Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Default Thursday Morning Hello

Morning Mates, well we survived another winter storm. Something like 30 cms fell and then blew all over the place. The plow guy didn't come until just a little while ago so I will not make it to aquafitness this morning. The schools are still closed and the RCMP is advising to stay off the roads until they are finished clearing them, so I'm not going anywhere till later.
I am hoping the mail comes today because I am waiting for a parcel. I am going to attempt a punch hook craft, never tried that before, so we'll see how that goes....
Speaking of parcels, I have to tell you a story.
We have a screen room attached to the back of the house where we keep the door closed AT ALL TIMES unless we are taking the dog out on a leash. It is a habit, because of the cat and the dog possibly getting out. The other day, the UPS guy delivered something and did not close the screen door. When we opened the back door for the parcel, Griffin bolted and headed for the open screen door. We yelled and the UPS guy made a flying leap, landing on his knees in the snow and captured Griffin in a tackle before he got away. Thank goodness! We thanked him profusely, inquired if his knees were OK, and vowed to get a big sign for the screen door: PLEASE CLOSE THIS DOOR BEHIND YOU!

donna
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:27 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning everyone from the balmy tundra of Minnesota.

It's cold and I have already cleared the drifts out of the driveway. At least the wind has somewhat abated so I don't think I'll have to do it again today. Blowing snow at -22F is "invigorating". My cheeks are a little numb but otherwise OK. It was cold enough that my fingers got cold through my, really good, ice fishing gloves. That's never happened before.

Many schools are either 2 hours late or closed today. Tomorrow will be a heat wave with a high of 32F. Break out the board shorts and sunscreen. However, it will be back into the deep freeze on Saturday. Betty has her women's group meeting today and I don't know if she's going to go or not. She has not yet emerged from hibernation. Otherwise it's laundry, vacuuming and dusting for Cinderfella.

I hope everyone stays warm and enjoys their Thursday.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Good morning Beloved Cruisemates!

Yeah, reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated, much, I'm sure, to the chagrin of some. :-) (The smiley's are not working as well).

Try to check in ever so often but haven't posted in awhile. I was recently informed that I'm a "medical miracle." I, however, prefer to consider any "miracle" not as a medical one, but as a result of that to which a hotdog company used to refer to as, "A Higher power."

Had my ICD replaced last Thursday and have the follow up appointment today. Had it all set up to listen to some loud old fashioned 60's and 70's Rock 'n roll blasting in the Cath Lab throughout the insertion of not only a new unit but an additional lead to I believe, my right ventricle. During surgery such as mine the patient usually stays awake but as some of my contemporaries who used to "indulge" when we were all younger, you are still, "Herbed out." Then Jeff entered and said that the insertion of the new lead was a lot more difficult than the original two (which this time were merely unplugged and plugged back to the new unit once he implanted it in my chest beneath the skin) and as a result, I would be, in essence, asleep. You're not deeply out (no gas, just IV) but so deep that you don't remember anything. Obviously, I didn't get to cognitively listen to "my music" for very long but Randall, the Biotronik rep who plays the base guitar in Jeff's band later chuckled, "But we sure enjoyed it and you appeared to do so as well!" I just replied, "You'uns are cruel!"

The nursing staff, along with Jeff's P.A., Julie, were rather exasperated when I drove myself back to Greeneville from Johnson City the following morning. Julie asked, "Who drove you up here yesterday? "Well", I said, "I did!" She then said, "But you can't drive with your arm in a sling!" I merely replied my personal axiom, "Watch, listen and learn!" I then promised to let her know when I got home. She's worse than my mother ever was, not to mention she is young enough to probably to be my granddaughter.

I am aware that many of you have really been hit with illness this winter and my best wishes for speedy and complete recoveries are extended to all in that boat.

I did find something out, however that I didn't know. Randall called me Saturday evening and I asked him, "Say Randall,, no one's ever mentioned it but do I have an enlarged heart?", He replied, "Uhhhhh...huh." I then asked, "slightly enlarged" which, following a pregnant pause, came another "Uhhhh...huh." This scenario repeated itself until I got to "Huge?" and received the same answer at which time we both started laughing. I asked him, "Does this mean I win a new car?" While an enlarged heart is treatable if one is extremely careful in following your cardiologist's regimen (picture me ever doing that), a hugely enlarged heart coupled with CHF, four cardiac arrests, and about seven garden variety heart attacks, means (as they say around these parts), "You best get right with God!" Now I know why something made me change (think once again, "Higher Power") from 66 years as an Episcopalian to become a Southern Baptist. Now that, my Christian friends, is what is known as, "Covering all of the bases."

You all are still in my nightly prayers, (like it or not) and I'll check back in......whenever.

Love to all!
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest.........

Not much changing here........fog.....cool...maybe some rain......

Y'all have a good day..........

Sharon
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Good morning

Hey Todd...what a great way to start my day....so nice to see you posting.

We're at about -2 this morning without the windchill and no relief in site.

Close call Donna....glad he didn't get away.

Have a great day

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

ALLURE OF THE SEAS FEB 2016.... Who's going with??
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:21 AM
First Mate

Here in Ottawa we are still in the deep freeze, however, seeing and reading Todd's post has warmed up my morning considerably. Have a great day everyone.

Keith.

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ~ Mae West

Old January 23rd, 2014, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Todd, you ARE a miracle, and I for one am glad to see you posting here today! (and I agree about the smilies!)

Donna
Old January 23rd, 2014, 01:24 PM
Admiral

Default Thursday Morning

Good morning. Weather? Same as always! We need the Indians to do a rain dance!

Todd, you are stunning!

We have no particular plans. Maybe a trip to Pasadena . . .

Have a good day, all.

Judy
Old January 23rd, 2014, 02:36 PM
Admiral

Todd it was great to see you posting today! You are in the cruisemate community's thoughts and prayers. It is still below twenty in Virginia Beach and the school's are still closed due to icy road conditions, mainly on the backroads. I skipped the gym this morning as walking on the ice scares me. Rob and I took The Tide to downtown Norfolk and went to one of the restaurants listed for "restaurant week." Last week, we went to Gordon Biersch in Virginia Beach. Restaurant week usually occurs the third or fourth week of January in most markets. Do try going if it is in your area; it's a great way to try restaurants that you might not have been to before. Hope that all my fellow cruisemates have a wonderful day!