American must cringe when they see that video..his metabolism. Is rare
Seriously it's cute how you think you can get my hubby into a church. He will going shooting with you I'm not sure about hunting but shooting sure and I'm coming too. Everything is better with a bit of heat. You teach me Zydeco I will teach you Fado it will be a whole thing. Did you read the article from the original post. The teacher was interesting he assigned his students to plan his food using the daily nutritional guides lines. The was the point he ate 2000 calories of healthy food at McDonalds. This was something I noticed when I changed my eating habits.

Certain foods are worst then you think and other and better then you thing. A doughnut is better for you calorie wise then a muffin. Bacon is better for you then Sausage links.

133 calories for two brown and serve sausage and 92 calories for two slices of bacon.

Glazed doughnut 190 Calories 11 grams of fat and Honey Raisin Bran Muffin 440 Calories 13 grams of fat I never touch another muffin after I found this out I prefer doughnuts anyway. Both are bad for you but given the choice at least the doughnut has fewer calories.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 8th, 2014, 05:13 AM
Admiral

How many calories in a Huddle House " Sausage Griddle Breakfast Plate"...the picture looks so good, I may have it Sunday after Church

I bet your Hubby would love to have an after Church picture with the Duck Dynasty stars.. ..knowing you, it would be posted on CM with a poll

thanks for the offer, but teaching me Fado may not work on 80's Night next October on the Carnival Freedom Capital Jazz SuperCruise...